Model Railways

Advert

Model Railways

Home Forums Soapbox Model Railways

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    gecon
    Participant
      @gecon

Thanks Richard,

illumination is in fact ready to go into all buildings! The first set of lights which I acquired for the Fisher proved to be too large for the Yacht, and I bought some smaller grain of wheat bulbs. So the original Fisher LEDS are going to be utilised. All courtesy of IKEA!

One of the buildings came with black-out card, the others have so for been taped at the joins with black electrical tape. I'll paint over the LEDS with red (as in the Fisher) or orange paint to reduce the intesity. If that doesn¨t work, I'll try your black paint tip, many thanks. Our sitting room walls used too be black so I've got some left overs in the cellar!thumbs up

George

Advert
      Ray Wood 3
      Participant
        @raywood3

locos nov 21.jpgHi George,

Railway modelling really suits this time of year I find, staying in the warm and running a few trains is great. Had you thought about a branch line off your circuit to a small station ?

Here is a small selection of my locomotives collection,piper & 109 nov 21.jpg 4mm scale 00 on my garage/workshop line, been building a Piper Cherokee for a change while I wait for some sails to arrive from Frank at Nylet for my Silhouette cruiser.

Kind Regards Ray

gecon
        Participant
          @gecon

20211112_120607.jpg20211112_120538.jpgHi Ray,

flew the Cherokee 140 for about 200hrs at the Oxford Ait Training School ca.1972! Brings back fond memories of when I was young and keen!

My layout will only be 'permitted' for the festive season! Luckily though, we usually put up the tree on 01. Dec. so I have from 28th.11 to about 06th jan. smiley

Yes indeed, branch line and small station planned. At very the end of the branch line there will be a small timber yard.

Will try to post proof here….

George

Edited By gecon on 12/11/2021 12:26:08

Richard Simpson
          Participant
            @richardsimpson88330

What a brilliant idea and it keeps the tree looking good for the whole time. We just put presents around ours so it looks a little sparse after Christmas day.

gecon
            Participant
              @gecon

It's debateable in this engine shed whether or not I'll be adding anything to the look of the tree, presents or no presentsgift. Never-the-less, the usual array of photographic evidence will be displayed here in due course. There's still a lot of detail to be added before the 1st sunday in Advent.

George

gecon
              Participant
                @gecon

20211113_165628.jpgTimber yard at the end of the siding. Closed at night so not illuminated! took me all day today (10.00 -17.00) to drill all the holes for the LEDs. Some had to be repositioned as the available cable didn't reach between the previously drilled holes! Leaking light will be remedied with black tape, paint etc. More shovelled snow will be produced during next week I expect. The bright blob of red-orange light at right centre will be a faux bonfire.

George 20211113_165528.jpg

Edited By gecon on 13/11/2021 16:40:56

Richard Simpson
                Participant
                  @richardsimpson88330

I think the freshly ploughed snow at the side of the tracks looks really effective.

gecon
                  Participant
                    @gecon

Snow man between the two large bonfires getting worried about doing a disappearing act in the heat. I should probably dare to add snow between the sleepers but the track is to be used on a Springtime project starting in about feb/march and I don't want the hassel of fiddly snow-clearing. The Xmas tree will go into the slightly off-centre hole in 9 day's time and most of the layout will be covered I suspect. Someone in the flat says that'll be just fine. George20211118_084312.jpg20211118_084716.jpg

James Hill 5
                    Participant
                      @jameshill5

img_7390fs.jpg4763fs.jpg4722fs.jpgp1040408fs.jpgHi,

Having had a long interest in railway modelling it was good to see some pictures of other people`s modelling., My first encounter with the hobby was in the late 1940`s when I saw a family friends tinplate ( probably O gauge ) layout on their drive outside. The noise when it ran was something I always remember.

There are some nice pictures on here. I thought the bonfires on the snow scene very effective.I have to agree that that is a great winter scene.

Like Richard, I`ve done a bit of weathering as well on some of my locos, but not all of them yet.

I have a layout based loosely on Camden shed (1B ) but it`s a fair way from completion. A couple of pictures of locos. The blue Duchess is 90% scratchbuilt in Nicklel Silver and brass. The streamline Duchess is a much modified Eames kit and is now works grey. The O gauge tender is part of a DJH Black Five kit.

Now I know there are others with a railway interest I `ll keep looking

Regards,

Jim.p1040418fs.jpg

Ray Wood 3
                      Participant
                        @raywood3

img_20190913_173941.jpgHi Jim,

Very handsome engines, I never really tried scratch building 4mm or 7mm scale but maybe in the future !! this was my first 3 1/2" gauge Tich to the LBSC design 55 years old now, perhaps needs a refurbishment now

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 18/11/2021 16:37:29

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 18/11/2021 16:40:46

James Hill 5
                        Participant
                          @jameshill5

Hi Ray,

My dad started to build a 5" gauge GWR 0 6 0 tank called Speedy if I remember correctly' He got as far as a rolling chassis but then moved house and had to sell it as he had nowhere to be able to carry on with it. A great shame , as it would have been a nice model

I don`t know about you , but there`s something about working with metal.. Is Tich a runner?

Jim

ashley needham
                          Participant
                            @ashleyneedham69188

George. That’s a truly great little layout. Great snow and use thereof. Easily adapted for year round use with a central insert (volcano perhaps).

I has inspired me to think about doing something similar, although MUCH simplified for our tree, using the Christmas cheap battery powered sets I have.

