Tramp Steamer – 1929

Advert

Tramp Steamer – 1929

Home Forums Scratch build Tramp Steamer – 1929

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 112 total)
  • Author
    Bob Wilson
    Participant
      @bobwilson59101

Friday, 13th May, 2022

Today, I made 9 cargo winches. Each winch is 0.16 inches square. They look a bit rough in the photograph, but that is because they are so small. In real life, the look pretty neat, and after they have been spray painted, should look a lot better.

They were made from very thin styrene sheet, a bit of styrene channel, bell wire, and its plastic insulation for the drums. No soldering was involved, and they were all stuck together with superglue. Not difficult, but rather tedious.

I now have two slightly larger warping winches to make, and the anchor windlass.

I used fine tweezers to assemble them (a common statement is “My fingers are too clumsy for fine work!” – So are mine – hence the tweezers).

62 baron vernon  cargo winches - 9 of (large).jpg

Advert
      Colin Bishop
        @colinbishop34627

Those winches look great Bob. I have lots to make for my 1:150 scale projects.

A bit off topic Ray,

I only just remember steam on the main line and I'm 66

We spent most of this week on the Isle of Wight and visited the steam railway, great fun. One of the engines there used to be in steam when we spent our holidays there back in the late 50s, early 60s. It pulled us around a few times back then!

Colin

Bob Wilson
        Participant
          @bobwilson59101

Thanks Colin,

The first two took quite a long time to make, as I was still trying to figure out how to do it, but the rest were made a lot quicker. Some of them are not quite right, so I will probably make some replacements now I have got the hang of it. Ar 0.16 inches square, they are rather small and look a lot better in real life – Bob

Bob Wilson
          Participant
            @bobwilson59101

Monday, 16th May, 2022

A few more mall items have now been completed. I made and painted the funnel, and am waiting for the paint to dry. I fitted the cabs to the end of the bridge wings and have also made the parts for 12 large cowl ventilators. These are turned from brass rod. I now need to solder the hollow cowls to the top of the shafts. A simple enough process (if you know how), that will only take a few minutes.

ventilators (large).jpg

Bob Wilson
            Participant
              @bobwilson59101

As this build progresses, I wonder if it has kindled the remotest desire in anyone to try scratch-building this type of ship, or even read up on the fascinating history of tramp steamers in general,or is it just something to follow out of idle curiosity, and sidelined until the next installment?

Is it too simple, or is it too difficult, or is it just too ugly and boring a subject to bother with?

I know that collectors fall over themselves over this type of model, but I also find that there seems to be little enthusiasm amongst ship model builders to build them.

Ray Wood 3
              Participant
                @raywood3

Hi Bob,

I think the simple truth is this forum is for model boats which are designed and built to float and sail with our clubmates for fun, I think we enjoy watching your branch of ship building, but find little to add to your fine builds and onward sale to your collectors.

Regards Ray

Bob Wilson
                Participant
                  @bobwilson59101

Hi Ray

I have built R/C in the past – One tramp steamer – see below, and one three-masted schooner – I would do so now if we had any water nearby. I guess you are correct, and this forum is more for boats, where my interest is in ships.. I will, of course, carry on the Baron Vernon build to completion, but it is unlikely that I will post any more building logs, either here or any other forums, although I will post completed models. The flagstones that the Mandalay is stood on are two feet square, so you can see it was a large model. I gave it away eventually to one of my regular clients for miniatures, because it was taking up too much space – Pretty much winding down now I am 78.

Bob

mandalay (medium).jpg

Edited By Bob Wilson on 17/05/2022 08:37:47

Bob Wilson
                  Participant
                    @bobwilson59101

Wednesday, 18th May, 2022

Baron Vernon

Some of the larger cowl ventilators. Brass rod, and the hollow cowls turned on the lathe and soldered to the top of the shafts.

ventilators & funnel imgp9112 (large).jpg

Bob Wilson
                    Participant
                      @bobwilson59101

65 dscf6055 (large).jpg64 dscf6052 (large).jpgWednesday, 18th May, 2022

On studying the original plan, I could see that I had made the six hatches too high, the tops actually came lower than the bulwarks, so I discarded the originals and made another six. I also decided to have the coamings painted mast colour rather than red oxide. I have no idea what colour they were in the original ship, but mast colour livens things up on an otherwise drab ship. I did not add the time it took to make the replacement hatches to the total building time. I also fitted the funnel mounting. This is just a wooden peg glued in the top of the engine casing, that the funnel will be glued over eventually. Nothing is fixed down yet.

I have also been making lots of small cowl ventilators.

63 dscf6050 (large).jpg

Bob Wilson
                      Participant
                        @bobwilson59101

Sunday, 22nd May, 2022

Baron Vernon.

It hasn't progressed much lately, as I was laid low for two days after having the 4th Covid booster late last week. That was followed by attending the monthly model ship society yesterday.

