Model Railways

Advert

Model Railways

Home Forums Soapbox Model Railways

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    The Long Build
    Participant
      @thelongbuild
      Posted by Bob Abell on 29/09/2021 13:11:57:

Continuing my post concerning Geoff Abell`s Model Trains hobby

Following on from his loft layout, he later got very interested in Loco`s built from Lego blocks.

A few of his original builds are enclosed, some represent the locos at Porthmadoc

He also involved himself iwith the West Highland Railway activities in North Wales, Porthmadoc to Caernarfon

Being a Chartered Engineer, he was also involved in the design of the Loco`s construction and got involved with actually meeting the retired owners of Beyer Peacocks of Gorton Manchester to discuss Loco design.I think Peacocks were the builders of the original narrow gauge loco`s

Sadly, Geoff passed away, a few years ago

Bob

8062664356_6c66776620_b.jpg

8062662860_96ca829f24_b.jpg

6803206440_b0702c9252_b.jpg

Amazing Models, If Geoff was still with us I would have recommended he submitted them to Lego , if they had taken it up he would have received a few pennies.. Lego Rocks..

Advert
      Bob Abell 2
      Participant
        @bobabell2

Thank you Larry

More info on Geoff`s Lego activities

A photo of David Lloyd George model

Bob

red engine cropped.jpg

Bob Abell 2
        Participant
          @bobabell2

Something of further interest……

Geoff created this model of the Fairlies Patent

The original loco was built for Penrhyn Quarries and one of the conditions of sale was that the loco had to haul 99 loaded wagons up a certain incline in North Wales

Geoff asked me to contrive a photo of the event using PhotoShop trickery…..Not bad?

Bob

fairlie patent loco.jpg

Richard Simpson
          Participant
            @richardsimpson88330

Not bad?!! Its a great picture Bob!

Interesting subject and narrow gauge is an area of model railways that I find particularly interesting. This required me to do a little research and was amazed at what I came up with. During the First World War narrow gauge railways were used in the field to transport, mainly munitions, but also soldiers, stores and the wounded. The tracks were simply laid in the fields with the minimum of ballast to enable quick and easy track laying and moving.

After the war all this locomotive stock and railway track was up for grabs so a lot of it ended up being bought for agricultural use in Fenland areas. Such a buyer was Smith's crisps who had a large potato farm only a couple of miles away from where I live. The railway was used to bring in the crop to a central shed where it was transshipped to a normal gauge railway. Most of the locomotives for these type of railways were small light petrol driven units such as produced by Simplex.

I would like to have a small section on my own railway of a narrow gauge agricultural railway and so have had a play with a part scratch built, part 3D printed example of a locomotive to go on the layout at some point in the distant future. I had to have mine permanently attached to a wagon so I could get the DCC decoder in it somewhere!

13-09-19-01layoutsimplexbuild1.jpg

21-09-19-15layoutsimplexbuild14.jpg

03-10-19-02layoutsimplexbuild25.jpg

29-10-19-01layoutsimplexbuild27.jpg

14-12-19-01layoutsimplexbuild33.jpg

Edited By Richard Simpson on 30/09/2021 09:20:26

Bob Abell 2
            Participant
              @bobabell2

Hi Richard, thank you for your interesting comments and pictures, There`s something awesome, seeing the WW1 equipment, with actual battle damage? It makes me stop and think about those awful times

3d printing is the way to go alright, although I was an AutoCad draffie for twenty years, I could have gotten into the subject quite easily, had I`d known about it at the time

Definitely a missed opportunity

Bob

gecon
              Participant
                @gecon

20211011_165215.jpgjt fot placed off-centre 60-40.jpgAs mentioned earlier, I have been inspired by these posts on train layouts. I have managed -but only just- to get the OK for a small Christmas theme layout placed below -and surrounding the base- of out plastic Xmas tree. I needed a break from the Colin Archer build and have designed a simple basic layout which will feature freight wagons loaded with tiny Xmas presants and maybe some Liquorice Allsorts or other high coloured goodies.

A pinewood bord covered with foambord has been designed around the rattan base of our Xmas tree. Spray-on snow will be added together with two small goods sheds and the obligitory village church.

