Colin Archer 1:15 scale

Advert

Colin Archer 1:15 scale

Home Forums Building Kits Colin Archer 1:15 scale

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 290 total)
  • Author
    Bob Abell 2
    Participant
      @bobabell2

Nice woodworking

It looks very neat and accurate too

Very pleasing

Bob

Advert
      gecon
      Participant
        @gecon

Thanks Bob, it's nothing compared to the magnificent builds you've recently shown us.

I have of course noticed that you built a Colin Archer RS1 a long time ago. The photo was rather small, but I'm sure the detail on yours was to the highest standard.

Unusual that you painted the hull green…the interior of today's restored Colin Archer is in fact, green. I have bought paint with the correct colour code which was sent to me by the Colin Archer museum near Oslo. My saloon deck will eventually be planked in oak-stained strip. The green on it now is only to seal the light ply.

I tried to post a photo of the look I'm trying to acheive, but they seem to be protected in some way and cannot be posted to album….aaahh I see they are not the right format….need to be 'jpg.files'

George

Edited By gecon on 02/07/2021 07:34:26

Edited By gecon on 02/07/2021 07:46:24

gecon
        Participant
          @gecon

Took photos of the reference photos on the 'boatshed' wall! Now in jpg. form

George20210702_083757.jpg20210702_083805.jpg

Bob Abell 2
          Participant
            @bobabell2

Thank you, George

Keep up the good work

There are no photos of my build, as I wasn`t a member of any club at the time of my first RC Boat build.

The model sailed quite well but was very tender

I remember fitting a motor later, to get out of the Doldrums

Regards Bob

neil hp
            Participant
              @neilhp

looking superb George…….wish i'd kept my kit now…………

c'est la vie.

gecon
              Participant
                @gecon

20210703_170747.jpgI mentioned 2 days ago about more details popping up as the build progresses. frownI thought it a bit strange that the side, sea-berth bulkheads were plain wood and not planked -as with the deviding bulkheads. I found a more detailed photo this morning which show the PLANKS on the side bulkheads. So a new job has appeared on the 'interior details' list!

Started planking the sea-berth bulkheads today. The photo shows a 'crew's-eye-view'. When the deck is on, the top edges of the bulkheads will not be visible, and the rest will be sanded/painted so it should look tidier than in the photo.

George

Edited By gecon on 03/07/2021 17:12:43

gecon
                Participant
                  @gecon

I notice at times a bit of ache in the lower back muscles. I think the solution is to raise the 'shipyard' 12cm. Unfortunately, not super-laser-cut on Paul's new gismo but on ye olde handsaw. 20210705_184914.jpg

A shelf / compartment for the RX batt. has also been 'non-laser-cut' from scrap 3mm light ply. The receiver will be just aft of this in the the well ventilated heads compartment.20210705_185006.jpg

George

gecon
                  Participant
                    @gecon

20210709_072237.jpgI seem to be having trouble with inspiration these days. The interior units are not complex to make at all, yet I am making such slow progress. Hope this weekend will see more activity and some real change in the look of the interior.

Started yesterday evening on the last sea-berth which is aft and to STB in the hull. This is planned to have an open privacy curtain and visible bedding/duvet on the bunk within. Maybe I should be making doll's houses and save cash on R/C gear?

Wish all a good weekend.

George

Edited By gecon on 09/07/2021 07:31:40

Richard Simpson
                    Participant
                      @richardsimpson88330

I quite often find that if a project is slowing down and I am starting to loose enthusiasm then I take a break and do some sort of quick and easy fix type project for a while.

Make an Airfix kit, paint a figure or build a toy pond yacht etc. It just gets the enthusiasm going again. I am certain that the lack of enthusiasm comes from not seeing any progress in a large project and you start to feel like you will never finish it. You need to do something that you can finish fairly quickly.

It works for me anyway.

Bob Abell 2
                      Participant
                        @bobabell2

Your workmanship is excellent

And that takes time

Stick at it

Bob

Eddie Lancaster
                        Participant
                          @eddielancaster

When you are following other people’s work and plans you don’t have to do much thinking, just cut and glue the pieces together, when you are off piste then you have to spend more time thinking about how to get what is in your mind into a 3D object, it takes me a lot longer now before the penny drops as to how am going to do something.

Everything is looking good.

Eddie.

gecon
                          Participant
                            @gecon

Thanks to all above for helpfull suggestions and comments.

Richard; during planking/glassing of the Fisher hull I often had to do 'diverge' to other small tasks like painting the crew figures or make some wheelhouse details. I do in fact have a small Airfix kit of HMS Victorious in storage. My father travelled to Hong Kong on the Victorious in about 1946 to work in the electric power station -as part of the rebuilding after the Japanese 'departed'.

Bob: Thank you for that, but my efforts are -at best- very average.

Eddie; I agree. The Billing Boats Colin Archer is a 'kit' with clean laser cut parts, but most of the building is "off piste" in that the instructions more or less leave you to your own devices. Easy to become a bit "piste off" while "off piste"!

Of course, the interior detail Im trying to produce is 'my own fault'. Billing suggest nothing about interior detail in the kit.

