Fairey 23 River Cruiser

Advert

Fairey 23 River Cruiser

Home Forums Build Blogs Fairey 23 River Cruiser

• This topic has 115 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 5 months ago by Chris Fellows.
Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 116 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Garrad
    Participant
      @stephengarrad28964

I've always used Toplac on our narrowboat. It used to be recommended to add some Toplac, the top coat, to the undercoat to help the flow and you are halfway there on the colour as there aren't many undercoat colours.

Stephen

Advert
      Chris Fellows
      Participant
        @chrisfellows72943

Hi Stephen – that mixing of undercoat and top coat rings a vague bell but I can't remember where I read about it, thanks for the reminder.

The One UP primer undercoat I'm using is only available in blue and white which is handy as it matches the classic Fairey colour scheme.

Chris

Chris Fellows
        Participant
          @chrisfellows72943

I stopped painting the three hulls, including this one, coming up to Christmas! Since then I lost my mojo and haven't done much of anything really. Well, only thing of note was replacing the PC as the old one was grinding to a halt and so quite some time was spent in setting the new one up, reinstalling software and transferring stuff over. The opportunity was also taken to do some housekeeping on my many photographs and check that all my backups were in synch.

Anyway. I'd applied another coat to the bottom of this hull when I left off and wasn't completely happy as I'd got a couple of prominent brushstrokes etc. But I've got sufficient coats on so I'm going to leave it there or I'll never progress! If I sand it down and apply another coat I'll probably have another defect! I can't even remember how many coats I put on the Huntress, but that looks pretty good so I'm leaving that one there now as well. This means I can progress with the superstructures and RC installations etc.

Some may remember the thread we had where we discussed the cushioning material for our boat stands? After that I bought a roll of self-adhesive grey felt off Ebay. It was more economical to buy a wider roll, so I bought 40mm which is easy to cut down to the width required. So today I made a start on replacing the foam on my 6 stands. 3 done and on with the rest after this.

Chris

stand applying felt.jpg

painting 3.jpg

Edited By Chris Fellows on 10/03/2023 15:24:03

Chris Fellows
          Participant
            @chrisfellows72943

Good job I've replaced the foam which was only put on a couple of years ago or thereabouts – probably longer!

The Swordsman is heavy already and had stuck to the foam which has left black marks/deposits on the strakes. Not painted at the moment with the hull being finished with Eze-Kote with Styrene strakes. As I pulled the foam off the stands it was already starting to break-up. The Huntsman 31 was also affected but to a lesser extent.

When I come paint them I'm going to have to modify the stands to spread the load and maybe have cut-outs for the strakes.

Chris

Craig88
            Participant
              @craig88

Hi Chris

It’s a beautiful looking build, very neat and tidy and obvious to see a lot of care and attention to detail has gone into it. Also quite and interesting read too seeing the various techniques you’ve used.

However I have to say building more than one boat at once, you sir are a mad man! However I hold a great deal of respect for you, because I know that if I tried to do that I’d get completely and utterly lost amongst it all at some point and end up gluing the parts of one model onto another model and making a total hash of it! So credit where it’s due, I look forward to seeing the final results and hopefully more beautifully constructed models of yours.

Regards

Craig

Ray Wood 3
              Participant
                @raywood3

wkshop1feb19.jpgHi Craig,

Chris is a perfectionist in the best way possible, and is a seasonal builder with other interests, Multi build projects on the go at any wkshop2feb19.jpgone time I find is the best way to keep interested I probably have 10 projects currently on the go

3 Boats 4 Aeroplanes 1 model railway 2 steam engines, so in comparison Chris is far from mad

Regards Ray

ashley needham
                Participant
                  @ashleyneedham69188

Generally I only have one boat on the go, but I “do” other stuff so that’s ok. Also, my interest fades if things take too long, like years.

Great workshop Ray, a joy to behold!

Ashley

Chris Fellows
                  Participant
                    @chrisfellows72943

Thanks Craig. Yes, Ray has got me sussed and I must be a bit mad though having 5 Faireys on the go and plans drawn up for 2 others!

Downside due to the number and seasonal building, as Ashley says, is that it has taken me years so far and nothing on the water yet! But this year is the year! Upside is that I will have a Fairey fleet!

