Tramp Steamer – 1929

Advert

Tramp Steamer – 1929

Home Forums Scratch build Tramp Steamer – 1929

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 101 through 112 (of 112 total)
  • Author
    Bob Wilson
    Participant
      @bobwilson59101

dscf6113 (large).jpgI have now fitted the new rails round the poop, and also added the two topmasts –

This is an experiment with the camera settings. I don't normally use flash, but I put it on on this occasions, even though there was plenty of natural light. I feel that it enhanced the colour and sharpness of the images.

dscf6110 (large).jpg

Advert
      Colin Bishop
        @colinbishop34627

You don't seem to be enjoying this one much Bob. Why did you choose it?

Colin

Bob Wilson
        Participant
          @bobwilson59101

I think the ship is just great, and I am very pleased with the model as well, but I have publicised it far too much, most of my models are built behind closed doors, so to speak, or with nowhere near as much publicity as this one. But in any case, I always get fed up with them towards the end. I did 3 1/2 hours on it today – pushing to complete – and it tired me out!

This is the last one I did, and it really "flowed," but hardly anyone knew that I was building it.

gorsefield dscf9055 (large).jpg

Bob Wilson
          Participant
            @bobwilson59101

Feeling like doing something less exacting, I today completed the inner base and edging, and also made and fitted the nameplates.

nameplate imgp9152 (large).jpg

Bob Wilson
            Participant
              @bobwilson59101

Baron Vernon, 13th June, 2022

Everything is becoming a supreme effort now. This morning, I completed the last two large winches. The funnel steam pipes, ladder side rails, and ensign staff,.

Tomorrow, I hope to fit the last few items, the largest of which is the gig and davits.

Making, fitting and rigging the 10 derricks should be easy enough, – a lot less complicated than masting & rigging a square-rigger –

baron verno large winches (large).jpg

Bob Wilson
              Participant
                @bobwilson59101

I have now completed the ladder sides. Fitted the funnel and steam pipes. Completed and fitted the two winches about. Fitted the ensign staff. Only the gig and davits to make and fit, and maybe one or two small items that I may have overlooked, and then I can go onto the masting and rigging that should be "a piece of cake!"

Bob Wilson
                Participant
                  @bobwilson59101

Morning of 14th June 2022

89 dscf6116 (large).jpg

Bob Wilson
                  Participant
                    @bobwilson59101

Baron Vernon

14th June, 2022

I completed and fitted the gig today (other side of model). The model is now mounted on the baseboard. It is safer to rig models while on the baseboard, as it is so easy to damage them when they are rigged, and one is fumbling about securing them to the base.

No doubt I will find a few items that I have missed off tomorrow, and fit them before starting the rigging.

Rigging is a relatively simple matter, and I feel that I am at last on the "home-run."

2 bv on baseboard.jpg

1 bv on baseboard.jpg

Bob Wilson
                    Participant
                      @bobwilson59101

Baron Vernon, 15th June, 2022

Today, I made, painted and fitted the ten derricks. But no rigging has been added yet. The derricks are all free swinging at the moment, as they all have pintles.

I also felt that the topmasts were too thick, so I took them out, and replaced them with thinner ones.

baron vernon with derricks dscf6124 (large).jpg

Bob Wilson
                      Participant
                        @bobwilson59101

16th June, 2022

Today, I competed the two masts. This meant making and fitting the mast tables and guardrails, and four blocks for the derricks on each mast, so there is not much to see, so I have not photographed it today, as the paint is still drying on the masts.

I am now ready for the rigging that is just wire and running blocks. All the spars in the form of derricks, are in position, and the masts ready to glue in position when the paint is dry.

The rigging will be done in three distinct sections:

Forward of the bridge.

The 'midship island including derricks, funnel stays and lifeboat davits.

Aft of the 'midship island.

None of this should take very long, but I may well only do one section a day.

Completion is now only a matter of hours away!

Bob Wilson
                        Participant
                          @bobwilson59101

2 dscf8003 (large).jpgBaron Vernon

Friday, 17th June, 2022

I decided to "work to finish today," and completed the whole of the rigging in just under four hours, in two two-hour sessions.

I have probably missed a few minor details off, but over the next few days, I will check it, and add any missing parts, but as far as photographs are concerned, they would probably not even show up, so this is the final completed image.

I am very glad to have finally got this one "off my back!"

I will be doing nothing for the rest of the week-end.

1 dscf8001 (large).jpg

Frank Burroughs
                          Participant
                            @frankburroughs42570

I am looking for this to be a scratch project. Thanks for the intriguing look into the project.

Viewing 12 posts - 101 through 112 (of 112 total)