Tramp Steamer – 1929

Advert

Tramp Steamer – 1929

Home Forums Scratch build Tramp Steamer – 1929

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 112 total)
  • Author
    Bob Wilson
    Participant
      @bobwilson59101

Colin

It is not exactly support, I am just one of thousands, and we all interact together, not really connected with ship modelling, but a common interest in our old (defunct) profession. Most of my recent shipmates are there (by recent, I mean over the last 40 years), but my oldest friend dates back to 1962 when we joined the iron ore carrier Joya McCance at South Shields in 1962.

I will no doubt post co9mpleted models here, but I couldn't really face a continuous illustrated building progress like the Baron Vernon.

I guess we are all living in the past when we get on there and start reminiscing.

Bob

Advert
      Bob Wilson
      Participant
        @bobwilson59101

Monday, 30th May, 2022

Baron Vernon.

I have now practically finished the forecastle head. This involved making and fitting the guardrails, anchor cables, a small cowl ventilator, the forward davit and the awning spars. The awning spars were a pain in the neck, The first lot looked too clumsy, so I removed them and made a new lot that look much better. I just need to paint the cowl of the forward ventilator red, and then I can move somewhere else on the model.

79dscf6073 (large).jpg

Colin Bishop
          @colinbishop34627

Bob, that is excellent detail on such a small model, very impressive.

Colin

Ray Wood 3
          Participant
            @raywood3

Hi Bob,

I really like the forecastle fittings, would the Awning framework only be rigged when in a very hot country ??

Regards Ray

Bob Wilson
            Participant
              @bobwilson59101

Thanks – The awning spars were there all the time, but in hot weather, they may have put canvas awnings over it to keep the heat out of the forecastle where the crew lived. At that time, all living accommodation had to have a wooden deck over it, and awning spars.

Even so, it was not very pleasant for them living in the forecastle –

This is what was inside it in the Baron Vernon

Hard times –

forecastle compele with lettering copy.jpg

Edited By Bob Wilson on 30/05/2022 18:59:52

Bob Wilson
              Participant
                @bobwilson59101

I have not done much today – didn't feel like it! But I did produce some ladders side that took half an hour. They are made from 33 swg tinned copper wire, soldered. Each side consists of four separate pieces of wire. They look pretty rough, but this is a big enlargement, in real life, they look just great! –

ladder sides.jpg

Bob Wilson
                Participant
                  @bobwilson59101

ventilator construction 2 (large).jpgFriday, 3rd June, 2022

Baron Vernon

Today, I felt like doing something as boring as it was simple, so sat down to make a few ventilators and some more ladder side rails. The ventilator shafts of the smaller vents were copper wire that I had converted into straight copper rod. The larger shafts were brass. All the cowls were made from brass rod, hollowed out on the lathe and soldered to the top of the shafts. They were spray painted.

I made this lot whilst listening to a "talking book!"

ventilator construction 1 (large).jpg

Bob Wilson
                  Participant
                    @bobwilson59101

1 dscf6074 (large).jpg4th June, 2022

Baron Vernon

I am now going to make a concentrated effort to complete this model, and hope that there are only a few days work left in it. I was up at 0600 this morning, and got quite a lot done before breakfast.

This build log is now like a millstone round my neck, and I can't wait to complete it!

3  dscf6076 (large).jpg

Ray Wood 3
                    Participant
                      @raywood3

Hi Bob,

Are you doing this build as some kind a penitence, you should be enjoying It ??

Still think of how jealous we will all be when you sell it for ££££££

Regards Ray

Bob Wilson
                      Participant
                        @bobwilson59101

Hi Ray,

I enjoy building them more when no-one knows what I am building. I had hoped to see examples of others tramp steamer here, also a fair amount of general discussion. We will probably keep it for a while, as we don't like them to go immediately. My wife likes them as they are small, and in display cases, and even helps by painting the seas where necessary. Also, when I was at sea, she traveled with me on a number of voyages on the passenger/cargo liner service from the UK to Cape Town via the Canaries, Ascension Island, and St Helena, so got plenty of experience of the sea, and sea conditions, passengers and crew. Her grandfather was a merchant seaman, in both sail and steam in the late 19th century and early 20th century – so the sea is in the in the blood.