The poop deckhouse and the two mast-houses have been roughly shaped, and all the ventilators fitted to the forecastle heard.

I have also made a new rail-winding jig.

I will be glad when this one is finished, and I can withdraw from the public gaze as far as build logs are concerned. I intend to do more writing after this.

66 dscf6057 (large).jpg

67 dscf6058 (large).jpg

Trevor Holloway
                        Participant
                          @trevorholloway99134

Bob,

Certainly looking good and the yellow coamings add interest.

Please keep us posted.

Bob Wilson
                          Participant
                            @bobwilson59101

Thanks Trevor,

Monday, 23rd May, 2022

Baron Vernon

Today, I added the poop deck house, and Nr 6 hatch, also on the poop.

When it came to the two mast houses, things were not as straight-forward. A very close inspection of the original plan (very faded) and a photograph of the actual ship, showed that each one actually consisted of two square structures with a large ventilator in the top of each, and a platform between them, through which the masts passed. From above on the plan view, they at first appeared to be normal oblong deckhouses.

Making these out of wood was totally beyond my capabilities, so I got out the brass. The square parts are standard square section with the platforms soldered across the tops. the ventilator shafts were round brass rod with hollowed out brass cowls, soldered on top. These are a push fit in the square sections at the moment, but will eventually be glued in.

Not much point in me saying it is easy, although I had no trouble with it – matter of practice, I suppose. These models do not build themselves, and do require a certain amount of practice and work. But to me, that is the whole point of the exercise, to make every part myself. (An outdated idea).

mast houses (large).jpg

Bob Wilson
                            Participant
                              @bobwilson59101

Tuesday 24th May 2022

Baron Vernon.

A few more items have been completed such as the ventilator assemblies at the base of the masts, four tall cowl ventilators forward of the funnel, and the poop deck-house.

There is still a long way to go, guardrails, make & fit more winches, midship bulwark panels, ladders, guard rails, masts, derricks, rigging, lifeboats, gig, various water tanks, engine-room skylights, wheelhouse, awning spars etc. The more that goes on, the better it will look.

Although there has been an enormous amount of views to this build, but there has been no indication whatsoever that it has encouraged anyone to try building this type of model themselves, or even read up on life aboard, and the trading pattern of this type of ship.

It sure was a “Cinderella” profession, but if I could have my time again I would still choose the merchant navy as a career (the merchant navy of the 50s, 60s 70s or 80s that is). But if I was leaving school today, I would not even consider going to sea – modern ships just leave me cold!

69 dscf6061 (large).jpg

Bob Wilson
                              Participant
                                @bobwilson59101

Wednesday 25th May, 2022

Baron Vernon

Work went backwards today. On considering the bridge structure, I decided that it it was not good enough, so I set out to make a new one, this time out of thin aluminium. It is now almost complete, and a lot better than the original.

When this sort of thing has happened in the past, I have usually been dismayed to hear people say they cannot see any difference. I guess a lot of folk are just not very observant.

A mediocre model I built 40 years ago, and sold for £16, turned up on Ebay for 99p with no reserve. It sold for over £400 to someone in the US. I contacted them with a photograph of a model of a similar ship just completed, but was amazed to hear that they could see no difference in quality. It made me feel that I had been wasting my time, striving to improve for all those years, only to find that most folk could not see any difference!

I am now ready to move forward again tomorrow, with the completion of the new bridge.

Edited By Bob Wilson on 25/05/2022 19:13:31

Bob Wilson
                                Participant
                                  @bobwilson59101

Thursday, 26th May, 2022

Baron Vernon

The new bridge has now been fitted. In the photographs, it does not look a great deal different to the original, but in real life, it is considerably better.

I can now move ahead with more fine detail.

73 dscf6062 (large).jpg

Bob Wilson
                                  Participant
                                    @bobwilson59101
                                    27th May, 2022
                                    I decided to take maybe two days off from building the Baron Vernon, and for a change have been drawing up a lines plan for a steel barque, beginning with the body plan. I am no marine draughtsman, but feel that I am improving rapidly with these drawings, and find them very relaxing, especially after a major shopping spell this morning that involved three supermarkets, but now well-stocked with food.
                                    The internet has also been playing up, and I could not get back online for a while. I phoned up Sky, and an automatic voice kept telling me to go to their website, but I couldn't do that, because it didn't work. I have finally got in again using the Chrome browser rather than the Firefox one.
                                    Here is the body plan that I drew this afternoon –
                                    body plan complete.jpg
                                    Bob Wilson
                                    Participant
                                      @bobwilson59101
                                      Saturday, 28th May, 2022
                                      Baron Vernon
                                      Today, I discovered that the accommodation around the engine casing was slightly too large, and could not be corrected easily. It was not glued in position, so I made another one, and it fits much better. This is now glued in position. So, altogether, I have made the whole 'midship island twice, but am very happy with the improved look. I have not added all this extra work to the building time. I am at last ready to move ahead again.

