New Website Forum – Discussion Topic

Advert

New Website Forum – Discussion Topic

Home Forums News and Feedback New Website Forum – Discussion Topic

• This topic has 175 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 1 week, 6 days ago by Len Morris 2.
Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 175 total)
  • Author
    Chris E
    Participant
      @chrise

Minor but to add to list.

When I open this thread it offers me 3 pages when in fact there are only 2. Clicking on 3 just takes me to a posting box.

Edit: Now this post has started a real page 3 clicking 3 works fine. Something to do with a nearly full page 2?

Advert
      Colin Bishop
        @colinbishop34627

Yes Chris, yet another quirk that has already been flagged up. My previous post was the last on page 2 and the system automatically brings forward an empty posting box on the next page rather than at the foot of the post. It might be a pagination setting of some kind but it is on the ‘to look at’ list.

Andy the Webmaster has racked up two week’s worth of overtime during the transition and has been told he has to take it as leave from next week. He and Darren are spending this week trying to tackle the most urgent outstanding issues.

The ME Forum is throwing up the most problems, we seem to be getting off relatively lightly. I think you will find that you are automatically a member of the ME forum as apparently we all have ‘dual nationality’ – another questionable facility unless they have stopped it. However you might try to click on Model Engineer at the top of the page and see if it lets you in. If so then have a look at the corresponding topic to this one over there which demonstrates the issues they are experiencing.

Colin

Chris E
        Participant
          @chrise

Interesting.

If I do as you suggest & press the top button for “model engineer” it indeed takes me over there but not logged in. My password etc is vaild there if I input it so yes we have dual membership.

I don’t doubt that Andy & Darren have worked long & hard on this & I hope that a rest from it will do Andy good. It is certainly much improved from when it first became live.

Richard Simpson
          Participant
            @richardsimpson88330

Yep, been over to the ME forum and just had to sign in with my existing details.

The Long Build
            Participant
              @thelongbuild

On the front page of the Forum at the bottom you have  4 sections for topics etc, however there are only actually 2 as the others are duplicates

“Newest Forum Topics” is the same as “Newest Topics”

Then there is the ” Active Topics ” Twice.

Would be better if you had just latest’s posts and maybe Active topics.

Colin Bishop
                @colinbishop34627
                On The Long Build Said:

On the front page of the Forum at the bottom you have  4 sections for topics etc, however there are only actually 2 as the others are duplicates

“Newest Forum Topics” is the same as “Newest Topics”

Then there is the ” Active Topics ” Twice.

Would be better if you had just latest’s posts and maybe Active topics.

Yes, this is a temporary parking arrangement as there are issues associated with these headings which are affecting forum performance. Its also bound up with the need for a proper ‘latest posts’ facility which requires a plugin and is not prioritised at the moment while other reported issues are fixed.

Colin

Chris E
                Participant
                  @chrise

Probably already on the list but is it intended that the “Latest Activity” (Newest Topics & Active Topics) only appear if you are logged in. 2 grabs attached first not logged in & second logged in.

I used to compose posts in a word processor & copy & paste onto forum posting space but I no longer seem able to do so. Is there a way to do so (yet???)?

Not logged inlogged in

Colin Bishop
                    @colinbishop34627

Test posting to see if I can copy and paste from MS Word into posting box.

Yes, seems to work for me…

Colin

Colin Bishop
                      @colinbishop34627

Probably already on the list but is it intended that the “Latest Activity” (Newest Topics & Active Topics) only appear if you are logged in. 2 grabs attached first not logged in & second logged in.

I don’t know Chris, as it is all a work in progress at the moment we will have to wait to see I think. I will flag it up anyway.

Colin

Chris E
                      Participant
                        @chrise
                        On Colin Bishop Said:

Colin

I don’t even have paste as an option. I have tried Firefox, Brave & Mullvad browsers. None work.

Colin Bishop
                          @colinbishop34627

Chris I just highlight the text and use CTRL+C and CTRL+V

Using home PC.

Colin

Chris E
                          Participant
                            @chrise

That works. Thank you.

I don’t think that my browsers recognise the space as somewhere to paste anything. When it is 3 browsers it suggests a problem.

David Marks 2
                            Participant
                              @davidmarks2

The previous site had a Latest Posts facility which I found very useful, but unless I have missed something this site doesn’t.

Colin Bishop
                                @colinbishop34627

David, see posts on this subject on page 2.

Colin

Colin Bishop
                                  @colinbishop34627
                                  On Chris E Said:

That works. Thank you.

I don’t think that my browsers recognise the space as somewhere to paste anything. When it is 3 browsers it suggests a problem.

Chris,

I have tried doing this on two other forums using the menu option. The paste function works on one but not on the other. Another one to flag up…

Colin Bishop
                                    @colinbishop34627

Chris, Just realised that the forum that didn’t offer the Paste option in the menu was using the short editor. When I switched to the full editor it did appear and worked. Choice of Editor here has been a bit tricky due to various issues. I have flagged it up anyway.

David Marks 2
                                    Participant
                                      @davidmarks2
                                      On Colin Bishop Said:

David, see posts on this subject on page 2.

Colin

Found it  – Thank you

Colin Bishop
                                        @colinbishop34627

Answer from Webmaster to Chris E’s cut and paste question:

This is the TinyMCE (editor box) context menu that loads, it’s not something we have direct control over but I’ll investigate something to disable it in the future.

Colin Bishop
                                          @colinbishop34627

Answer from Webmaster to comments about poor page layout.:

We need to find a way to monetise the sites, this wasn’t done to it’s full extent before and the sites have had a lot spent on them.

These are inline with the ad zones on our other sites.

Colin Bishop
                                            @colinbishop34627

Answer from Webmaster re access to New and Active topics:

They are set to logged in only to reduce the load on the server. We’ll review this once we have everything stable.

JasonB
                                            Participant
                                              @jasonb
                                              On Chris E Said:
                                              On Colin Bishop Said:

Colin

I don’t even have paste as an option. I have tried Firefox, Brave & Mullvad browsers. None work.

Ctrl + V is an alternative to paste but not ideal.

Colin Bishop
                                                @colinbishop34627

Actually I always use  Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V as a a default rather than using the menu option. It’s quick.

But it seems the Editor in this instance doesn’t support the menu paste so just something else to adapt to.

Colin

Chris E
                                                Participant
                                                  @chrise

Colin

I don’t know what this means but I frequently get a message “The Connection has Timed Out” when I try to join the forum. If I click the “Try Again” button it connects normally. This doesn’t happen with other web sites.

Colin Bishop
                                                    @colinbishop34627

Not seen that reported Chris, is it anything to do with you removing cookies at the end of each session do you think?

There is a meeting at Mortons tomorrow to review the position. I will report back when I hear the outcome.

Chris E
                                                    Participant
                                                      @chrise

I don’t know as I am not sure what causes the message.It might be due to me removing cookies when the browser is closed but it is a problem peculiar to this website and doesn’t happen every time I come to the site after closing & then reopening the browser. I would say around 50% of the time.

I also note that we still have the problem of the end of page 3 giving a reply box as the new page 4.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 175 total)