Steam Drifter GY88 White Night, much modified Slipway Models Kit

Advert

Steam Drifter GY88 White Night, much modified Slipway Models Kit

Home Forums Gallery Steam Drifter GY88 White Night, much modified Slipway Models Kit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mike Gott
    Participant
      @mikegott20826

I've just finished a Slipway Models 1:72 scale drifter kit which I have modified and added extra detail to represent the former Grimsby registered "White Night" (it refers to the 24-hour winter sun) which I knew as a child in the early 60's when it's hull was beached as the clubhouse for the local yacht club.

p1030184.jpg

The hull has been slightly changed to represent the wooden hull of the original and a proper wooden deck has been added. Most of the mods have been to the bridge/engine room casing/deckhouse area.The bridge is a complete change to the kit, the casing has been lowered 10mm with the funnel and ventilators re-positioned and the deck house/galley has been raised and re-profiled to compensate.

p1030193.jpg

A scratch built steam capstan and anchor winch has been added, the latter utilising the cylinders and rods from a scap N gauge loco chassis. An addtional small hatch cover – the one used at sea to send the fish down to the hold – and a skylight to the crew's quarters at the stern have also been added to the deck detail.

p1030192.jpg

Crew are from Langley Models, White Night has a pet dog on board.

p1030196.jpg

Digital R/C with 4 sub-c cells at 4.8v has been shoehorned into the hull and she sails very well, despite looking a little lost in my local model boat lake, being a mere 380mm long!

The real White Night was built in 1920 to Admiralty order (from WW1) by Clapson's of Barton on Humber and was sold to Grimsby owners upon completion. She never actually worked as a drifter! From the outset she was equipped with a steam drum winch and fished with a seine net. When I find a good drawing of a correct type of winch to enable me to make one, I will similarly equip the model. I have already built on the mounting for the extra beam on the deck house which will also need to be fitted for seine netting.

Hope you like her!

Mike Gott

Horwich.

Edited By Mike Gott on 23/03/2015 14:25:00

Edited By Mike Gott on 23/03/2015 14:35:09

Advert
      Mike Gott
      Participant
        @mikegott20826
        Tex Crampin
        Participant
          @texcrampin50481

Hello Mike

Very nice model. My grandfather HG Crampin had a fleet of trawlers in Grimsby and I'm trying to identify one of his very early ships Swan ll. It would be nice to have a model adorned in the Crampin colours. Have you heard of this vessel?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)