Edited By Bob Wilson on 28/05/2022 21:06:13

Bob Wilson
                                      Participant
                                        @bobwilson59101

Is anyone actually interested in builds like this, other than a casual curiosity?

Is anyone planning on building anything like this, or even remotely interested in the subject? (beyond curiosity),

Ray Wood 3
                                        Participant
                                          @raywood3

Hi Bob,

Most of us are interested in anything that floats, maybe here in lies the problem ? your question is rather retorical on the basis that we all do different types of craft, I get one or two comments on my builds which is encouraging some times. Maybe as has been said this is the wrong platform for you miniatures ?

Would you take the lead from any of the other threads on this forum and consider building a cabin cruiser for a change ?? I somehow doubt it.

I better put my tin hat on now

Regards Ray

Bob Wilson
                                          Participant
                                            @bobwilson59101

Hi Ray,

Thanks for reply. No, I would not take the lead from threads building cabin cruisers, yachts warships, boats etc, because not being interested in them, I never even look at the builds of such things. But over 2,000 views of the tramp steamer with virtually no dialogue, puzzles me. Why do folk look, if they are not interested enough to make any comments, good or bad?

I would take up R/C modelling if there was any water around here – but there isn't!

I know the ship is not exactly a "good looker," but in my plan downloads, it is now in second place, the most popular being the steam collier Gorsefield.

You are no doubt correct, and this is the wrong platform – I am not looking for a never-ending stream of praise, but even some, or a lot of criticism would be better than a long run of silence. I feel that forums should be for discussion.

I will see the Baron Vernon out to completion here on MB, but it is extremely unlikely that I will be putting any more on, either here, or elsewhere – (apart from my Facebook group, that is).

Bob

Bob Wilson
                                            Participant
                                              @bobwilson59101

75 dscf6068 (large).jpgSunday, 29th May, 2022

Baron Vernon

I am now moving forward again, and have made and fitted the windlass and mooring bits to the forecastle head. You may notice that three tall cowl ventilators are missing from just in front of the funnel. I had drilled holes for two of them in the wrong place. I have filled these in and and re-painted the deck, but have not drilled the new holes yet. The third ventilator, I have lost. This happens with monotonous regularity, and experience tells me it is a waste of time looking for it, so I will just have to make another.

77 dscf6069 (large).jpg

Colin Bishop
                                                @colinbishop34627

Bob,

I don't think 'casual curiosity' is the right description. This must be the umpteenth time you have asked this question and I think Ray's response is typical. Your modelling is very much a niche category but that doesn't mean that it is not appreciated. Like Ray I like all sorts of modelling, even dolls houses as I can appreciate the skill put into them. But my own modelling tends to lie elsewhere, there is only so much time available.

I don't think you will ever rekindle interest into Britain's now virtually defunct Merchant Navy, it is a lost cause as time has moved on. Nevertheless I find your posts really interesting and always view them whether elegant sailing clippers or more down to earth tramp steamers.

I could see from your posts the improvements made in your second version of the bridge structure but you had already explained this so not much point in repeating it back to you so didn't post on it myself.

I think if people are still looking then that is a good reason to continue but obviously that is up to you. I sometimes post information on my own projects but am rather laid back as to what extent people look at them or respond.

Colin

Bob Wilson
                                                Participant
                                                  @bobwilson59101

Colin,

I don't need to rekindle interest in Britain's MN. It is actually enormous and overwhelming, but not amongst model shipbuilders. At one stage, I had 24 models on order,and it was taking over my life. I am continually getting asked to take on private commissions, as a special "one off!" And I did go along with that for a while a few years ago, but I again finished up with another waiting list.

Even my latest decision to make it personal collection only (because of increasing transit damage) has not deterred a lot of people.

I just like talking to people with similar interests, and that is what I felt forums were for, but it seems not.

No doubt it is a flaw in my character – but having dealt with communications all my working life, I got kinda used to it and I get no satisfaction from forums empty of conversation –

Bob

Bob Wilson
                                                  Participant
                                                    @bobwilson59101

This is the Merchant Navy group on Facebook (Not my group), and there are 4,900 members and it is extremely active and busy every day of the year – So you can see – there is plenty of interest –

**LINK**

Colin Bishop
                                                      @colinbishop34627

Sorry Bob but I'm not on Facebook, nor want to be. Pleased to hear that you have the support there though.

Perhaps there is just a bit of a difference between the Merchant Navy Group and modellers?

As far as this site is concerned, there is defintiely an interest in your models but I don't know if it is sufficient to encourage you to continue to post. Your decision.

I would be sorry if you decided not to do so but thtis ultimately up to you.

Colin

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 112 total)