Chris

Edited By Chris Fellows on 11/03/2023 11:53:39

Chris Fellows
                    Participant
                      @chrisfellows72943

To add to the above I do intend to build some models non-Fairey related which will be quicker builds, far quicker! Last year I drew up some plans for 3 models based on a modified Stiletto/Rapier hull and as I fancy something with a water jet to follow on from the stern-drive project I'm thinking of modifying the drawings so that one of them can have one fitted.

Anyway, as with the Huntress, I've made and fitted a shelf for the ESC. Positioning was straightforward in this one being the more usual layout. Again, as access is required, the shelf is bolted in place. Next job is a battery tray.

Chris

fitting out 1.jpg

fitting out 2.jpg

fitting out 4.jpg

ashley needham
                      Participant
                        @ashleyneedham69188

Chris, are you still using those horrid wossisname plastic battery couplings???

They will melt under the awesome power of your Fairey motor.

Deans for me, although the XT60 (or whatever) look good, they are pricey, and for changing over on my 40 odd boats, too expensive.

Ashley

Chris Fellows
                        Participant
                          @chrisfellows72943

Hi Ashley. You spotted it then! laugh The 30amp Quicrun ESC come with those already on whilst the higher amp ones are supplied with bare cables. It will be going – I only use XT60 for my builds with an XT90 for the Swordsman. Most of my RTR raceboats are XT60 or Deans.

Funnily enough I have a 2S LiPo which I'm going to use in this model which has the standard size Tamiya connecter currently fitted to it. I can't remember for the life of me what I bought it for!!! Maybe it was for the Club 500 as that is the only boat that has a Tamiya connecter but it doesn't have a LiPo safe ESC.

Chris

Edited By Chris Fellows on 14/04/2023 23:02:16

Richard Simpson
                          Participant
                            @richardsimpson88330

Beautiful neat woodwork Chris.

Chris Fellows
                            Participant
                              @chrisfellows72943

Thanks Richard.

I've got to maintain the standard until these builds are finished!

Chris

Edited By Chris Fellows on 14/04/2023 23:11:26

Chris Fellows
                              Participant
                                @chrisfellows72943

Soldering iron in action this morning for this one as well.

The 2S battery I'm going to use on this had a Tamiya connecter on it which probably would be OK given the small motor and modest performance but I have a few XT60 connecters so changed it.

Can't say the same for the Mini-Tamiya connecter that the ESC came fitted with so Ashley will be pleased to see that has gone in the bin!

Chris

fitting out 5.jpg

fitting out 6.jpg

fitting out 7.jpg

Chris Fellows
                                Participant
                                  @chrisfellows72943

This recent spell of rain has enabled me to progress the painting. The deck and roofs have been primer/undercoated and glossed.

With the deck being done I can finish off the RC installation so that I can try it on the lake.

Also just put a coat of blue primer/undercoat on the cabin/cockpit sides and front and rear windows.

Chris

painting 5.jpg

painting 6.jpg

ashley needham
                                  Participant
                                    @ashleyneedham69188

Nice work Chris. Smooth and glossy. Going to look great on the pond (soon!).

its something I would like to bash on about, paintwork, but don’t. One sees too much bad paintwork which could have been cured by an extra 5 mins sanding, a bit of masking tape or simply more care.

Trouble is, it’s difficult to say anything without getting people’s backs up..but if you don’t say anything…things never get any better. Despite what anyone thinks of my boating subject matter, the finish is always good.

Ashley

Richard Simpson
                                    Participant
                                      @richardsimpson88330
                                      Posted by ashley needham on 02/08/2023 06:24:26:

………the finish is always good.

It's just the starting that's the problem! cheeky

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Chris Fellows
                                      Participant
                                        @chrisfellows72943

Thanks Ashley, it's not perfect but with hand painting you can makes things worse if you try and rectify once the paint has started to dry, even a bit. And applying another coat doesn't always guarantee a defect free finish. So I have to draw the line and accept that is probably as good as I'm going to get.

I do put a good amount of time and effort in, but nowhere as much as some guys do to get fantastic finish, but for the effort I do put in the finish is acceptable, so I'm happy enough with it, especially as I've got a few to finish!

