Wool Clipper Completed

Advert

Wool Clipper Completed

Home Forums Static modelling Wool Clipper Completed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Bob Wilson
    Participant
      @bobwilson59101

Completed half an hour ago. (16th Oct. 2016 1645BST).

Bob

in sea 3.jpg

Advert
      Bob Wilson
      Participant
        @bobwilson59101
        Banjoman
        Participant
          @banjoman

An absolutely stunning model, Bob! Not that that is in any way surprising, given that it is by you, but it still deserves to be said!

Mattias

Bob Wilson
          Participant
            @bobwilson59101

Thanks. It took 65 hours to build.spread over 38 days.

Bob

Bob Abell 2
            Participant
              @bobabell2

Simply splendid, Bob

Is it of any interest, to suggest a sailing ship, alongside a jetty with sails furled……on a glassy sea?

Just an idea

Bob

Bob Wilson
              Participant
                @bobwilson59101

Well, I have often thought about it, bute not so far got round to building one, probably because it would require the development of more skills such as making buildings etc, and would also increase the size of the model. I have built two or three dioramas, but not involving wharfs or buildings. Example below, Skeleton Coast Shipwreck, I may get round to one some day, because the idea does appeal, but it keeps getting put off!

Bob

skeleton coast wreck.jpg

Colin Bishop
                  @colinbishop34627

I prefer the clippers to the big multi master sailing ships used for nitrates etc. The clippers look much more attractive and better proportioned and I think Wairoa must be one of your best Bob. Is she going to a new home?

Colin

Bob Wilson
                  Participant
                    @bobwilson59101

I like both types equally, it just depends on how I am feeling as to what I build next. Someone has their eye on this one, but I don't mind if it stays around for a while, as I quite like it myself.

Bob

Bob Abell 2
                    Participant
                      @bobabell2

Hello Bob

What are your comments on this strange sail set up?

It's almost a yacht at the stern?

Bob

image.jpeg

Banjoman
                      Participant
                        @banjoman

Bob,

To me that looks like a normal, three-masted barque; it might just be because the spanker hasn't been set that it has a slightly unusual look to it … ?!

Mattias

Bob Abell 2
                        Participant
                          @bobabell2

Hi Banjo

I think the jibby looking sail, in front of the spanker is the unusual feature?

It almost has the look of a Dhow, as seen on the Nile?

Bob

Banjoman
                          Participant
                            @banjoman

Bob,

Again, I think it is just the visual absence of the spanker that draws the eye to the mizzen staysail, which to the best of my knowledge is pretty much a standard sail in a barque rig (and in many fullrigged ships, too, although there I think you might find some that only have the mizzen top and topgallant staysails).

Mattias

Edited By Banjoman on 19/10/2016 09:43:09

Bob Wilson
                            Participant
                              @bobwilson59101

It is a 100% normal barque! The triangular sail forward of the mizzen is the mizzen staysail. As Mattias says, the spanker has not been set. Possibly the photograph was taken from the pilot boat, and now the pilot has gone, they are completing setting the sails. The mainsail has just been released, and no doubt when that is set, the spanker will be set as well. The image below is the barque Svaerdstad, showing the mizzen staysail from a side view.

Bobsvaerdstad.jpg

Bob Abell 2
                              Participant
                                @bobabell2

Thanks Bob and Banjo

I was only curious

Bob

Peter Fitness
                                Participant
                                  @peterfitness34857

Absolutely marvellous Bob but, as Mattias said, not surprising given your record of achievements. A real little gem.

Peter.

Bob Wilson
                                  Participant
                                    @bobwilson59101

Thanks,

I put it in its case yesterday afternoon at about 1300 hrs. It was sold by about 1930 hrs the same day!smiley

I have never really understood why they are so popular with collectors, but so unpopular (as far as building them is concerned) with ship model builders!

Bob

1 enhanced (large).jpg

Colin Bishop
                                      @colinbishop34627

Collectors and modellers tend to be rather different people Bob. I do collect 1:1250 scale metal liners but have no urge to build them myself. I regard it as a completely separate interest from my modelmaking. Likewise I enjoy marine pictures and have lots on the wall but have no desire to paint one myself.

As far as modelmaking is concerned 'miniatures' have always been a niche within a niche hobby where the main focus tends to be on working models of one description or another or static relatively large scale models such as the 'Nelson's Navy' type of vessel.

If you do make miniatures what can you do with them apart from displaying them on the wall which is not necessarily going to go down well with the female half of the partnership. You can do things with working models and a big model of HMS Victory will be admired by all and sundry if you have the space for it. Your particular models do make attractive displays at the scale you prefer but most miniatures are much smaller and unless you have some interest in maritime matters they don't mean very much. to the public at large so you can't really show them off.

I really don't understand why you should be surprised about this, it's just the way things are.

Colin

Bob Wilson
                                      Participant
                                        @bobwilson59101

Nevertheless, it does.

Many of the people who buy them have never been to sea at all. I have also found that females would rather have miniatures lying around, than large cased or uncased models of Victory etc, taking up space and collecting dust…. Also, I often hear wives saying to their husbands when they are looking at miniatures "why can't you build small ones rather than cluttering up the place with large ones?" Although it surprises me, I prefer it that way because if everyone was building them, it would be harder for me to sell them!sad

My wife doesn't bother at all, and even paints the seas for me!heart When one sells, I hand all the proceeds over to her.

My books on how to build them also seem very popular and Miniature Shipbuilder 2015 is now sold out after being reprinted about ten times, but although modellers like to read them, the normal response is "I would like to, but I could never do that!"

Bob

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)