Cotton ropes for rigging

Advert

Cotton ropes for rigging

Home Forums Sailing Models Cotton ropes for rigging

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Steve Porter 2
    Participant
      @steveporter2

Morning all, I wondered if anyone could help? Ism trying to finish my David Metcalf Moonbeam after a long lay off I am now sorting the standing rigging as supplied with the kit it has been washed and wound around a plastic tube until dry all as the instructions suggested but having made a pair for each side they still have a huge amount of stretch is this normal or should I stretch them as far as they will go before attaching the shroud blocks? I would like to stay true to the kit as opposed to using modern lines.

thanks in advance

Steve

Advert
      Steve Porter 2
      Participant
        @steveporter2
        Richard Simpson
        Participant
          @richardsimpson88330

Hi Steve, have you read this:

Moonbeam

Of particular interest is the description of the processes the author went through with the rigging cord. I'd be concerned as regards any stretch, you don't want that in standing rigging. Maybe following the advice might stabilise it though.

This is also a worthwhile read and might be worth contacting the builder:

Another Moonbeam

Probably one of the most comprehensive build threads you will come across!

Edited By Richard Simpson on 14/08/2022 08:50:39

Ray Wood 3
          Participant
            @raywood3

Hi Steve,

Have a look at Andrew Briggs's recent build thread – Moonbeam – a novices's attempt page 4 he covers the standing rigging he used Dyneema and stainless fishing trace wire, both are far superior to the line in the kit which is only a freelance design

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 14/08/2022 09:14:30

Richard Simpson
            Participant
              @richardsimpson88330

Ray, not sure the link works.

Ray Wood 3
              Participant
                @raywood3

Hi Richard,

I'm not clever enough to make a link to anything, I only highlighted the thread name that would be well above my pay grade

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 14/08/2022 09:14:57

Richard Simpson
                Participant
                  @richardsimpson88330

Ah, got it. My apologies Ray. This is the thread you are referring to:

Andrew Brigg's Moonbeam

Steve Porter 2
                  Participant
                    @steveporter2

Thanks for the replies guys I had seen the build threads very helpful. I will put some photos up soon might put some photos of my other build nearing completion as well.

Thanks again,

Steve

Cecil Webb
                    Participant
                      @cecilwebb96087

Waiting for your photo.

Steve Porter 2
                      Participant
                        @steveporter2

Hi all sorry about delay, work and family held things up, I am trying to put a short video on of the maiden voyage but for now I have managed to take this photo Moonbeam

Gareth Jones
                        Participant
                          @garethjones79649

One of the problems with the Moonbeam rigging design is that there is no effective backstay. The jib stay and fore stay tend to pull the mast so that it leans forward which I think spoils the look of the model. I seem to remember that the instructions call for the fore and aft shrouds to be made from a single length of line looped over a hook on each side of the mast. The tension in the fore and aft shrouds will be more or less the same so the aft shrouds cant act as an effective backstay to overcome the loads from the jib stay, fore stay and forward shrouds.

On my wife's Moonbeam model we made the fore and aft shrouds independent so that the aft ones could be pulled really tight and keep the mast more vertical. We also fitted a bowsie at the top of each shroud to make adjusting the tension easier than fiddling around with the dead eyes. In the end we also changed to shroud material to dacron cord which was much less stretchy than the cotton supplied with the kit.

It all ends up as a compromise between sticking to the kit contents and instructions and modifying it to sail with the mast upright. When the boat is on the water a leaning mast is pretty obvious but the material of the shrouds is not. I have seen some Moonbeam models with a third shroud, further back on each side to overcome this problem but that restricts the travel of the mainsail boom when running downwind.

Having said this, it is a lovely looking model, sails really well in very light winds and the forward leaning mast probably does not have much effect on the sail effectiveness. .

Gareth

Steve Porter 2
                          Participant
                            @steveporter2

Hi Gareth, we noticed the forward leaning mast on the maiden voyage, the day wasn’t particularly windy but when we had a short gust it did tend to push the bow down, next outing I will try to pull the mast back a bit more plus I may try a little more ballast in the stern other than that I found it a very pleasant boat to sail certainly held its own with the other two yachts that were on the water that day and they were considerably bigger.

Regards

Steve

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)