Not big deal I know, but I must admit that I'm looking forward to Christmas already! We often set up the tree in early December to brighten up the long, dark winter days so this year I'm planning for VERY early December )

A digital N-gauge Fleischmann goods train set has been bought in for the occasion. Only beacause it was all I could find in stock under £300!

Only got a couple of basic photos for the moment. It won't look like much until the tree is in place above the whole show in about 7 weeks.  Merry Xmasgift!

George

Edited By gecon on 12/10/2021 19:41:22

Colin Bishop
                  @colinbishop34627

I think a lot of the WW1 military narrow gauge track ended up with UK narrow gauge railways. There are actually a lot of them around the UK such as Ravenglass, Ronmey, Hythe & Dymchurch and the Welsh lines. I'm not sure how many of these benefited from the WW1 surplus though but Mrs B and I have very much enjoyed our various trips on them around England.

There is a novel about the use of these narrow gauge lines in WW1 which is worth a read.

**LINK**

Colin

The Long Build
                  Participant
                    @thelongbuild

What did you think of Rod Stewart,s layout ?.

I Still have the Zero 1, at the time being able to have 2 trains going in the opposite direction was fun..

Richard Simpson
                    Participant
                      @richardsimpson88330
                      Posted by The Long Build on 12/10/2021 20:37:19:

What did you think of Rod Stewart,s layout ?.

I Still have the Zero 1, at the time being able to have 2 trains going in the opposite direction was fun..

I tend to think of Rod Stewart's in pretty much the same way as Pete Waterman's, they tend to lack in modelling skills and over compensate with money. They are both amazing layouts but close inspection reveals a lack of attention to detail and modelling skill. They tend to rely on sheer size to impress and, to be honest, I would far rather look at a layout that is only 4 foot long which contains beautiful modelling skills, creativity and innovative ideas than be bewildered by a 60 foot layout with gaps at the bottom of buildings.

Empire Parkstone
                      Participant
                        @empireparkstone

Aye but he gave 10K to the club that was trashed by Vandals

Richard Simpson
                        Participant
                          @richardsimpson88330

Agreed but the question was what do we think of Rod Stewart's layout.

Empire Parkstone
                          Participant
                            @empireparkstone

By all means comment on the layout but the remark about people having money is no more relevant to your question than mine is.

Ray Wood 3
                            Participant
                              @raywood3

Hi All,

Railway modelling is really lucky to have these show business personality's involved with the hobby, which I think maybe the second largest hobby second only to Fishing which has the largest number of participants. I thought the Railway Modeller magazines coverage of Rod Stuarts and Jules Hollands layouts were excellent, Roger Daltrey and Pete Waterman are well known for their enthusiasm. So many titles of magazines is great, with PECO and Hornby being major players helps, with a new TV show about Hornby on Yesterday channel on Monday nights

Do we know anybody famous who plays with model boats ??

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 13/10/2021 11:26:25

Richard Simpson
                              Participant
                                @richardsimpson88330
                                Posted by Empire Parkstone on 13/10/2021 11:03:24:

By all means comment on the layout but the remark about people having money is no more relevant to your question than mine is.

Yes it is, my comment had nothing to do with people having money. From my perspective Rod Stewart's layout is a display of money rather than a display of modelling skill so is particularly pertinent to my personal impression of it.

While there is no-one that would say that the donation to the Market Deeping Model Railway Club was not incredibly generous it would not seem to be relevant to Rod Stewart's own layout.

Edited By Richard Simpson on 13/10/2021 13:08:26

Empire Parkstone
                                Participant
                                  @empireparkstone

I would disagree but its not worth bothering about

Colin Bishop
                                    @colinbishop34627

Leave it there please.

Colin

Richard Simpson
                                    Participant
                                      @richardsimpson88330

As I started this thread to give members an opportunity to share model railway topics perhaps we can get it back on track. Pun of course intended.

These are a couple of my first practise sessions at weathering rolling stock. They leave a lot to be desired but I learned a lot from them. The locomotives are all 'dumb' by either having no motor or simply being disconnected and while the models are pretty basic they provide a perfect subject to practise weathering techniques on. They will then be used on the layout as purely decorative items around things like sheds etc.

