Model Railways

Advert

Model Railways

Home Forums Soapbox Model Railways

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Richard Simpson
    Participant
      @richardsimpson88330

As I suggested on another thread it might be nice to see member's model railways I thought I would start the ball rolling with a couple of my own. Hopefully this might tempt some others to follow suit:

16-02-19-11layoutj15j94scopwicksignalbox2.jpg

18-04-19-12layoutnwgladiatorupgrade12.jpg

30-04-20-10layouttractionenginetrain4.jpg

p1070569.jpg

p1070575.jpg

Advert
      Richard Simpson
      Participant
        @richardsimpson88330
        ashley needham
        Participant
          @ashleyneedham69188

Richard. Very nice indeed, lovely detail (which is what train layouts are all about).

Alas my collection is mostly “O” gauge and not permanently set up. I will contribute however when I next get down the shed with the iPad to take some snaps!

Thinking about it, I could empty the big LCT and put some track and rolling stock in it to become a train-transporter?.

Ashley

Colin Bishop
            @colinbishop34627

I always enjoy looking at model railway layouts in any scale, particularly when they incorprate rolling stock I used to be familiar with.

I also like travelling on the various heritage railways around the UK, steam or otherwise. Over the years we have been on the Bluebell Line, Isle of Wight Steam Railway, Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway, Dartmouth Steam Railway, various North Wales Railways, Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway and the Swanage Railway.The latter has locomotives that I used to trainspot back in the 1960s passing through Surbiton hauling classic trains, such as the Atlantic Coast Express, the Cunarder and the Ocean Liner Express. Great memories.

Abroad we have travelled on quite a few trains of which the Greek Diakopto–Kalavryta railway in th Peloponnese was one of the most spectacular along with the Norwegian Flam Railway.

There was also an interesting railway high up in the Pyrenees with spectacular views.

As an aside there are quite a few subterranean railways which take you into cave systems in various parts of Europe. You usually need to keep you head well down though!

Colin

Edited By Colin Bishop on 25/07/2021 19:15:58

ashley needham
            Participant
              @ashleyneedham69188

Snaps of some of my O gauge stuff.

First is a little A.Wells train cheap (at the time) set . Only a mean circle of track, one small train, tender and carriage (clockwork of course). Accessorised with a tunnel, station and signal box. Notice how delightfully scale they all are. Some boy would no doubt have thrilled to get just the little train set and played with it for hours?

Other boxes, part of my stash. Nothing expensive, very few items in “as new” condition.

Box , one of four, of track. It has been re-plated in bright tin, totally destroying its value to a collector but looking jolly smart. I once thought track was hard to come by and for years this stopped me buying O gauge trains,but no, the island is awash with it. Very little in good condition of course. I bought all my Hornby track off e-bay years ago for £100, and went in the Corsa with Berengar to Ruislip to get it, and it filled the car, literally…full to the brim. berengar was sitting on it, holding it, it was stuffed under the seats…pre and post war track, connector clips, points, three rail…

Sold the three rail stuff, chucked quite a bit away as it was too rusty or bent to be salvageable.

You can see why oo gauge became the tops though, as I have to completely clear the front room to put any sort of layout down!

Ashley

46ef58ca-cc21-4316-819d-a23c23995f59.jpeg

64e8eb15-e642-4226-b14f-d4066d6db3c8.jpeg

59f339b6-1b16-4ceb-ac89-d4ac63f72dd2.jpeg

ca2633cd-9852-46c6-94f2-7eb0bf7787c3.jpeg

34159f50-3e5a-4d8d-bb56-24511d88825e.jpeg

Richard Simpson
              Participant
                @richardsimpson88330

Reminds me of my Triang Hornby clockwork set that I had as a kid. My Dad sold it when I went to college, something I never quite forgave him for!

Some lovely stuff there Ashley, as to whether it would interest kids nowadays is another story but maybe the Grandkids will get some enjoyment from it.

Jonathan Kinghorn
                Participant
                  @jonathankinghorn16230

I've been working on Welwyn North station c.1935 in N gauge–no layout yet so I'm working on buildings when I'm not working on boats. The second photo shows rough models made to help me work out how to make the real things.

img_20200828_162425862.jpg

pc014745.jpg

Richard Simpson
                  Participant
                    @richardsimpson88330

Did you paint the archway yourself? The effect has worked very well.

Bob Abell 2
                    Participant
                      @bobabell2

I really do like your Loco layout Richard

So very neat and very realistic too……But how often do you operate it, nowadays?

I think the enjoyment is mainly in the building……Like Model Boats…..eh?

I often have a look at the super big layout of that famous chap with BBC connections…..?

Of course I can`t recall his name at the moment

I often wonder what will become of it eventually?

A common problem I suppose?

