SAS Willy’s Jeep

Advert

SAS Willy’s Jeep

Home Forums Gallery SAS Willy’s Jeep

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Richard Simpson
    Participant
      @richardsimpson88330
      Advert
      Richard Simpson
      Participant
        @richardsimpson88330

I doubt very much that many of us limit our modelling time to just model boats. Model Railways seem to be a popular alternative, as we can see from Ray's layout in the background of his workshop, and for me it can be anything that takes my fancy. I also wanted to support my local club who are diversifying by introducing a Military Vehicles section so my mind wandered over to what a contribution could be.

Consequently over the last couple of months, and since the African Queen was completed, I have put my efforts into building the model below. The base is an ROC Hobby 1/6th RTR Willys Jeep in European Olive. I also bought a Dragon 1/6th scale SAS Willy's Jeep and pinched all the SAS accessories off it such as the guns, jerry cans, condenser etc. I sold on the remaining bare jeep to offset the costs. I added the Dragon parts, did a complete paint job, bought a 1/6th scale Paddy Maine figure and made up the driver figure from an Ed Harris head, cheap body and assorted bits and pieces. The head turns with the steering wheel by the micro servo embedded in the chest. Shocks were overhauled and better oil added, and 3D printed Vickers K ammo drums and sand rails were sourced. Some bits and pieces were scratch built and bags from various sources were found. Everything was gently weathered, mainly with washes and pigments and the seats were reupholstered with an old cut up pillow case.

Back to a model boat again I guess!

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

007.jpg005.jpg

Edited By Richard Simpson on 28/09/2023 09:29:11

Ray Wood 3
        Participant
          @raywood3

Hi Richard,

You have put together a piece of history there, well done The white enamel mug with the blue rim on the pannier bag just set's it all off for me , I remember my grandparents using them, I used to play in their Anderson Shelter in the garden as a boy !! I having been born 10 years after the end of the war in 1955

Variety of interests is the key to life I find, always fancied building battle tank's another thing on my list to do !!

Regards Ray

Colin Bishop
            @colinbishop34627

Richard,

I find the marine scene gives me all the variety I need but I always enjoy looking at other branches of modelling and you have done a superb job there.

My Dad wasn't a member of the SAS but he served in the Western Desert and was present at the siege of Tobruk and El Alamein so I have more than a passing interest. He served in the Royal Signals and was attached to a Guards Unit which broke out at the end of the siege to rejoin the 8th Army. His wireless truck ran over a mine at some point and he carried shrapnel scars to his legs for the rest of his life.

His war continued in Italy fighting the German retreat. Like so many, he preferred not to talk about it.

Colin

ashley needham
            Participant
              @ashleyneedham69188

Really great Richard. With a finer "sand" beach that would be a truly fantastic photo! Ashley

Richard Simpson
              Participant
                @richardsimpson88330

Maybe I need to raid a local golf course!

I agree though, I need some pictures on some sand!

Chris Fellows
                Participant
                  @chrisfellows72943

Superb Richard. The weathering etc. and the nice little touches really make it look realistic.

Chris

John W E
                  Participant
                    @johnwe

hi there Richard

A superbly built model. I particularly like the mugs – nice touch. Agree, you need to put it on a fine sand base.

John

neil hp
                    Participant
                      @neilhp

i cannot say much other than I love it, and a master class and masterpiece of modelling a piece of history………….superb work.

ashley needham
                      Participant
                        @ashleyneedham69188

…for a really good snap I would try for sand, but include a bit of background, it will be blurred as you focus on the jeep, and it will give it more context.

Its why I like to take shots of my boats close, low down and on wide angle, it makes them look more like real boats on a river, and makes them look bigger!

Ashley

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)