Brenda – A renaissance

Advert

Brenda – A renaissance

Home Forums Scratch build Brenda – A renaissance

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 51 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    neil hp
    Participant
      @neilhp

a beautiful model, of an equaly beautiful prototype built by Denny's of Dunbarton.

She was built specifically as a Fisheries protection vessel,. rather than a lot of later RN Ships that filled the gap, which a lot of navel architects thought them unsuitable for the job.

I went one year to the testing tanks at Dunbarton, similar to those at Teddington whilst my wife and kids were shopping, to look at the place…………amazing visit with a one to one guided tour by a retired worker and volunteer, and amongst all the old hulls some carved in yellow pine, others carved from solid bees wax was one hull that stood out from the tankers, cargo vessels and such was a hull of a sleak vessel with a whale back, about 12 feet in length, and as I was into trawlers at that time, asked which trawler it was a hull of……….

Oh that one!….she was a fisheries patrol vessel called Brenda!…….she was built here in Dunbarton on similar lines to a trawler……….

I had never heard of her at that point…..round about 2010………. but always remember her from Colins articles later publshed.

Wouldn't be surprised if the tank test model isn't still there……….if any of you are up there next summer take a diversion to Dunbarton…..those test tanks are really worth a visit……..very interesting indeed.

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 27/10/2022 13:18:28

Advert
      Richard Simpson
      Participant
        @richardsimpson88330

Absolutely beautiful model Colin. She definitely has that trawler look about her which give her really attractive lines.

Colin Bishop
          @colinbishop34627

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, a lovely prototype, hardly a straight line in her. The appearance was no accident though, it was intentional to allow the ship to creep up on unsuspecting errant fishermen without being identified as a government vessel.

When I was researching her I was lucky to have a helpful correspendence with one of her captains. who sent me some photos and other information. She actually carried several different colour schemes during her career beginning with light overall Admiralty Grey, then black hull with duck egg blue superstructure and finally overall duck egg blue. I didn't like the duck egg blue in model form and thought she looked much better in her original overall grey. This may be incorrect for some of the later fittings such as the inflatable boat although I don't know when that was first carried. Anyway, a bit of modeller's licence does little harm when firm information is not available.

Colin

James Hill 5
          Participant
            @jameshill5

I have to agree with other comments on here Colin, that is a stunning model. The amount of detail you`ve included is exceptional.

Can I ask what you use for your wires ( from the mast etc.) My last build had some on it but I was reluctant to put them on in case they were broken in transit anywhere. Having seen what you`ve managed and the difference it makes to the model I think I`ll have another look at mine and see what can be done.

Jim.

Colin Bishop
              @colinbishop34627

James, the vertical wires up the mast are of thin thread but the longer, more vulnerable stays are of thin 'shirring' elastic which remains taut and has plenty of 'give' if knocked accidentally.

Colin

James Hill 5
              Participant
                @jameshill5

Thanks for that Colin. I`ll make a note of it.

Jim.

Viewing 6 posts - 51 through 56 (of 56 total)