props

Advert

props

Home Forums Beginners props

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    delph
    Participant
      @delph

if your having trouble getting any power in reverse and have a plastic prop change to the same size in brass. I know they are a bit dearer but found the plastic ones are made very much with forward in mind.

Chris

Advert
      Colin Bishop
        @colinbishop34627

Yes, that is quite right for scale props Chris. Brass is usually the way to go. For faster boats, the plastic black speed two blade props are very effective though. But on those models you tend to want to concentrate on forward speed!

As Ashley Needham has often said, the black speed type props provide a cheap way of testing performance with different sizes.

Colin

Richard Simpson
        Participant
          @richardsimpson88330

My experience with plastic props supplied with kits is that they frequently seem to be of very poor design.  If you study them closely you will frequently see thay have almost zero pitch at the blade tip.  I have experienced this with two different kit manufacturers.  My last one went forwards very slowly but simply would not go astern at all.  Exactly the same as another one I built a few years ago!

It isn’t the material that is the problem, it is the design, all driven by getting the cost as low as possible.  Stick a Prop Shop prop on and the performance will be transformed!

delph
          Participant
            @delph

is prop shop still a going concern? I emailed them a while ago and didn’t get a reply.

Colin Bishop
              @colinbishop34627

Prop Shop are still going but notoriously bad at responding to emails. I’n told that a phone call usually gets results.

No, I don’t know why either!

Colin

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)