Colin Archer 1:15 scale

Advert

Colin Archer 1:15 scale

Home Forums Building Kits Colin Archer 1:15 scale

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 276 through 290 (of 290 total)
  • Author
    gecon
    Participant
      @gecon

Hello gents, I will give in to the pressure and sort something during this weekend. Thank you again for the compliments. I will not be able to choose just a couple of photos -more like 10- so the editor will have to the editingsmiley…edit them all?

As for the next build, and I have mentioned this before. There is absolutely no more space for me to store another yacht. I've got 3 now, and I will spend my time tweeking them and refining things that don't work perfectly…like the foresail on the Colin Archer. It works fine, but not as well as I intended. The Fisher 34 set-up with two foresail winches is much better. However the Colin Archer sails remarkably well, so I'll sail her a few times before making any changes – if any.

The photo below shows a Chinese, rosewood writing bureau, bought in Hong Kong. Observant readers will notice that it is placed where the 'boat yard' used to be. Admiralty (and I) wanted it removed from the hall. Some day Il'l try to flog it to one of the local chinese restaurants.

In the near-ish future, and at a height of approx 15cm above the top of the bureau, I will place a base for an N-guage train layout. The baseboard will be approx 240cm long and the width will vary from max 60cm to min 35cm. It will 'disappear' out of sight to the left and right of the photo. I am at present removing some stored junk and painting/refreshing the walls in the store room.

George

20220818_153223.jpg

Advert
      gecon
      Participant
        @gecon

Hello all,

This is a sort of 'closing down session' of the Colin Archer build log.

Could not manage to post a working link to YouTube videos, so had to just copy them. Most of the other related videos appear randomly on the side panel on the YT screen, so you don't need to write in all the links.

Will do the same for a few videos on the the Fisher build log too. Quality is good on my PC but not much good when 'beamed up'. Would have helped a bit to have the sun behind me when filming.

Have considered a GoPro HERO 5 session camera to mount on deck. Found a used one for sale locally, but I'm not sure it's worth the expense (£215).

May try to attach the Roam 2 camera as used in the wheelhouse of the Fisher.

George

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_mjeL1CKg8k Colin Archer lakeside 1st time 11.08.2022

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PDatTLFeXVY&t=91s Colin Archer RS1 maiden voyage 11.08.2022

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6B-PYJD1sIA Colin Archer RS1 maiden voyage. 11.08.2022

Richard Simpson
        Participant
          @richardsimpson88330

George's links made 'live':

Lakeside First Time

Maiden Voyage Part 1

Maiden Voyage Part 2

By the way George I paid around £100.00 for my Go-Pro Hero Session, in very good unmarked condition and in its original packaging.  I would keep looking as I'm sure you can do better than £200.00

Edited By Richard Simpson on 19/08/2022 19:58:00

gecon
          Participant
            @gecon

Thanks Richard, you're a genius!

George

ashley needham
            Participant
              @ashleyneedham69188

George. I have been following your build, and I know I haven’t posted much on this thread, but at the end of the day you have done a fantastic job full of detail and craftmanship.

yes, stick some “readers models” pictures in to the mag. They deserve to have a wider audience.

Ashley

Chris Fellows
              Participant
                @chrisfellows72943

Hi George, it's been great following your builds and seeing them on the water. It's a pity that you don't have the space to build another.

Space is a problem that many of us have and as well as it being summer I haven't done anything for weeks/months as Bedroom 4/workroom is cluttered up. However with our son being away for a couple of weeks I've taken advantage to have a sort out and it will wonderful to have some space again, enough to swing a hamster if not a cat! This will renew my enthusiasm and particularly as the weather cools I will progress my builds again.

Chris

gecon
                Participant
                  @gecon

It would be too complicated to thank you all individually for the compliments and words of help and encouragement since Ashley first welcomed me the the forum 3 years ago, so be assured I am very greatfull for all of the inputs.

I have sent an e-mail to the editor asking for info' on what may be of interest -if anything- to include in the magazine. All the info' and photos in the build-logs for the Fisher and Colin Archer are available to all readers so I'm not sure that readers actually need to see the same stuff printed in the mag. If however material is required, I am only too pleased to supply it.

At some stage this autumn I hope to get the Fisher and Colin Archer sailing together with a camera on board each yacht. Son-in-Law, grandson with the drone (which can be seen in a Fisher video) will all be employed, without pay.

Off again to the tidy the store room -even more- to make space for the choo-choo layout…..

George

Ray Wood 3
                  Participant
                    @raywood3

Hi George,

It would appear to be a a different audience who buy the magazine compared to the relative few who contribute to the forum, in some ways the forum doesn't help the magazine, as before the www was formed people had to write to the magazine if they wanted to contribute !!

Most of my build's which have been published in the magazine over the last few years have also been on the forum but 2 years earlier, also much of Richard's steam column photos have been put on the forum already.

Anyway keep up the good work with the railway, I have some N gauge stuff I'll see what I have and let you know if it's any good to you ?

Regards Ray

gecon
                    Participant
                      @gecon

Thanks for the enlightenment Ray! Never thought much about how the mag' contributions function.

My old boat-building faciltiy is now tidied up and shelving in the store room has been cut away and 'manipulated' to permit laying a baseboard about 2.4m x 40cm with 50-60 cm availible at the ends for turning circles. My train stuff is Fleischmann, which is about the only N-scale which is easy toget over here, but if you have anything interesting to flogg I'd be pleased to have a look at it.

George

Colin Bishop
                        @colinbishop34627

Previous editor Paul Freshney's policy was not to publish in the magazine material that had been previously posterd online in the public domain. Quite understandable.

Ashley keeps his projects largely under wraps prior to publication, as do I!

Colin

gecon
                        Participant
                          @gecon

That makes sense to me. It's hardly worth publishing in the magazine what's been availible to everybody for ages.

George

Ray Wood 3
                          Participant
                            @raywood3

Hi George,

I have sent you a Private Message

Regards Ray

Richard Simpson
                            Participant
                              @richardsimpson88330

George, just got this month's magazine and had a look at your Colin Archer pictures. They came out really good. Congratulations!

gecon
                              Participant
                                @gecon

Thanks for the info Richard, I was not expecting anything to be appear until at least December/January. Lindsey kindly sent me a few lines of text for approval. Just a few small detail changes and I mailed it back.

I look in to the Forum every weekend, but with nothing sensible to contribute I keep my trap shut secret. At this moment I'm watching an episode of Love of Canals featuring Thames barges (Lady Daphne) near the Tower of London! Ray will be proud of me! I like the look of them, but the space is not available.

Regards to all,

George

bruce dixon
                                Participant
                                  @brucedixon30601

Great Job On your boat.

I recently aquired a Colin Archer "414" non wood hull. From a person who has left us. It only has one servo operating the Sails I am trying to figure out how this rigging is set up Old instruction sheet shows 3 servo's being used.

Question How have you set up your Sail sevro winch rigging? I think I am stuck with the one servo being as the boat has been built already.

do you have any photos on the rigging connections you can share?

Thank you

Viewing 15 posts - 276 through 290 (of 290 total)