Colin Archer 1:15 scale

Advert

Colin Archer 1:15 scale

Home Forums Build Blogs Colin Archer 1:15 scale

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    gecon
    Participant
      @gecon

Not sure how good I'll be at a real build blogg but I'll at least post some photos of the progress of the Colin Archer 414 PS kit which I bought of a chap who did not have the time to start building. I've built the stand…. wow! and even given it som Owatrol D1 oil and D2 varnish/topcoat.

Have also just received a 9" plastic dinghy hull which I am going to try to make resemble the dinghy used by the present refurbished RS1 in Norway. It won't be a true-to-scale dinghy but -with a bit of 'manipulation' – it should be acceptable.

George

Advert
      gecon
      Participant
        @gecon
        gecon
        Participant
          @gecon

Norlandsjolle between two Colin ArchersGood morning all, or maybe someone. Wx is bad in Stavanger today. NW. 30kts. Wave hgt 1.9 metres. But that was in the shower. About 1m on the local fjord.

Following a suggestion, I have posted the dinghy/'jolle' for the CA RS1. Cheated a bit by using a Sarik 9" plastic hull as a basis. I'm in fact pleased with the result. The full size one is photographed somewhere near Oslo, Norway. Photo of the fullsize from the bow is posted in album. Had to take a photo of the PC screen to get it in j.peg format.

Ray Wood 3
          Participant
            @raywood3

Hi George,

That's a good looking dinghy now you have completed the hard part you will have to build the boat to attach it too

Yep grim weather here this weekend didn't sail any boats

Regards Ray

neil hp
            Participant
              @neilhp

beautiful work George………so much detailed work in such a small model in its own rights.

superb!

gecon
              Participant
                @gecon

Thank you gents for your kind words. The standard is a long way off the exhibits presented by yourselves and many others. I am however pleased with the general appearance of the dinghy. It was not actually part of the plan until I started looking at photos on the gallery of the Colin Archer RS1 site in Norway.

The 'tug-boat' for the dinghy will be on it's way up from the cellar store room as soon as building space permits. Maybe I'll have a keel-laying ceremony in the kitchen while waiting for some Fisher-phase to dry or cure etc.

regards,

George

gecon
                Participant
                  @gecon

20200707_194913.jpgThe 'dinghy-tug' paid a quick visit to the boatyard this afternoon. Also pictured alongside the newly undercoated Fisher 34. Easy to note the receipe for a sea-kindly hull shape by studying these two hulls. The Colin Archer internal keel parts will received a few dollops of Stabilit Express tomorrow before returning to the cellar store for20200707_195537.jpg a while.

I still feel it 'clogs' the system å bit to post photos here so I'll post most future progress photos to my Colin Archer album.

George

Ray Wood 3
                  Participant
                    @raywood3

Hi George,

You know a picture is worth a thousand words so somebody said and I think they are right, the text is secondary to the photos and most of our ramblings 😀

I had a great afternoon boating on the Royal Military Canal Hythe with my grandsons with 2 yachts & a speed boat, they seemed to enjoy it 👍

Regards Ray

gecon
                    Participant
                      @gecon

20200917_204518.jpgThe Colin Archer is on a rare visit to the builder's yard after spending most of the summer in the cellar. This is only because I need to test my airbushing skills endeavours. The topsides -now newspapered- are silk-ish white and the BTM will be Billing Boats 'hull red' some time tomorrow. The painting session was planned for today but a few family-assistance-sorties took a while to sort out and the sun was getting low in the sky by the time I was home again.

Not an inspiring photo but the crossword on the bow creates interest – for those very few who comprehend the 'viking lingo'.

George

Edited By gecon on 17/09/2020 20:16:49

gecon
                      Participant
                        @gecon

20200918_133434.jpgAdmiralty frowning -just a littleangry 2– at the state of the balcony today. Several passes of Billing Boats 'hull red' acrylic have now been applied. Still need more cover on it and a little silky-matte clear coat. I'm now in the mental state of "just do it" and find the necessary excuses for any flawed paintwork later. Like when a wasp flew in and I sprayed red onto the sliding glass door. Came off PDQ -with water!cocktail

Safe weekend to all,

George20200918_133511.jpg

gecon
                        Participant
                          @gecon

20200920_140947.jpgTamiya Clear Gloss acrylic airbrushed onto the hull today. Probably a bit early in the build to be painting as there's sure to be some workshop damage during the build but I needed to test out how to get a silk finish before forgetting the paint/thinner/retarder mix. I note from several 'you-tubers' that the mix is not critical so long as it's all stirred well.

Could have used more retarder but did not want to push my luck and risk 'running paint' syndrome. There'll be a pause in the CA contruction while I try to get the 20200920_141005.jpgFisher 34 curvey-cockpit built.

George

Edited By gecon on 20/09/2020 14:47:05

Edited By gecon on 20/09/2020 14:47:47

Edited By gecon on 20/09/2020 14:50:30

gecon
                          Participant
                            @gecon

Hull going into storage for a while…

George20200921_091938.jpg

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)