Rhine Patrol – US Navy TMSY

Advert

Rhine Patrol – US Navy TMSY

Home Forums Gallery Rhine Patrol – US Navy TMSY

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ray Wood 3
    Participant
      @raywood3
      Advert
      Ray Wood 3
      Participant
        @raywood3

rhine patrol 4.jpgrhine patrol 3.jpgrhine patrol 2.jpgHi All

Spotted this Patrol Boat in Ramsgate Harbour yesterday she has been restored to her former glory when the US Navy used her to patrol the River Rhine 1952 would make a smashing model twin screws & 78'11" long

Regards Rayrhine patrol 1.jpg

Banjoman
        Participant
          @banjoman

Ray,

Although warships are not my main interest, as it were, I have to agree that this one makes for an interesting and (I guess) rather unusual subject! Thanks for posting the photos!

Mattias

Ian Gardner
          Participant
            @iangardner62867

Very interesting old motor yacht in the background of the second photo- any information?

Ian

Ray Wood 3
            Participant
              @raywood3

Hi Ian

The cruiser in the back ground is a Dunkirk "Little Ship" and has been at Ramsgate preserved as a historical vessel, you need to be a fan of many portholes I may have some more photos from a previous visit and I have a book with all the little ships listed, so I can let you know her name when I find the book .

Regards Ray

Ray Wood 3
              Participant
                @raywood3

Hi Ian

By the power of google and "Dunkirk Little Ships" her name is Sundowner and very pretty she is.

Regards Ray

Ian Gardner
                Participant
                  @iangardner62867

Hello Ray,

Thanks for that- I'll have some fun looking her up. She's probably on the ADLS site. As you may surmise from my interest in the Silver Mist design, she's right up my street.

And I am a fan of many portholes!

**LINK**

All the best,

Ian

Ray Wood 3
                  Participant
                    @raywood3

Hi Ian

Yes being brought up in the "Vic Smeed era" in both Maker & Model Boats designs he was the governor in my opinion and a Fighter Pilot to so a great influence on my other love of Aeromodelling. Veleta looks great, where do you get your raised lettering on the stern ? I've been struggling for lettering lately but have found a stash of Letraset up my loft for the last 25 years happy days

Regards Ray

Ian Gardner
                    Participant
                      @iangardner62867

Hi Ray,

Yes I like Veleta and have always been a sucker for Vic Smeed's designs. I've just installed some resin pulleys and timing belt in Veleta from SHG, but I haven't tried her out yet.

The raised lettering is Slater's plastic lettering sold for model railways- I've used it on all my boats for a while and it looks quite good painted gold or silver on a mahogany board – saves lining up Letraset or vinyl lettering on the hull. It comes in various sizes.

I chucked a load of Letraset away recently as I found it had 'gone off'- but that was probably over twenty five years old too!

I looked up Sundower on the ADLS website- she was originally a naval pinnace from 1912 and had a very exciting and interesting career. Her owner insisted on taking her to Dunkirk and rescued a large number of men. I just love those classic motor and steam yachts.

Thanks for the information about Sundowner- there are quite a few photos on the internet.

All the best,

Ian

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)