Bows

Advert

Bows

Home Forums Beginners Bows

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Andy Barker
    Participant
      @andybarker11470

20230309_105103.jpg

Got the bows carved and started sanding, still a lot of work to do on them but as a first attempt not too shabby. However not happy as the rake has turned out all wrong… my bad. So I'm now thinking cut my losses and time and start again, with a lot more care taken. Quite like the idea of trying MTB 74 from the St. Nazaire raid. Think I have the bulk heads sussed. The super structure is scartch built what ever I do so… Italeri do this as a kit so plenty of reference pics.

Andy

Advert
      Andy Barker
      Participant
        @andybarker11470
        John W E
        Participant
          @johnwe

mtb plan  (2).jpghi there Andy

judging by the photograph there is nothing wrong with what you have done. You can correct anything with a bit of filler that you yourself are not happy with. Hand on heart, every builder has made a mistake – secretly filled the mistake in – it's part of the hobby. Camouflage easy when you cover it with tissue & resin – whatever you use.

If you are thinking about the MTB 74 – Glynn Guest – drew a plan for a semi scaled MTB – which is similar to 74 – the main difference on the 74 is the torpedo tubes were lifted high up on her deck to allow torpedos (when launched) to skip over the top of the netting around the dock gates at St Nazaire. This plan could be modified easily to suit your needs.

Couple of pics follow. I myself did a build of a Fairmile B which took part in the St Nazaire raids. You can view my model on the albums of this forum. The BBC used my model as a reference when Jeremy Clarkson did a documentary about the Raid.

Johnmtb plan  (1).jpg

Andy Barker
          Participant
            @andybarker11470

Hi John, nice looking model.

Would agree most things can be fixed with a bit more filler, however one has to weigh the cost of that amount of filler. lol. Super stucture apart, its the bulkheads that will need altering to allow where the slope on the hull is for torpedoes.

Just saved the plans so can have a look and see if I'm right about the forward bulk heads. If not then will have to sort something with Glynn to use his plans.

Will have a look at you album.

Andy

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)