What paint??

Advert

What paint??

Home Forums Beginners What paint??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Chris Fellows
    Participant
      @chrisfellows72943

Ray

Have you used the Toplac on any hulls that have had quite a bit of use on the water?

Chris

Advert
      Ray Wood 3
      Participant
        @raywood3

Hi Chris,

International Toplac is Premium Quality High Gloss Durable Yacht Enamel that's what it says on the tin, my stocks must be 10 years old from my sailing dinghy painting days and cost £24.78 for 750ml. But that would be enough for 50 Fairey models

As has been said before the amount of time a model is going to spend in the water is negligible really.

Regards Ray

Chris E
        Participant
          @chrise
          Posted by Ray Wood 2 on 14/06/2022 08:44:48:

Hi Chris,

International Toplac is Premium Quality High Gloss Durable Yacht Enamel that's what it says on the tin, my stocks must be 10 years old from my sailing dinghy painting days and cost £24.78 for 750ml. But that would be enough for 50 Fairey models

As has been said before the amount of time a model is going to spend in the water is negligible really.

Regards Ray

I wonder if the International Toplac that you buy today is the same as you purchased 10+ years ago?

Ray Wood 3
          Participant
            @raywood3

Hi Chris,

I would imagine so, just £35 a tin now, I'm sure it's all on the AKZO NOBEL website if anybody is that interested.

There are other makes of marine paint from such as Blakes I believe .

Regards Ray

Colin Bishop
              @colinbishop34627

I used it on my house around 5 years back and it seemed to be as effective as previously. It has to cope with a marine environment which is much harsher than the average domestic one.

Colin

Richard Simpson
              Participant
                @richardsimpson88330

We used International paint on many of the ships I have worked on, always been pretty good stuff. Designed for particularly harsh conditions.

Chris Fellows
                Participant
                  @chrisfellows72943

I was still just wondering as like the Craftmaster, Toplac is only recommended for above the waterline as both companies expect you to use something like anti-foul below the waterline, which I'm not. Will be using "Fairey blue or white" for there and parts of the superstructure.

Will be getting something soon, promise! Jet washing the drive today and then the patio.

Chris

Colin Bishop
                    @colinbishop34627

Above waterline in the marine environment. As has been said earlier in this thread, Toplac (or Craftmaster) will be more than adequate anywhere on the hull of a model boat unless you are in the habit of overwintering it on the garden pond…

Colin

Ray Wood 3
                    Participant
                      @raywood3

Hi Chris

I think Chris your referring to Craftsmaster Coach Enamel ? not too sure where the reference to Toplac has come from that is an International Paints Brand name, they also make antifouling paint for below the waterline.

I think any oil based paint will be waterproof.

Some of the acrylic white gloss's boast that they stay white, which is better than most of the white enamel paints I've ever used, as they do end up looking creamy

Good luck with the jet washing

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 14/06/2022 15:30:06

ashley needham
                      Participant
                        @ashleyneedham69188

I have stopped using oil paints for white. Acrylics every time. I re-painted the white on the Devastation a while ago as the old Humbrol enamel looked like magnolia in comparison with the acrylic white.

Ashley

Chris Fellows
                        Participant
                          @chrisfellows72943

Ray – I've been looking at Craftmaster and International Paints offerings. I already use the latter's Schooner Varnish. Just got to price up how much it's going to cost me for blue and white and the respective undercoats – quite a few quid I think!

Ashley – is it spray or brush acrylic? I fancy having a go at brush painting.

Richard – the finish you've got on your model in your magazine article is certainly impressive. Maybe too glossy for a Fairey!

Chris

Edited By Chris Fellows on 14/06/2022 23:45:42

ashley needham
                          Participant
                            @ashleyneedham69188

Chris. Brush Acrylics, craft paint rather than artists, as it is nice and smooth. Hobbycraft or Pebo (available from Hobbycraft).

I am not sure you can get a super smooth finish though, unlike using Humbrol, as the paint dries fairly quickly, but a wide soft brush helps. Depends how “good” a finish you want. Gloss varnish will make it look smart…Halfords or Hobbycraft do several craft “extra gloss” ones.

Ashley

Colin Bishop
                              @colinbishop34627

Acrylic tends to be soft and really needs protection. I have been using the Halfords matt and satin lacquers which you can spray over it soon after it is dry. I have been using Vallejo and Revel acrylics recently.

