USS Wolverine IX64

Advert

USS Wolverine IX64

Home Forums Static modelling USS Wolverine IX64

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Vinnie Branigan
    Participant
      @vinniebranigan92297

Bill Waldorf builds a coal-fired paddlewheel aircraft carrier!

Vinnie

Advert
      ARH
      Participant
        @arh

Bill moved to Florida because his wife got a job there, but tragedy struck a few weeks ago, Bill,s wife barbra died, and our good friend has had his heart ripped out, he is part way through another fine build, and has stopped because he is in pieces, my heart goes out to him and his family.

Vinnie Branigan
        Participant
          @vinniebranigan92297

My condolences to Bill for his loss.

Vinnie

David Brawn
          Participant
            @davidbrawn44932

hi

i have read about two models now and to be honest it has scared me to death. i have never done any moddling at all and if i had read what i have since yesterday may never have joined.

I hope i am not the only one that feels it may have been a mistake. David

Roberto Carena
            Participant
              @robertocarena91208

Hi
              Compliments for the realization! I am a plastic ship modeler and write from Turin – Italy. I wanted to realize the ship in scale 1/700. I am trying the designs and the plans of construction. It can help me? The book from cited she has illustrations and designs?

Thanks and ciao
              Roberto Carena

Doug Wilde
              Participant
                @dougwilde45881

In answer to Roberto’s question, no, the drawings in Paul Somers’ book are not sufficient to produce a model.

The best plans are on two rolls of microfilm at the National Archives in College Park, Maryland. They are rolls 32138-1 and 32144-2 and cost US$65-70 each. Then you need a microfilm reader and printer.

Alternatively, The Floating Drydock offers a copy of the Booklet of Plans for US$30. This is the URL:

http://www.floatingdrydock.com/G.htm

Look down the list at the end of the Aircraft Carrier section for G-IX64. I cannot vouch for the quality of their prints. I am fortunate enough to work with first generation copies from the original drawings.

One last sticking point, neither the USS WOLVERINE nor USS SABLE were aircraft carriers. They were aircraft training vessels. They had an IX designation (unclassified) rather than the CVx assigned to true aircraft carriers.

Doug Wilde

James R Garrity
                Participant
                  @jamesrgarrity33823

Greetings:  Tho I am almost 80 I can remember the day my dad came home to tell us hewas offered a post with the US Navy on the Greater Buffalo.  He worked on the Greater Detroit, which a year or so later I also was a seaman.  I was to learn the Greater Detroit like my own back yard which is to say you did a great job on a ship you never saw.  I had only seen the C&B once.  Around 1950 or so my dad was getting ready for work when he heard over the radio that the D&C company was no longer in business.  That was a very sad day for all of us.  I hope to see your model some day.  Did you know that there is a model of the Greater Detroit at the Great Lakes Mus. in Detroit. Jim, Branford, Fl

Vinnie Branigan
                  Participant
                    @vinniebranigan92297

Feature

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)