Colin Archer 1:15 scale

Advert

Colin Archer 1:15 scale

Home Forums Building Kits Colin Archer 1:15 scale

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 290 total)
  • Author
    gecon
    Participant
      @gecon

Thanks Ray, can't fix glaucoma, but it can be slowed down and maybe stopped -by eyedrops or even an op. Mine is still getting very slowly worse. Bigger boats are deffinately OUT. Don't really want to make any more actually. I get so absorbed in planning and building that at times I do't think about anything else than the next construction stage.

The Colin Archer is my last project. It's over to small trains for relaxation!

My son-in-law actually invited me to see TG Maverick sometime soon. Should be interesting -and noisey!

George

Advert
      gecon
      Participant
        @gecon

Done a few small jobs today. Attached the topsail (hand sewing) to the 'spire'. Hoisted the 'spire' up the main mast.

Attached the inner forestay with brass bottlescrew. Used 3mm cord as shown on the plan. Considered a wire stay but it did not look right.

Photos in wrong order again!

George

20220727_164523.jpg

20220727_124900.jpg

20220727_150841.jpg

gecon
        Participant
          @gecon

20220727_152353.jpgFitted a 'Simrad' boatspeed indicator -as on the present full size Colin Archer.

View from the helm. I think I need a GoPro cube to capture the view when sailing.

George

20220727_152424.jpg

Edited By gecon on 27/07/2022 19:29:10

neil hp
          Participant
            @neilhp

she looks absolutely beautiful George…….top marks indeed.

gecon
            Participant
              @gecon

Thanks Neil, I am pleased with the result so far. Luckily there's not too much to do now before she's ready for the local lake.

As I mentioned to Ray, I will not be starting another boat project after this one. The 'shipyard' will be tidied up and a small train layout will take it's place. This will be less likely to to inspire the Admiralty to look for 'a prefered gentleman' -as you called himwink…..or invite me to walk-the-plank!

George

gecon
              Participant
                @gecon

Disappearing dead-eye.

Pushed out 16 dead-eyes ages ago and stained them so they would be ready when I needed them. When I took them out of the closed plastic box yesterday morning, there was one missing. Looked all over the place, to no avail.

Made a new one from scrap ply.

20220731_073211.jpg

When I started assembling them last evening (for light entertainment)….there was one missingangry. Looked 'all over the place' again then went to bed a little bit 'bothered'.

Started looking again this morning and found it on a glass table immediately below the smoked glass table I was working on. It's just visible in the centre of the photo below.

20220731_071851.jpg

I'll get them fitted to the boat ASAP -so I know where to find them!

This was the Sunday useless-info post.

George

Edited By gecon on 31/07/2022 07:47:53

gecon
                Participant
                  @gecon

Some delay due to painting garage doors (wide ones!) for the entrance to our common parking hall under the flats.

The inner foresail is being 'ringed onto the forestay. Fun work compared to dead-eye fumbling.

20220805_095254.jpg

The top end of the shrouds are wrapped around the main mast at the gallows for the mainsail fork.

20220804_112625.jpg

Threaded the dead-eyes after much fumbling and losing bits on the carpet below the dining table! The result is not very good, but I have now sourced some 1mm brass bolts and washers for delivery next week which should tidy things up a bit. The bolts will replace the rather untidy brass rod which is threaded through the lugs on the dead-eye straps. The silvery nav-light cable will be painted brown or black and fastened inboard of the aft shroud.

George20220804_112641.jpg

gecon
                  Participant
                    @gecon

20220810_230315.jpgThe Colin Archer is ready for a sail trial. Took lots of night photos this evening just in case she sinks on the maiden voyagesad

As with the Fisher, I have installed genuine IKEA Xmas LEDs . The light looks brighter in the photos than it actually is. Will post a stack of photos during the next few days. If I can get some video footage during sail trials, I'll try to post that on You Tube. After that there will be relative peace on this thread.yes

George

20220810_230212.jpg

20220810_230241.jpg20220810_230231.jpg

Edited By gecon on 10/08/2022 22:57:36

gecon
                    Participant
                      @gecon

20220810_231026.jpg20220810_230724.jpg20220810_230708.jpg

gecon
                      Participant
                        @gecon

20220811_073122.jpg20220811_073955.jpgPrior to last night's 'candle-light-supper photos', I did a few function tests -specifically on the foresail winch arrangement. I have of course tested it previously, but not with the foresails rigged and hoisted.

As feared, the lack of constant tension on both sheets P&S, caused some problems when operating the winch. Because there is not a slight constant tension on both lines the sheet on the leeward side has slop in it as the winch starts to wind in. This causes the sheet not to wind onto the drum smoothly. This in turn causes it to jam inside the winch drum. I did include sprung pulleys below deck to try to compensate for this but it has not been 100% effective.

Luckily though, I'm not planning to 'race around the buoys' with the Colin Archer, so I hope It'll not cause too much agro. Building a scale interior does of course hinder the installation of a propper closed loop winch sytem as on the Fisher.

Adding a few more photos here to show the Admiralty-produced fenders, The dinghy on deck, and the brass rod to guide the inner staysail clew foreward of the mast and pinrail.

Looks like the weather is going to be very warm today, so hope there are not too many people wanting to swim in my test-lake!

George

20220811_075336.jpg

Richard Simpson
                        Participant
                          @richardsimpson88330

That interior is absolutely stunning. I have seen a number of builds of this kit over the years but nothing has come anywhere near the standard of this one. As you say, its not built for racing, nor do you have to send it out in a gale, this model is for sedate peaceful Sunday morning cruising showing off the superb quality of the build.

