New Website Forum – Discussion Topic

Advert

New Website Forum – Discussion Topic

Home Forums News and Feedback New Website Forum – Discussion Topic

• This topic has 175 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 1 week, 6 days ago by Len Morris 2.
Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 175 total)
  • Author
    Chris E
    Participant
      @chrise

Colin

It is just a reprint of the forthcoming issue notice that was in the previous magazine issue. Nothing like as good as what you did.

PS the problem with a page number being allocated with nothing on it until the next post is made is still there. When I was going to post this there was a page 5 shown which didn’t exist.

Advert
      Bob Wilson
      Participant
        @bobwilson59101

This comment is not confined to Model Boats, but goes across the whole Internet.   Why are website and forum designers so keen on using light grey lettering on a white background?    I can get round it here, as far as my own posts are concerned, by using the “Bold” facility, but hardly anyone else does!  I have become more aware of this as I have got older, and my eysight has faded a bit.    Some sites, I can hardly read at all!

Len Morris 2
        Participant
          @lenmorris2

Totally agree Bob.  The other issue is red and green lettering against coloured backgrounds.  Every so often I have to get my wife to read the text.

Len

Bob Wilson
          Participant
            @bobwilson59101

Thanks Len, I didm’t realise that so many others have noticed it –https://discourse.webflow.com/t/help-stamp-out-grey-text/38028

Chris Fellows
            Participant
              @chrisfellows72943

It’s better than it was. At least they are using pale grey and yellow backgrounds now. It was bright white before which was “painful” to read, especially once it got dark.

Colin Bishop
                @colinbishop34627

There were a lot of complaints about the original combination which has now been toned down a bit but the youngsters who design these things don’t understand the effects of aging on eyesight and take into account that most members of modelling forums are retired. Just like those companies who insist on complex phone systems when many of their customers are likely to be hard of hearing!

Colin

Richard Simpson
                Participant
                  @richardsimpson88330

I’ve come to the conclusion over recent years that the majority of the population, and politicians, see the older generation as not much more than an inconvenience.  Unless, of course, they are going to leave you some money, in which case the sooner they go the better.

Chris Fellows
                  Participant
                    @chrisfellows72943

Except for the National Trust and a lot of pubs at lunchtime!

Chris E
                    Participant
                      @chrise

I agree about the font here not being bthe best. The one on Mayhem is much better. This one is  very “light” in density.

Doing everything in bold should be unnecessary. The usual style over function I expect.

Chris E
                      Participant
                        @chrise
                        On Richard Simpson Said:

I’ve come to the conclusion over recent years that the majority of the population, and politicians, see the older generation as not much more than an inconvenience.  Unless, of course, they are going to leave you some money, in which case the sooner they go the better.

Worse – an expensive inconvenience.

Len Morris 2
                        Participant
                          @lenmorris2

Hi Colin,

Is there an alert on the new site for anybody who receives a PM?

Len

Colin Bishop
                            @colinbishop34627

Hi Len,

I’ve not directly tried it on here but when I logged into the ME site the other day I noticed that against the Messages title on the blue menu bar bar at the top of the page there it said Messages (2).

I’ve just sent you a test message.

I think you should also get an email by default. This can be set under Settings in your Profile.

Colin

Len Morris 2
                            Participant
                              @lenmorris2

Colin, yes got the PM because I did have a number against the messages title.  System works.

Len

Colin Bishop
                                @colinbishop34627

That’s nice to know!

Overall, despite some outstanding glitches, the Forum seems to be working pretty well with good response times. Putting up images in posts or Galleries is straightforward and better than the old complex Album system.

We still have to get used to all the little quirks that are likely to stay with us and the different screen layouts but that is par for the course.

Colin

Bob Wilson
                                Participant
                                  @bobwilson59101

I looked up “Mortons Media” out of curiosity. Maritime titles are conspicous by their absence Has interest finally “fizzled out” in the great scheme of things? – Not even a warship in sight – most unusual!

Len Morris 2
                                  Participant
                                    @lenmorris2

Hi Colin,

Having got used to the new site I think it works very well.  Getting rid of the old albums thing was a good move.  Uploading text and pictures is now easy, quick and pleasure to do.  Well done to you and all involved.

I finally worked out that ‘voices’ is the number of respondents to a thread.  The old site used to show ‘No of views’.  I found that a little more informative as it showed the general level of interest.  Just a very, very minor point.

Len

Colin Bishop
                                      @colinbishop34627

Hi Len,

The ME/MEW site is still struggling, mainly with speed issues. There are some very informative posts from yesterday and today about the problems, particularly the one from Darren Hendley at Mortons IT.

New forum problems

Colin

Len Morris 2
                                      Participant
                                        @lenmorris2

Had a look Colin.  Didn’t understand half of it, but what a nightmare and yes the site was very slow.  I think we should all count our blessings about our site at the moment.

Len

neil hp
                                        Participant
                                          @neilhp

COULD SOMEONE PLEASE, put on a step by step instruction or link to one for A] putting on a new photo avatar and b] a link to how to start new photo l;ibraries  for my builds…………

I HAVE TRIED but unsuccesfully and why i havent been posting…….memory and brain is mush at the moment and my patience is wearing thin.

Thank you all, as i am missing posting.

Colin Bishop
                                            @colinbishop34627

Neil,

From the Help Section:

Adding/Editing an Avatar

Go to My Profile>Profile>Change Profile/Cover Image. You can drag and drop an image onto this page, crop and save your new Profile Photo.

(Its best to use a smallish image size when doing this). The crop tool to frame the image is a bit fiddly but you can play around with it and keep editing until you get what you want.

Adding and Album/Gallery of your builds

Go to My Profile and click on ‘Gallery’, from there you can create and edit your galleries. Please note that images with an apostrophe in the filename won’t upload.

( I would recommend upolading images at around desktop resolution or around 500kb. It is actually vety easy to create a gallery, much better than previously.)

Get back to us if you get stuck.

Colin

Richard Simpson
                                            Participant
                                              @richardsimpson88330

And we’ve missed your posting Neil.

neil hp
                                              Participant
                                                @neilhp

thanks guys………………i’ll have a bash over the weekend with my daughter watching over my shoulder lol. she’s the genious, lol.

James Hill 5
                                                Participant
                                                  @jameshill5

Can I add a bit to Neils post please.

I’ve looked at Colins directions and I think I can follow them. My question is, how do you get the picture to 500Kb? I’m afraid that sort of information eludes someone like me who’s not computer savvy. I can post pictures at the suggested 800×600 format but Iget stuck with this 500Kb bit.

Many thanks.

Jim.

Colin Bishop
                                                    @colinbishop34627

800×600 is fine James. It’s just another way of describing the size.

Colin

Ray Wood 3
                                                    Participant
                                                      @raywood3

Hi All,

One or two of my friends in the “circle of trust” are having issues logging in at the moment, I have emailed Colin to see if he can sort it out for them 🙂

Happy Christmas folks

Ray

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 175 total)