Collectors often ask me what I am building, but if I tell them, it ruins it for me as they often want to reserve them before they are complete, and that puts me in a difficult position, because if I agree, it excludes other collectors, and if I do not agree, they feel aggrieved. Plus it makes it feel like a private commission, and I would develop a self-imposed pressure of obligation.

Now, if they ask me what I am building, I say "nothing at the moment!" (That being true, as I am talking to them at the "moment!&quot

I know I am a bit (or a lot) eccentric, but can't help it. I never achieved much in my chosen profession, and quit the "rat-race" after 31 years at sea, and at the age of 78. But in the end, I took more out of the sea than it took out of me – I was 48-years-old when I left, thirty years ago – Since then, self-employed writer (merchant navy subject only) and model shipbuilder on a fraction of my old salary, but no-one to tell me what to do, or send me off at a moment's notice to far off places in flying machines! We don't even have passports now, and never intend to leave the shores, or ground, of the UK again! smiley

Bob.

Colin Bishop
                          @colinbishop34627

Re Tramp steamers generally, I have an original watercolour dated 1930 painted by William Birchall, a quite well known marine artist of the period entitled 'A North Sea Tramp', photo below. My Grandfather must have bought it at the time.

The other photo is an 'officual' print of the Ellerman cargo liner City of Perth of 1949 which came to me from my late uncle who worked in the shipping industry in London where it was displayed on one of the office walls.

Colin

n sea tramp.jpg

c of perth.jpg

Bob Wilson
                          Participant
                            @bobwilson59101

Both very fine paintings, and the tramp was typical of the class – not inferior ships, by any means, but running wherever the trade took them. A common destination was LEFO that stood for "Land's End For Orders!" Invariably a destination port would be supplied before they reached Land's End. I was on a tramp that was approaching our destination in Australia, and it was changed even as we were picking up the pilot, and we were sent elsewhere with our cargo of sulphur, potash and salt –

The second picture was, as you say, a cargo liner, running to a fixed schedule, usually with 12 passengers. I remember Ellerman Lines well, and we were always meeting them I preferred a fixed route myself, but was on a couple of tramps.

All very interesting when one was young, but in later years, a lot of us settled down to the liner trades where the schedule was very tight. But now, it is all gone, apart from tankers, ferries and cruise vessels, and most of the crews are non-British on very low pay –

Bob

The biscuits you nibble, and the joints that you carve,

They are brought to you daily, by all us big steamers,

And if anything hinders our coming, you'll starve.

Kipling

Bob

Bob Wilson
                            Participant
                              @bobwilson59101

Sunday, 5th June, 2022

Baron Vernon

I did a fair amount today, Fitted some rails round the poop. Fitted three more winches. Made and fitted the wheelhouse. Made and fitted three coal hatches. Fitted four cowl ventilators, and engine-room skylight, two smaller skylights and water tank to top of engine casing aft of the funnel.

dscf6078 (large).jpg

dscf6079 (large).jpg

Edited By Bob Wilson on 05/06/2022 18:37:15

Bob Wilson
                              Participant
                                @bobwilson59101

Monday, 6th June, 2022

There is not much to say about the Baron Vernon today, as it has moved both forwards and backwards. I fitted some more ladders and their side rails. Made and fitted the rails around the bridge section. Completed the rails around the poop and then caught my hand on them and squashed the part where they went around the stern. In pulling them off, I also managed to damage those round the front of the poop, so they had to go as well. I also damaged the paintwork on one of the tall cowl ventilators, so had to pull it out, scrape the paint off, and re-spray it before putting it back.

Apart from that, I am very pleased with the way the model is going, and have practically decided not to offer it for sale immediately when complete, but hang on to it for a while, as I am undecided about whether or not to continue with any more major builds.