I know they are horrible and nasty but these cheap Christmas sets take me back to being a small boy again and seeing them run under the tree makes me all nostalgic.

Ashley

ashley needham
                            Participant
                              @ashleyneedham69188

I have just showed that to the mrs and even she thinks it’s great! (But wouldn’t have one here…..)

Ashley.

Richard Simpson
                              Participant
                                @richardsimpson88330

Even Hornby are on the bandwagon this year and, I must admit, 65 quid for an operational train set isn't too bad going!

Santa's Train

gecon
                                Participant
                                  @gecon

Hi Ashley, I have in fact kept the wood and foam board from 'the hole' so I can add a hill and ski resort when the tree goes back to the celler store. The problem is that the layout can not thumbs downremain on the sitting room floor when the tree has gone.

A volcano? mmm, the base for the foot of the tree could easily be disquised as a mountainside, or maybe just add a volcano ridge around the edge of the hole, but how do I explain the presence of all that snow surrounding the foot of a volcano?

I do of course have a plan for the future, but I won't bore members with that now.

George

gecon
                                  Participant
                                    @gecon

20211124_163134.jpg20211124_163147.jpg20211124_163309.jpgYou'll all be glad to read that this will be the last entry in relation to the Xmas round-the-tree thingy.

The two digital locomotives are working nicely and Santa is visiting the nativity -a month too early! Couldn¨t find three wise men in Norway (not surprising) so found two angels to do their thing.20211124_163602.jpg

. A steam loco is on it's way from the EU so hope it's here by Xmas.

When the hole thing is under the tree I'll probably post a pic…if the layout is visible.

George

Richard Simpson
                                    Participant
                                      @richardsimpson88330

Brilliant, I don't know why your missus doesn't want it all year round!

Tony Hadley
                                      Participant
                                        @tonyhadley

George,

Your layout is superb.

I also can only get the set out at Christmas, it is one of the Hornby sets for running around the Christmas tree which Richard Simpson mentioned earlier. The track ballast is white hardboard. Mine is an older version as the track supplied was a circle, with the modern sets it's an oval.

The Lego buildings are sometimes used and at other times the Dapol General Store plastic kit.. It also gives a chance for my little industrial Caledonian locomotive to have a run before it all gets packed away after the festivities. Just don't have room for a permanent layout and it's good Christmas "fun".

santas express (2).jpg

santas express (5).jpg

santas express (7).jpg

caledonian railways (5e).jpg

gecon
                                        Participant
                                          @gecon

Hi Tony,

Many thanks, your layout would meet with more approval than mine in my home!

Yours is a bit more in keeping with the idea of an "Xmas decoration". My layout has dominated the diningroom table for a month now. The Xmas tree will be in place by Sunday evening, then the layout will be at floor level and partially obscured by branches and dingle-dangles -which will make it more acceptable to the admiralty.

The shops and garden centres in Norway seem to be full of ready made winter-scenes this year, with lights, whistles & bells and snow-slopes all over the place. This has helped me to get an "almost-approval" for the train layout !

George

gecon
                                          Participant
                                            @gecon

20211129_123959.jpg20211129_123933.jpgI've been hogging space for more than my share, so this will be the last of offerings from my first (and last) attempt at a Christmas layout. The whole show cost about 4 times more than planned, but that's my own fault for getting carried away while ordering items on the net.

There's a Fleischmann steam locomotive and two coaches on the way too, and they will be the last additions. Another layout is being planned -using the same rolling stock- to fill the space after the Colin archer is launched in about 4 months from now.

Xmas dolls have always been at the foot of our tree, hence the extra 'adornment'.

George

20211129_123908.jpg

Edited By gecon on 29/11/2021 12:03:06

ashley needham
                                            Participant
                                              @ashleyneedham69188

Whats this George, a bit of under-grass heating for the sheep field??? Ashley

gecon
                                              Participant
                                                @gecon

I've been waiting for you Ashley wink,

Just happened to be underground hot springs at the edge of the track. thumbs up

George

gecon
                                                Participant
                                                  @gecon

A class 78 (BR78) tank loco and two passenger coaches from the same era, have arrived on the layout. The price of these little gems makes me bit nervous. The cost/cm of a loco20211207_132934.jpg is probably similar to constructing dual carriageway in the suburbs! This is deffinately the end of this railway extravaganza for a good while. So it's back to soldering wires and plugs in the depths of the Colin Archer.

Maybe the deck plate will be on by Xmas so the planking can start.

George

Ray Wood 3
                                                  Participant
                                                    @raywood3

Hi All,

For the railway enthusiasts, January issue of Railway Modeller magazine has a free photographic back scene similar to this one that I just paid £7.99, what a bargain

George, your steamer looks a treat, you could put this scene behind your rm backscene.jpgChristmas tree ?

I don't think Mytime Media will mind this plug as they don't have a model railway title

Regards Ray

gecon
                                                    Participant
                                                      @gecon

Very nice background Ray! Train ditto! Funny you should mention this right now! Together with the steam loco I recieved a ….yes …background. It's Faller 180518 and not unlike yours. (but ca. £23) 20211212_115803.jpg

Don't have space for a backgroung on the Xmas layout due to the sittingroom window going almost down to the floor! Do have some natural distant background though. Planning to set up a layout in the store room when the Colin Archer is launched. The new background will go on the wall of course.

Present 'background'… below

George

20211212_115519.jpg

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 80 total)