Midwest fantail steam launch

Advert

Midwest fantail steam launch

Home Forums Steam powered models Midwest fantail steam launch

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Cardona 1
    Participant
      @danielcardona1
      Advert
      Daniel Cardona 1
      Participant
        @danielcardona1

Hello to all

I would like to ask if anyone has a set of plans and possibly templates for the midwest fantail steam launch. I don't think they are making them anymore and i really like how they are build using ply and balsa, and they also has a good size for a small steam engine.

i would like to know also if there are any plans similar to midwest launch and possible with the same easy construction method.

i thank you in advance

kind regards

daniel

Tony Hadley
        Participant
          @tonyhadley

Daniel,

Just had a look at the Midwest Fantail and it was 19" long. Vic Smeed's River Princess is a 24" long open steam launch. The plan gives construction details for a clinker built hull using thin plywood (or other). The plan was presented as a free plan in the April 1989 edition of Model Boats magazine and never made commercially available. The model is a smaller, modified version of the 35" River Queen which is available from Sarik.

If this design would be of interest, message your email and I will send the magazine article and plans. Admittedly there is more work involved than the Fantail, but a lovely little model could be achieved.

Tony

Daniel Cardona 1
          Participant
            @danielcardona1

Hi tony, private msg send

Posted by Tony Hadley on 30/05/2020 08:06:20:

Daniel,

Just had a look at the Midwest Fantail and it was 19" long. Vic Smeed's River Princess is a 24" long open steam launch. The plan gives construction details for a clinker built hull using thin plywood (or other). The plan was presented as a free plan in the April 1989 edition of Model Boats magazine and never made commercially available. The model is a smaller, modified version of the 35" River Queen which is available from Sarik.

If this design would be of interest, message your email and I will send the magazine article and plans. Admittedly there is more work involved than the Fantail, but a lovely little model could be achieved.

Tony

Daniel Cardona 1
            Participant
              @danielcardona1

Thank you tony for the suggested vic smeed steam launch. Whilst i have no doubt that its a very nice looking boat , i think its a little to much complicated to build than the midwest fantail. The type of planking that is used on the vic smeed river princess doesn’t look …well user friendly or novice friendly laugh, and apart from that i think it requires a lot of ply or hardwood planking , whilst the midwest uses balsa which is more easy to get hands on for me.

Thank you again

kind regards

daniel

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)