ESC

Advert

ESC

Home Forums Beginners ESC

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Andy Stone 1
    Participant
      @andystone1

Ive come across an ESC from the bits and bobs box, I have used it before and it worked well. Of course the old grey matter isn't working too well and Im amiss trying to remember what voltage it was made for. Ive written a number of emails to the Tywan manufacturer asking for info but had no reply, here's the question I'm hoping someone with far greater knowledge than myself can help.

I have a 12 volt Brushed motor I want to use, Would it destroy the ESC if it turned out to be a 6Volt operated type if I was to use a 12v battery , and would it drive the motor

Andy

Advert
      Andy Stone 1
      Participant
        @andystone1

Unknown Value

Ray Wood 3
        Participant
          @raywood3

Hi Andy,

Maybe a picture of the unit might help us help you ??

Regards Ray

Andy Stone 1
          Participant
            @andystone1

img_6593.jpgimg_6592.jpg

Andy Stone 1
            Participant
              @andystone1

Hi Ray, Sorry about the image size, strictly amateur as you can see. The number should read B4038 Companys usually reply to a customer but unfortunately not this on. Im hoping the pics can shed a light on it Ray

thanks, Andy

Charles Oates
              Participant
                @charlesoates31738

Hi Andy, it's listed on their website but with no specs. However, it does say it's an aircraft one, 40 amp max. To me that suggests no reverse, and possibly made for 7.2 volts max, as was once popular.

Andy Stone 1
                Participant
                  @andystone1

Hi Ray, I found the same on there website, tried to email them but not had a reply, never mind, a bit about the motor its a 12v Duratech 18,800 RPM so far too big for the ESC even using a 6V battery, Id like to try it but not game to. So I better get hold of the right ESC if I can, our local shop closed down during covid and not all state shops have fully replenished there stocks.

Regards, Andy

Richard Simpson
                  Participant
                    @richardsimpson88330

Have you to tried contacting Mtroniks direct? You can speak to them for advice and buy directly from their website mail order.

While it is always tempting to want to put old gear to good use, if there is any doubt as regards a piece of electronic equipment's capability, then I tend to far rather play it safe and throw it in the bin. Particularly old gear that may prove unreliable and put your model at risk from either loss of control or, even worse, over heating and damage to the model.

I also agree that does look a bit more like an aircraft unit so will probably not have a reverse, again compromising the safety of your model. 

Edited By Richard Simpson on 05/09/2023 09:15:03

Dave Cooper 6
                    Participant
                      @davecooper6

Hi Andy,

It might be worth having a play on the bench….a couple of guidelines (from past experience) :

1. I can't see your motor connectors in the photos, but, if there are two wires to power a motor, then the ESC is for a brushed motor.

2. If three motor wires, then it's for a brushless motor. (Swap any two to reverse direction).

3. Start experimenting with the lowest voltage you have and build up in small steps….

4. Use old motors, known to be good – worst case you may burn a few out.

If there is a burning smell from the ESC disconnect straight away. Wear safety glasses just in case.

Good hunting !

Dave

Andy Stone 1
                      Participant
                        @andystone1

Hi Thanks Charles Yes its an aircraft ESC totally unsuitable, It works fine on the submarine I made so it deffo worksI went ahead after finding a near suitable ESC from a website in Sydney, Ill just need to be careful about my battery choice Its a Brushless ESC Dave and thanks for you most welcome tips if I ever go down this path again, I will take notes and shove them in the Box along with the ESC before storing it. Luckily I don't need a reverse Richard but I understand what you've told me, there's risks which we either manage or ignore. Electrical items aren't just worth the risk.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)