Bob Wilson
                                Participant
                                  @bobwilson59101

I didn't do anything on it today – feeling pretty much "burned-out." Went shopping instead Lovely sunny day, mind in neutral. No doubt back to it tomorrow –

Bob Wilson
                                  Participant
                                    @bobwilson59101

Wednesday,8th June, 2022

Baron Vernon.

Today, I made and fitted the two lifeboats. Work remaining: poop rails, mooring bits, navigation lights, ladder sides, two winches, awning spars on bridge, ensign staff, ice box on captain's deck, lockers, Gig and davits, masts and rigging. And, of course, the completion of the base and display case.

I will be really glad when this is complete, and I can disappear into obscurity!

Had another request for info the other day, and stopped everything to give a comprehensive reply, followed by the usual stony silence.

I was heartened earlier today, by receiving a short thank you e-mail from a USA group member, for information supplied – and that is all I need – It is good to know that my message got through and was appreciated.

I now find that I cannot upload the latest images of the Baron Vernon with the boats fitted to this forum, getting Error 500 (Internal server error)!

Edited By Bob Wilson on 08/06/2022 18:58:33

Bob Wilson
                                    Participant
                                      @bobwilson59101

I have just tried again, and this is what I got:

500 – Internal server error.

There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

Colin Bishop
                                        @colinbishop34627

Same problem is occurring on the Model Engineer website. It is being looked into but may not be fixed until tomorrow.

Colin

Bob Wilson
                                        Participant
                                          @bobwilson59101

It is fixed now –

dscf6103 (large).jpg

Colin Bishop
                                            @colinbishop34627

Really coming alive now Bob, the lifeboats in particular look very effective in that photo.

Colin

Bob Wilson
                                            Participant
                                              @bobwilson59101

Thanks Colin,

I have not done anything on it today, as I have been struggling all day long to try and get an EORI number (Economic Operators Registration Identification) that is required for selling printed books outside the UK. Failed miserably, cannot understand the website, phoning them brings a robotic voice saying they can't help, and referring me back to their website!

Fortunately, all my printed books are sold out at the moment, but if I can't get the elusive number from HMRC, that looks like the end of my printed books – not worth producing any more if I loose overseas sales –

What an awful century this is! face 24

Bob

Ray Wood 3
                                              Participant
                                                @raywood3

Hi Bob,

Don't worry you have a legacy in print already, this being one of my favourites

Regards Raybw tug 1.jpg

Bob Wilson
                                                Participant
                                                  @bobwilson59101

Hi Ray,

Tiny Thames River tug – I remember building it – SA Everard

Bob

sa everard (large).jpg

Bob Wilson
                                                  Participant
                                                    @bobwilson59101

Friday, 10th June, 2022

Baron Vernon

I again pressed my nose to the grindstone,and made some progress with very small items taht have not made it look a great deal different. These include completing the mooring bits. Bridge awning spars, navigation lights, ice box, and a few small lockers.

This illustration show the early stages of making the last two winches. The central shaft is 1mm fine brass rod. The end inserts were turned from brass rod, leaving a fine spigot that will be glued into the ends of the two tubes as the central part of the winches.

It is not difficult to turn the ends, as the lathe tool is held firmly in a vice that is controlled by two small hand-wheels, one to move it in and out, and the other horizontally. It is the parting off that is the problem. I do this by holding a fine-bladed jeweller's saw against it. Easy enough, but the piece often tends to fly off and disappear into a parallel universe, never to be seen again. I must have made about eight of them before I was able to catch four of them for the winches. Maybe I will find the others later – maybe not!

winch components labelled imgp9150 - copy copy (large).jpg

Bob Wilson
                                                    Participant
                                                      @bobwilson59101

Friday, 10th June, 2022

Baron Vernon

This morning, I made the remaining guardrails. They were made from 38 swg tinned copper wire, soldered, and then spray painted white.

I am now finding this build very tedious, and will be glad when it is finished, but not long to go now!

rails imgp9151 - copy (large).jpg

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 112 total)