20-10-17-03mineralwaggonweathering3.jpg

21-05-18-02hornbyb12weatheringexercise2.jpg

21-05-18-09bachmannv2weatheringexercise4.jpg

03-09-18-01railwayweatheredcheshire1.jpg

Colin Bishop
                                        @colinbishop34627

I like the 3650 loco. Very realistic.

Colin

Richard Simpson
                                        Participant
                                          @richardsimpson88330

Thanks Colin. I need to pluck up the courage to have a go at a coach next, that's a whole different set of techniques.

neil hp
                                          Participant
                                            @neilhp

i could look at your work all day, Richard…….and wonder in awe at your incredible realism as to how you can get such finishes to your set ups…….

i love them, and always have loved model railways. and yet know that i could never produce anything but a basic layout.

there used to be a show at Fleetwood of railway modelling, and i always used to enjoy going, and yet would always come away, saddened and disappointed knowing that although i would have loved to have diversified one day from boating i could never achieve what those modellers, and people like yourself produce……

and come to realise that i do know my limits and just resort to looking and viewing the workmanship of those who do know their business.

your railway models are just sublime.

Richard Simpson
                                            Participant
                                              @richardsimpson88330

Very kind of you to say so Neil, thank you. I don't think what I do is any different to anyone else though, I still look at other peoples work in magazines and at shows and wish I could achieve that level. I always maintain that we are all at some point on a learning curve and all striving to go that little bit further up it as our experience broadens.

I think the great thing with model railways is that you can make anything you like at any size you like and produce something to be happy with. The last thing I did with the railway, before getting distracted by the steam boat, was to convert a diesel shunter from a modern version into a prototype that was around in LNER days. It became a project in its own right with kit bashing and a paint and weathering job and I could quite happily put it on a little base on its own.

This one was a competition entry which I did around a year ago and took a couple of months to put together. I was really pleased with it but it didn't get a mention so not everyone saw it the same way! It is only about 8 inches square so just an enjoyable little project to provide a quick fix when the bigger stuff is getting bogged down.

p1070462.jpg

p1070473.jpg

p1070474.jpg

p1070476.jpg

img_1849.jpg

p1070500.jpg

Ray Wood 3
                                              Participant
                                                @raywood3

Hi Richard

A nice looking diorama, where would we be without the Airfix/Dapol range of lineside kits ?? The travelling crane is a classic, I still have one in it's original plastic bag

Your saddle tank doesn't get much of a run though !!

Regards Ray

Richard Simpson
                                                Participant
                                                  @richardsimpson88330

The trick with the crane was to modify it to fit the cobbled track! Then it was fitted with a whole new set of more credible pulleys and lifting gear, new handrails, a wooden platform and a figure. The criteria of the competition was that you were only allowed to use a 100mm piece of track so I got creative and used the plastic moulding crane base to extend it. The saddle tank actually belongs in the gasworks but it was 'borrowed' for this.

I agree a lot of the old Airfix kits still have life left in them with a bit of creativity. I've got another crane for the dry dock!

gecon
                                                  Participant
                                                    @gecon

20211108_211532.jpg20211108_211514.jpgMy poxy efforts hardly warrant the space here, but I need to say something to someone…laugh.. unfortunately it's you guys!

I am trying to work out a not-too-complex winter theme. I won't put too much effort into it, it has to be dismantled by 06.01.22! We usually decorate the tree on 1st Advent ie. 28th Nov for this year -just to lighten up the dark afternoons over here. The train layout needs to be ready by then and placed under the tree.

Been constructing the few buildings planned for the set. Some kits are still in the post. Just another log cabin and a small timber yard to go.

Photo of buildings will arrive here soon.

George

Edited By gecon on 09/11/2021 09:23:39

Richard Simpson
                                                    Participant
                                                      @richardsimpson88330

George no-one ever needs to put themselves down when it comes to modelling, just enjoy doing it that's all that matters.

Your buildings look great and very festive, are you going to put lights in them? Strings of Christmas LEDs nowadays are so ridiculously cheap and easy to use and available is all sorts of lengths. If you do, remember to paint the insides of the buildings black otherwise the light will show through the walls and spoil the effect. A coat of thick black paint will block it.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 80 total)