Yes, I've even been to shows and noticed how bad the paintwork is on some models, but most are very good. And yes, I've noticed how good the paint is on your models.

Richard – oh I don't know, the number that Ashley produces. I have problems, starting, progressing and finishing!

Chris

Edited By Chris Fellows on 02/08/2023 11:41:40

Chris Fellows
                                        Participant
                                          @chrisfellows72943

I really can't help myself!

Glad I put the extra coat on the roof of the Huntress as that looks really good now. But when looking at this one again there's a couple of areas of paint build up on the forward roof and the deck has a small area I missed at the bow, some paint build up and some scratches.

So I gave the roof a light sanding and flatted the deck with a fine micro-mesh pad. The deck is flat and you can see every defect. Out with the Tamiya tape for the umpteenth time and then another coat. Hopefully that's it!

Could have left it but it would bug me in the future as I would know I could have done better.

Chris

Edited By Chris Fellows on 02/08/2023 15:34:09

Chris Fellows
                                          Participant
                                            @chrisfellows72943

I'm getting low on thinners and so rather than order online again I had a look for a chandler that stocked International Yacht Paint products. Decided on one at Braunston, near Daventry, which is a pleasant one hour drive away. I've driven past it before and the marina is not far from the junction of the Oxford and Grand Union canals.

Whilst the River Cruiser was a prototype and it looked from the B&W photo as though on the cabin sides etc. they'd probably used the same bright blue as on parts of the Swordsman I'd decided on using the dark blue (Sapphire in my case) that Fairey used extensively, as I'd got a 750ml tin and it's expensive stuff.

The chandler had got some of a bright blue that looked about right and after some hesitation, £36 for 750ml inc. the government's cut, I thought what the heck! I can use some on the Swordsman and other builds. Bought a couple of foam "brushes" as well which I will cut down to apply the varnish nice and lightly on my other builds.

Had a look around the marina, mostly narrowboats of course, and the work sheds and had a very nice mug of milky coffee and a sausage and bacon sandwich on crusty bread with potato scallops from the moored converted narrowboat cafe. Very pleasant few hours spent but it was a pity it was cloudy and a bit chilly so the car hood stayed up.

Chris

bondi blue 1.jpg

bondi blue 2.jpg

Edited By Chris Fellows on 04/08/2023 17:03:23

Chris Fellows
                                            Participant
                                              @chrisfellows72943

As to the roof and deck. In the cold light of day they looked pretty good but there was a number of small areas where the brush had dragged or something. I think I've thinned the paint to its optimum but I'm guessing that it's drying slightly too quickly as it's quite warm in the house. Trouble is, that as you are painting, you don't have a lot of time really.

Anyway, that's it. I've used a fine brush and touched them in, including using some thinners. Otherwise the men in white coats will be round!

harry smith 1
                                              Participant
                                                @harrysmith1

Look like we will see two finished boats by the end of summer !!!

Nice work old chap !!!

Harry

Colin Bishop
                                                  @colinbishop34627

That sky blue is a lovely colour, I will be using it a lot on my Greek fishing boat.

Colin

Chris Fellows
                                                  Participant
                                                    @chrisfellows72943

Thanks Harry. I don't know about finished, as the details can take a long time, but at least I can use them on the water and do the finishing off in the winter as I want to progress the painting on the others and try them out.

I wasn't sure about the blue when I saw it on the colour chart Colin but it does look nice on the tin lid and is certainly growing on me. Im glad I'm using it on this model now to make it more accurate (assuming that was the colour used!), it's brighter and will differentiate it more from the other Faireys. Don't want Ray thinking they're all the same!  smiley

Chris

Edited By Chris Fellows on 05/08/2023 13:13:35

Chris Fellows
                                                    Participant
                                                      @chrisfellows72943

I put one coat of the Bondi Blue on yesterday and gave it a light sanding and another coat this morning.

Bit disappointed really. I'm aware that you need to be wary of colour charts but I chose the colour based on the lid which I thought would be more accurate. It's coming out darker than shown and not really a turquoise blue. It's also quite patchy and will need quite a few coats to give a uniform finish, at least I don't need to keep masking up, just a steady hand!

It's a nice blue but just doesn't provide enough of a contrast with the Sapphire Blue.

Chris

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 116 total)