British Aviator

Advert

British Aviator

Home Forums Gallery British Aviator

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Bob Wilson
    Participant
      @bobwilson59101

BP tanker British Aviator – 1924 –

british aviator coloured & labelled.jpg

Advert
      Bob Wilson
      Participant
        @bobwilson59101
        Bob Abell 2
        Participant
          @bobabell2

Nice looking ship, Bob……..Is this ear marked for your next build?

i'm a little surprised at the extensive wireless stuff?

Suppose, that's what makes the model of special interest?

Bob

Bob Wilson
          Participant
            @bobwilson59101

Thanks Bob,,

It isn't radio stuff for the most part. The radio aerial is across the two mastheads with the downlead going to the radio room. Below that is a traitic stay with a number of halliards hanging from it. At certain times in port when the tanks were empty, huge canvas "sails" would be hoisted on these, to funnel the wind down the tanks to clear the oil fumes. There are two flag halliards going from the yard to the bridge wings, and the one going down to the forecastle head is for the "anchor ball," that should be hoisted when the ship is at anchor.

I am not planning on building British Aviator. In fact I am not doing much model shipbuilding at the moment. It is not safe to send models via couriers anymore, because of breakages. Due to Covid, no-one can come and collect them personally, and I have a feeling that this "lockdown" can now be regarded as more-or-less permament. So I have turned to drawing. This is one I did of a ship that I spent two years in – the iron ore carrier Sagamore. I superimposed a photograph of the real sea over the lower part, and added a few storm clouds with photo editing software -.

Bob

sagamore in sea with storm clouds(large).jpg

Bob Abell 2
            Participant
              @bobabell2

Thanks Bob

I didn`t really think they were aerials, but they had me scratching my head alright

I agree with your dismal forecast concerning the virus!

Unless we find a cure……..!

The crack pots rushing about in large groups…..Won`t be in large groups for long!

Can`t understand the Government relaxing the restrictions, it`s just asking for trouble

Look after yourself Robert and everybody too……Be careful out there!

Bob

harry smith 1
              Participant
                @harrysmith1

Hi Bob

The government in Victoria(Australia) relaxed to rules and has kick they butt.

Second wave and has got into New South Wales!!!

Tasmania only one case( from Victoria) in about two months!!!

It's a pain in the butt, but follow the safest rules !!!

We have been back boating for a few months with all the safety stuff.

So we are very luck at this point of time, but it only takes one!!!!

Some times in pays to live on a small island !!!

Harry Smith

Bob Abell 2
                Participant
                  @bobabell2

Know what yer mean, `arry

Sorry for the SILLY opening phrase, but it is a well known saying in the UK

I`m wondering how the Black Death in medieval days actually died out?

It ought to be investigated, as there may be a life boat in it for us all?

Bob

Bob Wilson
                  Participant
                    @bobwilson59101

The Black Death died out with the great fire of London that burned up most of the rats! I believe this thing is being spread by aircraft more than anything else! And zero chance of them phasing that out!

Colin Bishop
                      @colinbishop34627

My first job was with Furness Ship Management in Leadenhall Street, London, and I initially worked in the payroll department. I used to be involved with payments to the officers of the ships which included Sagamore.

Colin

Bob Abell 2
                      Participant
                        @bobabell2

HI Bob

You are nearly right about the departure of the Black Death….But not quite

There is a pretty little village, nor far from where I live called EYAM in Derbyshire

During the Black Death period, a parcel of clothes was sent to Eyam and it was infected with the Bubonic Plague !

The village was decimated by the plague and yet it miraculously died out!…..HOW?

A true miracle.

In the church there is a Roll of Honour book and the first entry I looked at was by coincidence a Kenneth Abell

Bob

Bob Wilson
                        Participant
                          @bobwilson59101

Yes, but that was directly connected to the London outbreak. After the fire, it never appeared on a massive scale again. But there was a case recently, forgot where – so it is still around –

Bob

Bob Wilson
                          Participant
                            @bobwilson59101

I didn't actualy work for Furness Withy, but was rented to them from the marine radio company AEI, but I would have joined them if they started taking radio officers direct. Perhaps just as well they didn't, because my next company was Union-Castle, and the passenger ships were more to my liking than cargo.

Edited By Bob Wilson on 29/07/2020 15:30:19

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)