Ship Comparisons

Advert

Ship Comparisons

Home Forums Full Size Ships Ship Comparisons

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Colin Bishop
      @colinbishop34627

Something to appeal to Bob who will no doubt recognise most of the vessels.

During house redecs I had to take down stuff hanging on the wall. When putting it back I took the opportunity to photograph some of my 1:1250 scale collection of metal models before the glass front went back on the case.

Displaying models like this demonstrates the classic elegance of 20th Centrury designs and enables you to compare sizes at a glance. Today's cruise ships may be more comfortable in some respects but just can't compete when it comes to appearance.

The small ship with the black funnel on the third shelf up is the ms Devonia which was converted into a school ship from the troopship Devonshire in the 1960s and which carried me around the Meditterranean on a two week cruise at Easter 1964 aged 15. (cost £49!) Her gross tonnage was 12,795 compared with the biggest ship on display, RMS Queen Elizabeth of over 83,000 GRT.

The second row up sees Titanic alongside her contemporaries, Cunards's Aquittania and the German Imperator. Not for nothing was Aquitania known as 'The Ship Beautiful' whilst the rather overblown Imperator proved to be very unstable at first and needed ballast added and topweight removed.

Colin

liner models.jpg

Advert
      Colin Bishop
        @colinbishop34627

1:1250 Scale

gecon
        Participant
          @gecon

Great collection Colin. Is top right the Canberra? My parents sailed from Hong Kong to UK via Australia ca. 1972 on the Canberra. Seen many great ships in Hong Kong harbour during my youth. Used to take the Star Ferry twice a day across the harbour to and from school. Fond memories.

Oh dear, started babbling again – at least it's not on my build blog!

George

Colin Bishop
            @colinbishop34627

Yes, that's the Canberra Geoff. I saw her several times at Southampton and off Cowes.

Virtually all the ships shown had their little quirks. Canberra had a design fault that caused her to trim by the stern due to the weight of the aft power plant. This had to be compensated for by permanent ballast in the bow which put a bit of stress on the hull with the heavy weights at the ends. Fortunately the robust construction was enough to cope with this and when the ship was finally broken up it took much longer than expected due to the heavy construction.

Colin

Richard Simpson
            Participant
              @richardsimpson88330

Tell you what Colin, lets have a go at a few of them before you let us know the full list of attendees.

Top Row Middle, is that the Green Goddess, Coronia?

Second Row down, SS France on one side and the QE2 but I'm not sure about the middle

Third Row down, United States then possibly Sagafjord or Vistafjord followed by Queen Elizabeth

Fourth Row down, Queen Mary then the Britannia followed by maybe the Berengaria.

Fifth Row down, maybe the later Britannic and, before you told us otherwise I would have said the Uganda.

The rest you have either told us or I don't know.

Anyone else fill in any more gaps?

Colin Bishop
                @colinbishop34627

Richard, Caronia not Coronia.

Second row middle – a ground breaking ship of the 1930s

Third row down middle definitely not Sagafjord!

Fourth row down – Nul Points I'm afraid!

Fifth row down, nope, not Britannic!

I bet Bob gets the lot though!

There is actually a bit of a theme to this display with some exceptions. I have another display case with a more varied selection!

Colin

Richard Simpson
                Participant
                  @richardsimpson88330

Didn't do too well there then!

sad

Colin Bishop
                    @colinbishop34627

Maybe you are too young! laugh

gecon
                    Participant
                      @gecon

Hi Colin,

Is the ship on the bottom row 2nd from left the P&O 'Chitral' ?

I forgive you for calling me 'Geoff' last time, but you were close!laugh

GeoRGE

Colin Bishop
                        @colinbishop34627

Sorry George but no! The one it is next to might give a clue….

Colin

gecon
                        Participant
                          @gecon

Does not give me a clue unfortunately.

Is top left Oriana?

Are you going to publish the 'answers' sometime -so we can all learn even more?

George

Colin Bishop
                            @colinbishop34627

The two middle ships are contemporaries from different companies.

Yes, top left is indeed Oriana.

I'll let it run a bit longer!

Colin

Bob Wilson
                            Participant
                              @bobwilson59101

I see my old ship, Transvaal Castle there in the centre, and recognise a lot of the others as well.

Bob

Colin Bishop
                                @colinbishop34627

Bob, as per my PM it is the Windsor Castle which was very similar in design to the Transvaal Castle and the difference is not very obvious in the photo. Both good looking ships and I remember seeing them sailing from Southampton on Thursdays at 4pm. I believe Transvaal Castle was a one class ship while Windsor Castle carried first class passengers and tourist.

Colin

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)