Liverpool class Lifeboat, a Metcalf models kit.

Advert

Liverpool class Lifeboat, a Metcalf models kit.

Home Forums Building Kits Liverpool class Lifeboat, a Metcalf models kit.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 214 total)
  • Author
    Richard Simpson
    Participant
      @richardsimpson88330

I didn't want to push the idea but I think Colin is spot on. I'm really not a great fan of tealights unless they are firmly secured in a suitable housing. Naked flames always seem to be far too risky in the home for me!

I think that is a far better idea Neil.

Advert
      neil hp
      Participant
        @neilhp

yes indeed Richard…….i didn't know arificial ones existed……..but have bought 24 of them for her numerous little houses as well as this one…..we'll all feel safer.

and the little lifeboat house is finished and ready for Christmas day.

img-20211204-wa0002.jpg

img-20211204-wa0003.jpg

neil hp
        Participant
          @neilhp

just have to get my oher daughters jewelry box made now, and then i can get full steam ahead with y lifeboat

neil hp
          Participant
            @neilhp

now, back to the lifeboat for a day……..

was going to do more than i did tonight to my Liverpool, and brought it indoors to fit the cross members for the deck suports whilst i watched the Saudi grand prix……

however it was so exciting that the only times i got to glue them in one at a time were when the race was red flagged twice and 5 safety cars………..so what would have been a 20 minute job took me 2.5 hours, lol…

then i drilled and then removed the "lump" of grp and filler from the beltong to make just one of the cut outs in the belting that the later Liverpool twin screws had.

that went much easier than i thought, and so will cut out and file smooth the remaining 17 holes tomorrow.

img_0910.jpg

img_0911.jpg

img_0912.jpg

img_0914.jpg

neil hp
            Participant
              @neilhp

ALL 18 holes have now been gut out of the belting on the Liverpool class boat, and just need cleaning up with files.

now you can see just WHY they could not be moulded in to the hull as a production hull.

whilst the cross bearers and th pins holding the bilge keels have been strengthened and waterproofed

img_0916.jpg

img_0917.jpg

img_0918.jpg

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 06/12/2021 21:56:04

neil hp
              Participant
                @neilhp

and to finish off this evening i have weighted down 2 stringers for the bulwarks and they will be fitted tomorrow.

img_0919.jpg

neil hp
                Participant
                  @neilhp

OMG …………I have just doubled all of this up on my original blog about the tractor trailor …………i must be loosing the plot, or my marbles somewhere along the way………

anyway just to say i'll be cack on the build after christmas.

Richard Simpson
                  Participant
                    @richardsimpson88330

Take more water with it Neil!

neil hp
                    Participant
                      @neilhp
                      Posted by Richard Simpson on 24/12/2021 19:41:34:

Take more water with it Neil!

I think i need to, Richard………….or just stick to H2o on its own lol.

anyway……..

I made a new years resolution about 50 years ago……the only one I have ever kept

And that was NEVER to make a new years resolution again, and I have steadfastly kept it …………until tonight!!…………..

when I broke it!

Looking at my Liverpool kit which I havent touched since long before Christmas [in my modelling terms] I decided that after speaking with a modelling mate earlier this afternoon and in a round about message told me to get on with it I decided to be more organised in my life from now on.

So this evening I decided the best way not to make the cock up again like I did with the deck bearers [which I am still Kicking myself about] I found a ring binder folder, some card seperators and punched holes in the three seperated sections and placed the sections in the folder.

Sorted….I now feel confident that I have all the instructions in one place and not scattered around the workshop!

A little tidying of the workshop in the next couple of days to what I had got it into before Christmas, and then work can resume in ernest…..feel better just for doing that, as I will be able to sit down and read them.

img_0954.jpg

img_0955.jpg

img_0956.jpg

neil hp
                      Participant
                        @neilhp

getting back into the build now.

been 17 years sinse i last looked at a fttings set for the liverpool class, and had forgotten how many there were!

amd so i decoded tonight to take each bag out of the box, clean any "flash" that was on any of them twith needle files or abrasive paper and think as to where they go. as with Metcalf models fittings there is and always has been very very little to clean off them as they are so well cast..

i can now get on with the build.

img_0960.jpg

img_0961.jpg

img_0963.jpg

img_0965.jpg

img_0966.jpg

Richard Simpson
                        Participant
                          @richardsimpson88330

Love the ring binder Neil, that's exactly what I do when I am collecting information and instructions. Eventually it will also contain the manual for the speed controllers, motors, instructions for the receivers etc, etc.

neil hp
                          Participant
                            @neilhp
                            Posted by Richard Simpson on 30/12/2021 09:07:44:

Love the ring binder Neil, that's exactly what I do when I am collecting information and instructions. Eventually it will also contain the manual for the speed controllers, motors, instructions for the receivers etc, etc.

not thought of that, but a good idea Richard……..my memory isn't as retentive at my age………but you are right….good thinking. cheers.

neil hp
                            Participant
                              @neilhp

Catching up…

i dry fitted the remaining deck support beams and plates for the main cabin cuddy..

next i will put a fillet of P38 between the outer hull deck supports, to secure the franework and also make the hull impregnable from water ingress at that week point…..

just have to measure the correct possition of the stern part of the access hole in the plywood plate from the stern for correct possitioning of the cockpit.

img_0969.jpg

img_0970.jpg

img_0972.jpg

img_0974.jpg

neil hp
                              Participant
                                @neilhp

I am looking at all events, and though i sailed my original prototype of this kit in some heavy weather on Fleetwood boating lake and got no ingress i am leaving nothing to chance and so am installing windscreen washer pumps.

one will be in the bow and one will be in the stern.

i have already decided to put filters on to the pick up tubes to filter out any dust and just want enough pump power to keep the hull dry…………..

img_0977.jpg

img_0979.jpg

img_0980.jpg

img_0982.jpg

img_0983.jpg

neil hp
                                Participant
                                  @neilhp

whilst planning for the modifications i need to make on this special model lifeboat to make ready and watertight for the Windermere Challenge in june i have been pondering about how to make the main hatch below the central cockpit water tight.