Don't stop posting pictures just yet we want to see her on the water!

Ray Wood 3
                          Participant
                            @raywood3

Hi George,

Well done, you have taken your build to another level, best one I've ever seen

Kind Regards

Andrew Biggs
                            Participant
                              @andrewbiggs29914

Stunning

look forward to seeing it afloat

gecon
                              Participant
                                @gecon

Many thanks gents,

Back from the maiden voyage. The Colin Archer sailed amazingly well, despite the unsatisfactory headsail control. The inne staysail She displaces 11.4 kg which is about 2kg heavier than it should be. Post more detail later. Posting a few photos asap. Took many, need time to sort through them. Admiralty ordering a barbeque so suddenly a bit buisy this afternoon.

George

gecon
                                Participant
                                  @gecon

20220811_120514.jpg20220811_121534.jpg20220811_112159.jpg20220811_091118.jpgI see I made a blunder -again in the previous post. I meant to write– " the inner staysail worked well as a self-tacking sail". The brass rod foreward of the pinrail lead the clew of the sail nicely around the mast.

Posting photos of the retractable bowsprit which allows the CA to fit into the car! a couple of sailing shots too.

Took some video too will post it on Y-T if I can remember how I did it with the Fisherlaugh

George

20220811_122008.jpg

neil hp
                                  Participant
                                    @neilhp

a beautiful model George, and she looks a good sailer too…….far better on the water than my lifeboat turned out to be, lol.

enjoy sailing her, she looks fantastic.

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 11/08/2022 19:04:42

gecon
                                    Participant
                                      @gecon

Thanks Neil, I was a bit disheartened yesterday evening when I noticed the foresail winch system was a bit lacking, but very pleased on the lake when all worked very well. Posting photos as they crop up and will try to get a video on YT eventually and then I have to tidy up the 'ship-yard' store room.

Info to all….

Waiting for some 1mm x 12mm bolts to arrive to tidy up the dead-eyes. Also a few other tweeks to do to reduce the work at water's edge. After that I'll be producing a small trin set in the store room!

When I was out with the Colin Archer today a chap with a dog strolled up and said he subscribed to Modell Boats Magazine! and has stacks of model boats. Building a Clyde Puffer just now. I told him to post on the forum, so maybe he'll turn up here sometime.

We agreed to meet sometimes at the lake to sail. After 3 years I finally met a local modelboater!

George

gecon
                                      Participant
                                        @gecon

I reckon that will do!20220811_121534.jpg20220811_121633.jpg20220811_121639.jpg20220811_121643.jpg20220811_121941.jpg

gecon
                                        Participant
                                          @gecon

Billing Boats:

Although the instructions for the Colin Archer build are the scantiest I have ever seen for a kit, I must add that at least Billing boats respond to requests for help.

In spite of the fact that my particular kit was produced about 15 years ago, they sent me a new, replacement propshaft PDQ -and free. They responded immediately to my request for info about a tiny wooden part (a static block) which I couldn't find on the plans. They are sending me a new set of transfers. The original ones are yellow around the edges (instead of clear) and self-distruct when in contact with water!

I understand that the new owners are working on modernising building methods of much of the fleet -and hopefully their concept of "building instructions".

George

Andrew Biggs
                                          Participant
                                            @andrewbiggs29914

Feeling inspired!

certainly a wonderful model, great to see it afloat. Many thanks

good to see it fits in the car !

Edited By Andrew Biggs on 13/08/2022 16:12:26

gecon
                                            Participant
                                              @gecon

Thanks Andrew,

The ability to retract the bowsprit is essential to both, keeping it in one piece, and getting the yacht into a medium size hatchback.

I'm feeling withdrawal symtoms already. Since early 2019 I have had yacht construction ideas wizzing around in my head day and night. But there's no going back now. I have 3 relatively large yachts and there is absolutely no space to store another one.

The boatyard (105cm X 40cm) is being dismantled, and the wood and foam-bord for the trainset base has been bought in. I doubt if it's appropriate to start a 'train-thread' here!

I will post a few on-the water- photos sometimes. I hope to get all 3 boats on the lake at the same time, sometime. Will need to hire a van for the day -or round up some family members

Thanks to all who have helped with inputs and encouragement since I started.

George

20220812_105732.jpg

20220812_105723.jpg

Edited By gecon on 14/08/2022 06:46:32

gecon
                                              Participant
                                                @gecon

In connection with thanking Billing Boats for sending me a new set of FREE transfers for the CA RS1, I sent them a few of the last photos of the yacht. I managed to restrain from sending them a photo of my …er…'hobby room'.

Jens Henrik Thrane ref. MB september issue, has asked me to post the build on Billing Boats' facebook side. I am not 'on facebook' so he has now asked if he can send a link to my CA forum build -to Billing Boats' facebook side. I hope this is good PR for Model Boats and I hope it doesn't put anyone off building a CA RS1.

I have mentioned to BB that the instructions for the Colin Archer need an UP-grade.

Off to TRY to get get some CA film on YouTube…..

George

Richard Simpson
                                                Participant
                                                  @richardsimpson88330

I really think you should send a couple of pictures in to Model Boats Magazine George for the "Your Models" section. That interior in particular deserves to be applauded.

Richard Simpson
                                                  Participant
                                                    @richardsimpson88330

Have you any idea what you are going to build next?

Edited By Richard Simpson on 17/08/2022 16:26:19

Colin Bishop
                                                      @colinbishop34627

As Richard says, send some pics in to the 'Reader's Models'section of the magazine.

[email protected]

Colin

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 290 total)