Miss Morris

Advert

Miss Morris

Home Forums Static modelling Miss Morris

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Bob Wilson
    Participant
      @bobwilson59101

Welsh topsail schooner Miss Morris, progress at 5th January, 2020 –

Fitted the lower shrouds and tiny deadeyes yesterday –

miss morris 5th dec 2020.jpg

Edited By Bob Wilson on 05/01/2020 17:24:07

Advert
      Bob Wilson
      Participant
        @bobwilson59101
        redpmg
        Participant
          @redpmg

Brilliant as usual Bob . Nice to see – don't know how you have the patience & dexterity

Bob Wilson
          Participant
            @bobwilson59101

Thanks – I will admit to the dexterity – but I sure don't have much patience, and these models don't take all that long to build, as there are no knots to deal with – rigging all just glued on – Bob smiley

Bob Wilson
            Participant
              @bobwilson59101

The foresail is now set and rigged and I have fitted all the mast hoops on the main and mizzen masts. Also completed and fitted the shrouds, ratlines and deadeyes on the mainmast. Statistics as of today, 8th January, 2020. I began the model on the 20th October last. So far, I have worked on it for a total of 20 days during that time, with a grand total of just over 27 hours. An average of about 1.35 hours per day worked, but I had numerous days when I didn't do anything at all to it over the whole period.

Bob Wilson
              Participant
                @bobwilson59101

I have now completed the mainmast with the mainsail and gaff tospail set and rigged with both standing and running rigging.

Bob Wilson
                Participant
                  @bobwilson59101

More progress, and now the main and mizzen masts are complete with all their sails and rigging. The next task will be to set and rig the jibs and staysails on the foremast, and finally, the three square topsails on the foremast. The model itself is now almost complete, but I have done very little on the display case and sea on account of the freezing cold weather that requires some work to be done outside.

Bob Wilson
                  Participant
                    @bobwilson59101

Virtually no interest in this one from fellow model shipbuilders, but quite a lot from collectors – All ready for the three square topsails now. There are 24 sets of tiny deades on it, each less than 1mm diameter with the lanyards visible. Don't know if you can see them on this image.

Bob

65 (large).jpg

Bob Wilson
                    Participant
                      @bobwilson59101

Miss Morris –

miss morris in sea.jpg

Bob Wilson
                      Participant
                        @bobwilson59101

Here is a short Utube video of it being put in the sea – **LINK**

Bob Wilson
                        Participant
                          @bobwilson59101

And finally, in the display case.

miss morris in case 1 (large).jpg

Banjoman
                          Participant
                            @banjoman

That, Bob, is just plain lovely! A fantastic model of a beautiful ship!

Mattias

Bob Wilson
                            Participant
                              @bobwilson59101

Thanks – I quite like it, but it doesn't seem to have generated much interest here! laugh

Bob

Bob Abell 2
                              Participant
                                @bobabell2

Don`t despair, Bob

It`s Horses for Courses

I admire your all your models and skilful patience

Bob

Bob Wilson
                                Participant
                                  @bobwilson59101

Bob – I am far from despair – laugh Elsewhere, the build was viewed over 3,000 times, and as long as collectors want them, I am quite happy with the situation –

Bob

redpmg
                                  Participant
                                    @redpmg

Bob – you are being modest – its a great model of a beautiful ship as someone has already said. We "respondents" ? admire your skill with miniatures. Not everybody realises just how much skill is involved in making one – that is until they try for themselves…………and the collectors admire them which is great for you – wish I could afford one myself .Saw one of your early models of a coaster years ago – found that fascinating………

Incidentally what do you use for the nameplates?

Bob Wilson
                                    Participant
                                      @bobwilson59101

Thanks,

I believe just about everyone can build them if they try, as most of the special techniques greatly simplify matters in small models. The nameplates are yet another "illusion" I print them onto clear self-adhesive film using the computer with Monotype Corsiva font inside a text box. I then stick them onto gold card and cut them out with a scalpel. Everyone seems to think they are brass!laugh As the rigging is all fine wire stuck on in short lengths, there are no fiddly knots to mess about with, and very little patience is needed. Sailing ships are very easy to build, it is steamships that are far more complicated.

I built Miss Morris whilst recovering from major eye surgery done 3rd Septmber last, so I chose a simple one. Anyway, have just got back from hospital check up on it today, and all is well, so all that is behind me now, and a great weight off my mind!face 1 Note the tiny deadeyes on Miss Morris, less than 1mm across, all hand made with the lanyards visible. I have never been afflicted with the "I could never do that" syndrome!, when it came to ship models. smiley

Probably build a steamer next, and that will be even more unpopular amongst model shipbuilders – kits of warships have dominated the scene for years, and even they seem to be getting superseded by 3D printed models!surprise

Bob

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)