I like the preservation societies with the old preserved loco`s

We had the famous LMS Bahamas Society at Dinting near Glossop and also at Buxton, sadly, they are now long gone. for some reason

Bob

(PS…… I was talking about Pete Waterman)

Edited By Bob Abell on 08/08/2021 09:09:15

Colin Bishop
                        @colinbishop34627

We had a Hornby O gauge trainset when I was a kid. The standout moment was when my Dad was winding up the engine with the cat on his lap. Moggie got a bit too curious and managed to get its whiskers entangled in the mechanism. Pandemonium ensued…

Colin

Richard Simpson
                        Participant
                          @richardsimpson88330

I was reading about Pete Waterman's 64 foot layout, which is displayed in Chester Cathedral, only this morning in the latest Hornby magazine. Personally I prefer quality rather than quantity and would far rather see a small shunting layout that has been beautifully put together than a huge layout that has been put together quickly. When you consider he has 64 foot of four track main line and there are two houses on it it says it all for me.

I do like operating as well as building as I like the atmosphere that the sounds of the loco's generate. I quite often have something running around while i work on an area of scenery. For now things are on hold as I put some effort into getting the latest open steam launch completed but then I will return to the layout. I am getting a bit bogged down with automating signals, which is why i decided to have a break and work on some boats.

Jonathan Kinghorn
                          Participant
                            @jonathankinghorn16230

I did paint the tunnel portal, like all structures for my project it is scratch built. All card and wood in this case, including dolls house moldings for the fancy bits. It needs a lot more weathering–the real portal is still black with soot today. The portal will be largely buried in a cutting.

Richard Simpson
                            Participant
                              @richardsimpson88330

That will look superb.

Ray Wood 3
                              Participant
                                @raywood3

Hi All,

Well not strictly model railways, but along the same lines

This is my 5" gauge Terrier tank engine Boxhill, the model designed by Martin Evans in Model Engineer magazine the chassis has inside cylinders and needs the valve gear to be completed before I can air test it. The copper boiler I had professionally made 20 years ago , this has been a 25 year project so far, I'm not rushing and only do another part when I'm in the mood.

Unfortunately the cost of having a boiler made and the price of the casting these days far out weighs the value of the finished locomotive, but it's a lot of satisfaction along the way andboxhill 300821.jpg if it ever gets finished (The Hornby 00 version for size comparison)

Regards Ray

Richard Simpson
                                Participant
                                  @richardsimpson88330

Absolutely fantastic Ray. Reminds me of those amazing exhibits at the Model Engineering shows that I miss so much!

Edited By Richard Simpson on 30/08/2021 17:46:27

gecon
                                  Participant
                                    @gecon

Oh-Oh; I'm being inspired by these posts! Used to have digitalised Hornby and Fleischmann HO sets. Later downsized to Fleisch' N-scale. Think I might have space for a small Z-gauge Christmas theme layout. Have to go for Marklin Mini-Club I suppose. A bit pricey, but don't have the space for anything else. Have to try to get SWMBO in the Xmas spirit soon. Can start by buying in the Bristol Cream maybe laugh Babbling again…..

George

Bob Abell 2
                                    Participant
                                      @bobabell2

Found this old photo of my late twin brother`s Garden Railway layout, built in his roof space about twenty years ago

It was most elaborate and impressive

He later went over to the Lego Loco`s genre and many of his specials appear on the Lego website

Bob

geoff`s loco track.jpg

Richard Simpson
                                      Participant
                                        @richardsimpson88330

Very atmospheric Bob. I can't help but ponder over the question of how a railway built in a roof space becomes a garden railway. Did it use very high viaducts or very steep inclines?!

Ray Wood 3
                                        Participant
                                          @raywood3

Hi All,

As we live in Kent and being called the Garden of England (by some) this is my garden railway Hercules at Dungeness station of the Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railways, some advantages to nothercules 100921.jpg working on Fridays now

I have loved this railway as long as I can remember as we had holidays at Greatstone back in the 60's and fortunately my grandchildren live close to the line !!

Regards Ray

Richard Simpson
                                          Participant
                                            @richardsimpson88330

Absolutely beautiful Ray. What a stunning piece of model engineering.

Bob Abell 2
                                            Participant
                                              @bobabell2

Richard, are you saying, that you have never heard of a Roof Garden?

You`ve at sea too long!

Bob

ashley needham
                                              Participant
                                                @ashleyneedham69188

It will soon be time to get the cheap plastic train set out that runs under our Christmas tree! I have three actually, bought in the xmas sales. Cant resist them….probably a childhood thing.

Ashley

Richard Simpson
                                                Participant
                                                  @richardsimpson88330

Erm, probably, but we won't tell anyone.

Bob Abell 2
                                                  Participant
                                                    @bobabell2

Continuing my post concerning Geoff Abell`s Model Trains hobby

Following on from his loft layout, he later got very interested in Loco`s built from Lego blocks.

A few of his original builds are enclosed, some represent the locos at Porthmadoc

He also involved himself iwith the West Highland Railway activities in North Wales, Porthmadoc to Caernarfon

Being a Chartered Engineer, he was also involved in the design of the Loco`s construction and got involved with actually meeting the retired owners of Beyer Peacocks of Gorton Manchester to discuss Loco design.I think Peacocks were the builders of the original narrow gauge loco`s

Sadly, Geoff passed away, a few years ago

Bob

8062664356_6c66776620_b.jpg

8062662860_96ca829f24_b.jpg

6803206440_b0702c9252_b.jpg

redpmg
                                                    Participant
                                                      @redpmg

Not a model – but an amazing picture of the contrasts in Africarhodesian garret.jpg– note the Garret with its large water tank forward

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 80 total)