And i think i have cracked it.

but this ment taking the rear wall [which would have eventually needed to be done later in the buld at an early stage so that i can ponder inside the recess, and codjetate, [as my father would say].

and now i can sit and get an overall pictire of what i have to do.

img_0986.jpg

img_0987.jpg

img_0988.jpg

Richard Simpson
                                  Participant
                                    @richardsimpson88330

Not knowing the arrangement Neil but my philosophy, wherever possible, is to follow the constructional arrangement of the real thing. After all it works in full size.

neil hp
                                    Participant
                                      @neilhp
                                      Posted by Richard Simpson on 05/01/2022 22:40:00:

Not knowing the arrangement Neil but my philosophy, wherever possible, is to follow the constructional arrangement of the real thing. After all it works in full size.

normally agree Richard…………..but theres a lot of water in Windermere, and knowing my luck on the 25th June, theres going to be a lot of it swamping my small boat, and i need to get rid if it fast.

i wouldn't build a model in such a way as this any other time as i like to sail even lifeboats on small placid calm lakes but i am building this model to sail on any type of water, [as this might not be the last time it sees rough watter……..so i'm modifying to stay afloat, and to do as long a sail as it can on just 2 sets of batteries…….think thats why its taking me so long.

normally i'd have it half built by now, lol.

anyway……..the motor pumps have been wired up to a 12v supply and tested…think they will drain even a neil size bath tub in record time, never mind a 36" hull should anything go wrong.

tomorrow i have to go on the hunt to a local aeroplane modellers shop for some fuel pump pipe clips

img_0991.jpg

img_0992.jpg

Richard Simpson
                                      Participant
                                        @richardsimpson88330

So are you looking at creating a completely sealed internal space that could withstand even holding below the surface?

neil hp
                                        Participant
                                          @neilhp
                                          Posted by Richard Simpson on 06/01/2022 09:00:35:

So are you looking at creating a completely sealed internal space that could withstand even holding below the surface?

basically yes Richard……….but only for the run up windermere…….once that is over, i can revert to the boat just being a normal boat for use on calm waters, lol.

neil hp
                                          Participant
                                            @neilhp

what is this world coming too!!!

went to the local model shop today in Bispham and the owner came to the locked door, opened it slightly and apologised that he couldn't let me in as he was waiting for the CSI and police to arive……….they had had a burglary, stuff smashed on the floor, just absolutely disgusting.

giving my apologies i went to Halfords for my pipe clips. Nothing there but he had very small zip locks so i bought a pack, came home and locked the silicon piping on to the inlet and outlet pipes from the pumps!..Job done!!!

i can now fit the under first level decks before working on the hull.

img_0993.jpg

img_0994.jpg

img_0995.jpg

Pete Nicholson
                                            Participant
                                              @petenicholson81590

Hi Neil, seeing your project, and your determination to stop water ingress, as a complete novice I would value your advice regarding prop shaft/tube sealing. Am building an aeronaut diva and having great difficulty as the tube bushes are not aligned ie. shaft will stick on rotation ( not badly but obvious). When I sort this, I am considering pumping the tube full of flexible shaft grease ( lithium based) but would like your opinion of this, versus just regular light oiling? No instructions on this supplied.

hope you don’t mind going off topic.

best regards

Pete.

neil hp
                                              Participant
                                                @neilhp

the centre section of of the inner deck was added this afternoon, using 2part epoxy, 30 minute setting time, which i gave 90 minute setting before taking the clamps off.

and then i was just about to put the fore deck on and i realised that i hadn't put into the fore frame some reinforcing cross members and filler plates.

you will find these nowhere mentioned in the kit. However as i plan to use a full set of sails for the boat on the Windermere challenge, the scale tabernackle in white metal supplied in the kit might just not be up to the strain that a quite big dipping lug sail and fore sail that my daughter is making for me, and so i have silver soldered a brass tabernackle together, and this will be screwed through the two deck sheets and into support plates that i have added.

And rather than use obeche timber as the underneath support plate, which again might split under the strain, i have used 3 layers of different thickness ply's glued with the strata's going in opposite directions and giving 11 layers of timber in all.

i doubt that will split, but WILL give great strength to the tabernackle, mast and sails if the wind should whip up.

i am leaving nothing to chance.

img_0997.jpg

img_0998.jpg

img_1000.jpg

img_1001.jpg

img_1003.jpg

neil hp
                                                Participant
                                                  @neilhp

finally tonight, i glued in to place the stern section of the deck which i used to hold down using clamps and old batteries [very very usefull for just such jobs.

and then the two fillets to fill in to level the rear edge of the access to the boat.

img_1004.jpg

img_1005.jpg

img_1006.jpg

Richard Simpson
                                                  Participant
                                                    @richardsimpson88330

A lot of structural work going into this. I also keep old lead acid batteries for holding down railway track while the glue sets!

I think you might need a couple more knives Neil.

neil hp
                                                    Participant
                                                      @neilhp

got some somehere Richard, but my usual plight……cant find them, all brass handled ones, lol.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 214 total)