Matt

Satin

Colin

PS Don't use them over enamel!

Edited By Colin Bishop on 15/06/2022 09:32:16

Chris Fellows
                              Participant
                                @chrisfellows72943

Thanks chaps.

Stephen Garrad
                                Participant
                                  @stephengarrad28964

I use Toplac on my real narrowboat, its really good paint to use & I've not had any problems with it. If it was the colour I wanted I wouldn't hesitate to use it on a model. I've also use Craftmaster paint but the enamel Signwriting & Lining version. It comes in 125ml & 250ml tins so you don't need to buy gallons to get a good range (34) of colours. Because it is intended for signwriting it has a high opacity so gives good coverage & depth of colour in one coat. Very easy to use & gives a lovely gloss finish.

Edited By Stephen Garrad on 16/06/2022 23:18:20

Chris Fellows
                                  Participant
                                    @chrisfellows72943

Thanks Stephen. That's useful to know as with other paints you have to buy bigger tins which starts to get expensive.

Chris

ashley needham
                                    Participant
                                      @ashleyneedham69188

Having sprayed the paddle wheels on my ultimate boat, I wanted to varnish them, so I sprayed a test piece bit of wood, allowed it to dry and then applied spray varnish. No probs after 30mins.

You know what I am going to say…..the paint on the paddles however wrinkled up…curses curses!

Such is life.

Ashley

Stephen Garrad
                                      Participant
                                        @stephengarrad28964
                                        Posted by Chris Fellows on 17/06/2022 15:40:27:

Thanks Stephen. That's useful to know as with other paints you have to buy bigger tins which starts to get expensive.

Chris

Yes, 125ml or 250ml is a good size for modelling.

Stephen

Chris Fellows
                                        Participant
                                          @chrisfellows72943

After receiving colour charts from both Craftmaster and International Paints and giving it some more thought I'm going with the latter. Good job I got the colour charts because as suspected the colours when viewed online are in some cases nothing like!

International even sent me some bigger samples/swatches which are actually painted rather than printed so you can see the actual paint and the colour which is great. The white I was originally thinking of is miles off!

I've got one of Dave's Huntress prototypes to compare colours against which makes life easier. The blue they sent me isn't quite right, bit too dark for my liking, so I've asked them to send me another one, after which I shall get the paint ordered.

I'm going for the Toplac Plus as the Toplac is being phased out and supplier stock is variable, and their OneUP undercoats.

Chris

Chris Fellows
                                          Participant
                                            @chrisfellows72943

Cardboard box has just arrived with paint and thinners. As I've got at least 5 Faireys to paint I've gone for the 750ml tins rather than 375ml as more readily available and a better price pro-rota.

Oxford Blue is probably the closest to that used on many full-sized Faireys but it is a little dark for my liking on a model and so have gone for Sapphire Blue which is a shade lighter. Hopefully I haven't made a mistake!

Having said that there are posts and various views on the Fairey Owners Club forum about colours from which I don't think there is a definitive colour so I'm happy with going with what I like. For the white I'm going for Snow White.

Just need to get some of the recommended brushes and I can make a start.

Chris

Edited By Chris Fellows on 25/06/2022 11:49:10

Colin Bishop
                                              @colinbishop34627

Chris, I've just had an online look at Toplac and Sapphire Blue is definiely the one to go for.

I used Snow White on my hulls too.

Colin

Chris Fellows
                                              Participant
                                                @chrisfellows72943

Hi Colin

Looks right online doesn't it but must admit when I opened the box and saw the colour on the top of the tin I thought hmmmm! It looks lighter than on the colour chart I have as well but of course it won't have the requisite number of undercoats and top coats that will be applied to the models and is probably just painted straight onto the silver of the tin which lightens it.

I'll do a test beforehand and if I do need to go darker I'll get some Oxford which I very nearly did. I can always use the Sapphire as a first coat.

When decorating we always seem to have difficulty in getting the colours that we want and often they are quite a bit different to the colour charts.

Chris

Chris Fellows
                                                Participant
                                                  @chrisfellows72943

Next stage has been reached!

Chris

Brushes

Ray Wood 3
                                                  Participant
                                                    @raywood3

Hiya Chris,

Now you have all the gear, what lovely warm painting weather it is

Regards Ray

Chris Fellows
                                                    Participant
                                                      @chrisfellows72943

It's too hot Ray! smile d

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 60 total)