Cruise Ships – Dawlish Devon

Advert

Cruise Ships – Dawlish Devon

Home Forums Full Size Ships Cruise Ships – Dawlish Devon

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Ray Wood 3
    Participant
      @raywood3

Hi All,

If anyone wondered where the cruise ships are layed up at anchorships sept 20.jpg? we were in Devon last weekend and took this not great photo of 4 ships, the nearest one being the Cunard Queen Mary 2, the others belonged to P&O I believe. Quite a sheltered spot from the south westerlies?

Regards Ray

Advert
      Ray Wood 3
      Participant
        @raywood3
        Paul Freshney
        Participant
          @paulfreshney24971

The P&O cruise liners are Arcadia, Ventura and Azura. P&O have announced today a further extension of their cruise ‘pause’ to January 2021 with some long cruises cancelled through to April 2021.

Cunard intend to bring their 3 ships, QM2, Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria back into service at monthly intervals starting around Easter 2021.

Iona, P&O’s new ship was due for delivery in early May this year, but they are taking delivery this month although it has nowhere to go or passengers to go on it.

These ships are anchored here in ‘cold’ lay-up with minimal crews to keep essential machinery working and bridge watches etc. This is somewhat cheaper than being alongside in port doing nothing and of course the chances of infection are low as effectively the crews are in permanent isolation.

Most cruise lines are also taking the opportunity to have some of their ships dry-docked and refreshed during this enforced stoppage and some are disposing of their older ships either by sale or scrapping.

All of Cruise and Maritime’s cruise ships including Marco Polo are being sold, hopefully, at auction as that company is now in administration.

Most keen ‘cruisers’ such as myself and my wife, do not expect any degree of normality to return until mid-2021 at the earliest.

Paul Freshney

Ray Wood 3
          Participant
            @raywood3

Hi Paul,

Thanks for that update, just such an unusual sight !! Your cruising and our Spanish holiday all put back to next year God willing ! Glad they have future plans to get up and running 👍

The West Country is really busy at the moment with everybody staying at home for holidays, another project on the horizon is the MV Oldenburg the ship which runs trips to Lundy Island from Ilfracombe, many photos taken so I can produce a drawing to build from 😀⚓⚓⚓

Verity in the background the 25t bronze statue by Damien Hirst

Regards Rayoldenburg 1.jpg

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 18/09/2020 06:53:42

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 18/09/2020 06:59:02

Colin Bishop
              @colinbishop34627

That would make a nice model Ray. There don't seem to be any drawings online except a couple of deck plans in the Lundy visit notes. There will be some drawings aboard the ship, maybe you could get a sight of them?

Colin

Ray Wood 3
              Participant
                @raywood3

Hi Colin,

Yes I'm sure they would have a set of builders drawings on board, but I didn't have the nerve to ask the crew, but I may contact the owners to ask the question? And take it from there, I'm sure there will be some similar designs by Jim Pottinger in Model Shipwright from the hull lines 😀

Regards Ray

Boiler Bri
                Participant
                  @boilerbri

I wonder how many ships are at anchor in the world due to COVID.

nice place to take a break Ray

Bri.

Bob Abell 2
                  Participant
                    @bobabell2

Hi Ray

Your slightly misaligned photo of the idle cruise ships parked up on a gloomy day puts the situation truly in perspective

Bob

Ray Wood 3
                    Participant
                      @raywood3

Hi Bob,

Your right, let's hope the photo is not indicative !!

How I miss the view finder & 35mm, at least in those days you had to wait and see how bad your photos were! And the eager anticipation of maybe 1 or 2 shots from the 24 or 36 exposure film ! never worth the wait 😀

Regards Ray

gecon
                      Participant
                        @gecon

Misaligned photo? Maybe just strong tides that day – ships going downhill? Or….do they sell cider i Devon?

George

Paul Freshney
                        Participant
                          @paulfreshney24971

This website tells you where they are worldwide.

https://www.cruisemapper.com

The ships move around a bit on an intermittent basis .

All you have to do is to keep enlarging the world map but concentrating on the South of England for example and their today current positions become clear.

Paul.

ashley needham
                          Participant
                            @ashleyneedham69188

Ray. I have been lazy of late and been using my small compact almost exclusively, as it is handy and at 20M pixels, produces good photos.

However, the last crop of fast boats has seen the Panasonic LUMIX bridge camera in action again, and what a treat. For a start the zoom is so much bigger, secondly it processes pictures much faster (although it displays the pic on the viewfinder for a few seconds, I discovered if you touch the shutter button it gets rid of this and takes another picture enabling rapid shooting, unlike the compact). I also like the weight, it’s not heavy as such, but much heavier than the compact, and this combined with the larger size gives much better handling.

But best of all…the pseudo eyepiece, with the massively added benefit of diopter correction, so I can actually see the snaps on the camera in focus! And it keeps out the sun.

I gave my Olympus OM20N and all my lenses to a charity shop. Not worth selling unfortunately. All that money I spent, a lovely camera, but I would never have used it again.

Ashley

Ray Wood 3
                            Participant
                              @raywood3

Hi Paul,

Thanks for that link 👍 it also has all the airfields 😎

Ashley,

Yes I will have to trade in the old Box Brownie, but I could do better if I read the instructions 😲,

I had my first over 65 flu jab yesterday it certainly works I feel rubbish today !!

Regards

Tim Cooper
                              Participant
                                @timcooper90034

Ray

If you have had your over 65 flu jab they will soon be lining you up with one for Pneumonia and Shingles! Had my flu jab a few weeks ago no ill effects but think I got the blunt needle.

Tim

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)