Anyway, I'm plodding along with it and as each peice is produced I'm getting more content with the results.

Thanks again to all,

George

Edited By gecon on 10/07/2021 10:33:52

gecon
                            Participant
                              @gecon

20210710_183527.jpgCut some light ply this afternoon which just might become a resemblance of a wood-burning stove. This will be placed fwd of the saloon table…which is still in the 'thinking stage' which is allways a sluggish process.

George

gecon
                              Participant
                                @gecon

Wood-burning stove has been produced and painted in matt black humbrol.

20210712_090046.jpg

Saloon table should be pine or spruce, but lightply with a thin layer of teak stain will have to do. Heavy duty hinges have been installed in place of the previous ones which were bent when the bosun was helping the captain's wife with something, can't remember what it was.

The bench seat by the aft sea berth has received black leather covering.

George

20210712_100007.jpg

Richard Simpson
                                Participant
                                  @richardsimpson88330

Superb, everything just goes together so well and have been beautifully made. The overall effect is a perfect rendition of a period cabin. I do like the wood panelling as well.

gecon
                                  Participant
                                    @gecon

Thank you Richard, The original colour geen paint is still to go onto the panelling. It's rather GREEN but that's not my fault. Have to test it soon in fact, before the bulkheads get too dificult to access.

Forgot the aft sea berth photo. Not very exciting but part of the build never-the-less.

George20210712_090132.jpg

gecon
                                    Participant
                                      @gecon

Thank you Richard, The original colour geen paint is still to go onto the panelling. It's rather GREEN but that's not my fault. Have to test it soon in fact, before the bulkheads get too dificult to access.

Forgot the aft sea berth photo. Not very exciting but part of the build never-the-less.

George20210712_090132.jpg

Bob Abell 2
                                      Participant
                                        @bobabell2

Very nice, George

You are making a very nice silk purse out of a ……Sow`s Ear

And that`s a compliment, in case you have not heard the saying before

Bob

Richard Simpson
                                        Participant
                                          @richardsimpson88330

My Mum used to say the lady next door was like "Mutton dressed as Lamb", is that the same thing Bob? wink

Bob Abell 2
                                          Participant
                                            @bobabell2

There must be dozens of similar sayings.Richard…… Viz,,,,,

No point in locking the door after the horse has bolted

You can lead a horse to water, but you can`t make it drink

Nay cast a clout, till May is out

Fools rush in where Angels fear to tread

Look before you leap

There`s no Fool like an Old Fool

Don`t count your chickens before they hatch

Many a true was spoken in jest

Take care of the pennies and the pounds will take care of their selves

A Wolf in Sheeps clothing

He`s a Dark Horse

Like Mutton, dressed as Lamb

Any more?

Bob

Richard Simpson
                                            Participant
                                              @richardsimpson88330

The "Mutton dressed as Lamb" always makes me smile as it reminds me of the particular lady in question.

A shame the panelling is going to get painted George, I'm far more a fan of letting the beauty of wood show through varnish! I know you want to make it accurately though.

gecon
                                              Participant
                                                @gecon

I agree about the beauty of natural wood Richard, and there will be plenty og that on deck and aloft.

The unusual shade of green below will not be seen very often. I wonder if the colour was chosen for the same reason for the 'death row green' in San Quentin prison?! Green is supposed to be a calming/soothing colour.

I doubt if this colour was used in the early 1900's when these vessels were out in the North Sea assisting fishing boats in trouble. I will have to investigate that.

On a different note….a few weeks ago I sent an e-mail to Billing Boats explaining that the propshaft in my donkey's years old kit was not straight. The second kit that I have, contained a straight shaft, so I installed that.

I got a reply after 10 days saying that the kit was WAY beyond the standard 2 years' guarantee period. They sent me a complete replacement shaft and tube unit in the post anyway! I was impressed. Maybe they felt sorry for me as I did tell them that I owned two of these kits.

George

Edited By gecon on 13/07/2021 16:03:10

gecon
                                                Participant
                                                  @gecon

964_2125054035.jpg964_237846075.jpgA friend who lives in the East of Norway has his full size Fisher 37 for sale. Here she is, moored alongside Colin Archer. One photo shows the Colin Archer dinghy which I modelled as a Fisher-build diversion last year last year.

964_589013446.jpgNot often these two vessels can be seen in the same photo!.

Bob Abell 2
                                                  Participant
                                                    @bobabell2

Hi Gecon

Found a few old photo`s of possible interest

My Colin Archer with the deep keel of solid lead, it sailed OK, but was very unpleasant to handle

I later thought that the deep keel was more trouble than it was worth

Colin Archer sailing with the heavy keel.

Note the waterline is not affected much by the extra weight?

Louis Heloise. which was my next model build.

For your interest

Bob

colin archer keel.jpg

ca sailing.jpg

lh sailing.jpg

gecon
                                                    Participant
                                                      @gecon

Thanks for that Bob,

Wow! deep keel with capital 'D'. Both nice boats though. Lots of character.

My Colin Archer has the standard 6kg of ballast deep in the bilges! Ballast is placed between the main mast and the motor bulkhead as per the plans.

George

Edited By gecon on 14/07/2021 16:29:04

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 290 total)