removing acrylic paint

Advert

removing acrylic paint

Home Forums Static modelling removing acrylic paint

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    captainslog
    Participant
      @captainslog

hi its been a long time no see.i was given this model when my uncle passed away,and its a little bit sad. the hull has been planked and lower masts fitted and i have the rest of the kit and plans.however the hull planking has been painted with what looks like walnut coloured acrylic paint.i wish to remove this back to the bare planks.i suppose i could use cellulose thinners but dont know if i will damage the wood.has any one got any helpfull tips please? thanks

Advert
      captainslog
      Participant
        @captainslog

victory models HMS fly

John W E
        Participant
          @johnwe

hi there

My son uses Methylated spirit which you can buy off the shelf – to remove acrylic paint from his model figures. Maybe the best one. You could brush it on and leave it on the surface.

Isopropanol alcohol (from Ebay) works good as well.

Sometimes you would need to soak the article for longer – up to an hour – to allow the chemicals to work. What may help you though – paint it on – and seal the model in a plastic bag to prevent the meths/isopropanol from evaporating.

Hope that helps you.

John

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)