Finding plans

Advert

Finding plans

Home Forums Beginners Finding plans

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Neil Aldred
    Participant
      @neilaldred46964

Hi. I'm new to all this. Recently built a model yacht and keen to knock up another. Any pointers on where to get hull plans? Are they called sections?

Specifically I would like to build a mason 53 sailing yacht

Advert
      Neil Aldred
      Participant
        @neilaldred46964
        David Marks 2
        Participant
          @davidmarks2

Neil

I am not into yachts but have a look at the Sarik Hobbies website. Many of the plans have featured previously in MB magazine as a free plan, plus build description or as a feature plan where the magazine contains the build description and you purchase the plan from typically Sarik Hobbies.

You will most probably receive a response from Ray Wood who is into model boats of all types including sailing craft.

Ray Wood 3
          Participant
            @raywood3

Hi Neil,

As David says SARIK hobbies will have plans for a ketch similar to the Mason 53, but I don't recall that exact boat having model plans ? I imagine it is an American design ?

What was your first model yacht build ??

Regards Ray

Neil Aldred
            Participant
              @neilaldred46964

Hey Ray, thanks for the speedy reply. I will take a look

The first and only boat I have built is a John Alden Malabar XIII. I was lucky enough to sail it last year and the owner has all the original drawings on board so I was able to get a copy of the hull sections and create a 3d model for the hull which I printed.

I was originally only doing it because I was interested in doing the rigging, but got a bit carried away. Its not quite finished and there are a lot of things I would do differently next time, but it was really fun building it

Another friend has a Mason 53, so keen to do that one, but would like to get the hull as close to the real shape as possible. I guess if I can get close then I can stretch and smuch the 3d model before I print it

what kind of models do you build yourself?

John Alden Malabasr XIII - Desiderata

Ray Wood 3
              Participant
                @raywood3

Hi Neil,

If you have a look on the left of this post you will see the number of photos I have posted of my builds so far click on that and it will take you to my album "Rays Boats", I'll have a go at most types of craft, but I don't do lifeboats ! I leave that to another Neil on this forum

Good luck with your search for lines for the 53.

Regards Ray

Neil Aldred
                Participant
                  @neilaldred46964

I was just looking through those, great models. I would love to have a crack at building a wooden hull at some point in the future, I'm finding this whole world of boats fascinating. just spent a weekend on a yacht with a racing guy running me through the nuances of how sails work, and how ti tweak them to get the very best in racing, absolutely incredible.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)