show case adhesives

Advert

show case adhesives

Home Forums Static modelling show case adhesives

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    neil hp
    Participant
      @neilhp

could anyone please tell me what is the best way of gluing acrylic (perspex) together without fogging the clear acrylic when building a showcase without wooden casing. I have heard that a plumbers adhesive is available but wouldn’t have a clew as to what to ask for. cheers.

Advert
      Manxman
      Participant
        @manxman

Hi Neil,

I can not imagine what a plumber would require a clear adhesive for ?

When I used to keep tropical fish, the aquariums were made used clear silicone to fix the glass panels together, though transparent, you could still see it.

I’m not a static builder so take my advise on a trial and error basis.

You don’t mention how big the case is going to be, if its small/medium you could try a canopy glue called FORMULA 560 this is used by all modellers  to fix canopies and windows.  It is white in colour, but dries crystal clear.  available at all model shops.  If you wait a little while longer someone will come up with the correct method.

Cheers – Kenny

(nothing to do with the thread, before posting, ran the spell checker over this reply – and no errors ! – a first for me!)

neil hp
        Participant
          @neilhp

cheers, Kenny. the cases are usually 4 – 5′ in length. the only reason I mentioned a plumber was because of the plastic pipes that they glue together with joints.it was just a thought. woild the formula 560 do such a large case.cheers,neil.

Manxman
          Participant
            @manxman

Hi Neil,

I’m of the same opinion regards to the size and the 560 – plumbers glue, have a look around your local DIY store for a small tin and try a test edge for strength and clarity – should be strong enough considering the pressure in cold water pipes.  Most plumbers would now use push-on or plastic compression joints.

Good luck – Ken

neil hp
            Participant
              @neilhp

THANKS kEN,I’ll let you know how it goes.neil.

Len Ochiltree
              Participant
                @lenochiltree67043

Hi Neil,

Having been a Plumber (now ex) for 35+years the stuff you are after is Soil/Waste pipe Solvent Cleaner not Solvent adhesive, buy this at a Plumbers Merchants this will stick Styrene/Plasticard and also Ferero Rochere chocolate boxes.

It is less than 1/2 price of Styrene solvent.

Regards,

Len 

neil hp
                Participant
                  @neilhp

thanks Len. great help.neil.

Paul T
                  Participant
                    @pault84577

Well Len you continue to impress. Not only do you do your best looking after the less able but you used to be a plumber. very select club of which I am still a member (although I haven’t soldered 3/4 in copper for over 20 years) we always remember our trade.

I thought that the solvent cleaner was a trade secret.

Cheers

Paul

Kevin Bellman
                    Participant
                      @kevinbellman86047

Hi Neil

I think I’d be tempted to go with the clear silicone if the solvent cleaner does not work.

If I might suggest using masking tape to define the areas to be glued – gently abrade the area between the tape. Remove the tape before silicone sets – nice clean line.

Have fun

Cheers Kevin

neil hp
                      Participant
                        @neilhp

thanks to you all. Building the models isn’t a problem, but keeping them clean and tidy is a new venture for me.I thought it would be easier than in the old days when I rebated timbers, and added beeding. such heavy jobs when finished.I hope to start on a show case in a few weeks so will have a bash and take all your advice on board with a few practice bits first. many thanks to you all, neil.

Len Ochiltree
                        Participant
                          @lenochiltree67043

Hi Paul,

When I started in the 60s it was still lead pipes and wiping joints,threading pipes,parafin blowlamps. I was given a Petrol blowlamp,I fired it up once but to scared to do it again!.

When I look at all my old tools,they should be in a Museum!.

It’s all push fit nowadays.

Heho,

Len

Paul T
                          Participant
                            @pault84577

Hi Len

Me to, I spent many hours learning how to wipe joints and threading 4in pipe by hand. my worst experience was wiping a joint on central heating circs behind a cylinder, so I was on my head and working upside down in a 6in wide space.

Happy days

NEVER AGAIN

Paul

neil hp
                            Participant
                              @neilhp
                            Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)