What paint??

Advert

What paint??

Home Forums Beginners What paint??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 51 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Grumps
    Participant
      @grumps

Further to my first post in May, I've now painted my granddaughter's Atlantis' hull. I opted for Halfords spray enamel. The attached pic shows it before the satin lacquer coat. Overall, I'm reasonably pleased with the result, though aerosols feel rather crude. I'll brush paint or properly spray my next project. The colour scheme looks a bit 'toytown', but she IS only five and a half (the half's important!). Incidentally, I discovered that isopropyl alcohol – which I've happily used as a degreaser over the years – dissolved Halford's spray enamel. Took me by surprise, as it's as good as Nitromors. You should have heard me laugh….Atlantis hull painted

Advert
      Ray Wood 3
      Participant
        @raywood3

Hi Paul,

That looks like a first class job, I'm a fan of picking out the waterline in white

Regards Ray

Richard Simpson
        Participant
          @richardsimpson88330

If you want a laugh Grumps, I once spent a lot of time and effort respraying a motorcycle tank. It was metallic green with a white edged panel line around the side. It took me ages to carefully mask both sides to get a perfect consistent line which I then painted in with Humbrol gloss white enamel.

I was so chuffed with the result, it looked just as good as the original, well to my very young and inexperienced eyes it did. I refitted it to the bike and went off for a ride on my new pride and joy. The first time I filled it with petrol I spilled a drop down one side then watched, open mouthed, as it simply washed away the white paint into a smear.

We live and learn.

By the way your hull looks spot on and perfect for your Granddaughter, who I'm sure is far more appreciative of a bright finish!

Kev.W
          Participant
            @kev-w

about colour

I will not be following the "it must be this colour " because everyone paints their Huntsman Blue & White

You will know when my Huntsman is on the pond, because, MY Huntsman will be a deep maroon & white.

Get 5 Fairy's on the pond, all in Blue & White, which is yours?

My boat is a different colour, so that I know which is mine.

Just because it is a different colour, does not mean it's wrong, it just means that Fairey may have

had a few cans of different coulered paint laying about & decided to give a boat or two, a different look. cheeky

Edited By Kev.W on 13/07/2022 18:22:41

Grumps
            Participant
              @grumps

Thanks for the kind words, Ray and Richard. I'm sure my granddaughter will complain it's not green…

The tale of the motorbike tank made me wince and smile in equal measure!!

Colin Bishop
                @colinbishop34627

When you look online at the full size boats you can see that many colour schemes have been adopted for Faireys over the years. and why not, you can paint your boat whatever colour you like.

However, the blue and whiite combination does suit the boats very well and tends to be the most common choice.

Colin

Chris Fellows
                Participant
                  @chrisfellows72943

Maroon and white should look nice as the maroon is a dark and classy colour. The model that does grate with me is the one painted in bright red and white which I come across now and then on the web. surprise

Chris

Grumps
                  Participant
                    @grumps

LED nav and cabin lightsdb4e283c-c11d-4b54-8c10-ba4dd78bb124.jpegA belated postscript. Granddaughter No.2's boat is now finished, with only fenders to hang on. The LED nav and cabin lights were a success. The MFA 385 motor running at 7.2 volts gives the old girl a fairly 'sedate' performance, which is about right for a novice 5 and a bit year old captain. I'll probably swop it for a 380 when she gets more experience. Granddaughter No.1 wants nav and cabin lights retrofitted to her Aeronaut Diva, so I've got that in dry dock at the moment. Next up is the scratch build of the 1/24th scale MTB.

Edited By Grumps on 10/01/2023 15:17:04

Edited By Grumps on 10/01/2023 15:22:53

Edited By Grumps on 10/01/2023 15:25:17

Anthony Stance
                    Participant
                      @anthonystance12355

Hi Chris rustoleum paint spray version is fantastic too restored many boats with this product available from all major diy stores. Ashley is 100% all modern acrylics are up to the job . As in anything preparation is the key as I'm sure your well aware. All the best Anthony

ashley needham
                      Participant
                        @ashleyneedham69188

Maroon and white is a classic combination, nice.

Ashley (not one to follow the crowd)

Viewing 10 posts - 51 through 60 (of 60 total)