Liverpool class Lifeboat, a Metcalf models kit.

Advert

Liverpool class Lifeboat, a Metcalf models kit.

Home Forums Building Kits Liverpool class Lifeboat, a Metcalf models kit.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 201 through 214 (of 214 total)
  • Author
    neil hp
    Participant
      @neilhp

thanks Richard, for the tip about the varnish, i shall do that……..

glad you like it……..quite pleased with the outcome. i'm just getting all the LED Lamps wired up to a terminal now and the motors fixed in and connected……….

the propshafts have been packed with vasciline and carbon powder mix. and then set the radio gear p. and then trials at New Brighton lake, as its fresh water.

Advert
      Chris Fellows
      Participant
        @chrisfellows72943

One for you Neil. Our Open Day today at Knightcote.

Chris

20220612_112015.jpg

Edited By Chris Fellows on 12/06/2022 16:05:39

Richard Simpson
        Participant
          @richardsimpson88330

Another beautiful model Chris.

neil hp
          Participant
            @neilhp

here's one for the album………….The 3 original models from a semi kit i produced in 2010/11

I produced the semi kit from moulds I made 12 years ago, and our first charity sail up Loch Ness in 2011 was a bit of a disaster boat wise as all 3 failed to get to the other end in July 2011.

But the fund raising for the RNLI went well with nearly £4000 was raised from all concerned to the charity.

This photo shows all three Clydes in the class that were built and modelled by myself and two friends of 70-001 RNLB CHARLES BARRETT, 70 002 RNLB GRACE PATERSON RITCHIE, and 70-003 RNLB CITY OF BRISTOL.

My boat was the one in the fore front 70-002.

The Clyde class of lifeboats were called "cruising lifeboats, and were and still are the largest lifeboats ever to be produced by the lifeboats from an original design by naval architect John Tyrell of Ireland, but addapted by Oakley, which sadly had a flaw in that it reduced the top speed from a designed speed of 14-15 knotts to barely 10 knotts eventually.

the photo shows the orignal 3 at Loch Ness.

101510311_3251355111543231_6317233753760464896_o.jpg

neil hp
            Participant
              @neilhp
              Posted by Chris Fellows on 12/06/2022 16:04:16:

One for you Neil. Our Open Day today at Knightcote.

Chris

20220612_112015.jpg

Edited By Chris Fellows on 12/06/2022 16:05:39

he gets everywhere, does our Steve Bennett.

neil hp
              Participant
                @neilhp

sadly, my dream of sailing my Liverpool Class lifeboat next saturday, 25th June, after 3 years waiting with my 3 other friends are over..

A DISASTER!!!!

Soon after these photos were taken by my friend Dave Wooley at New Brighton this morning on her first test sail, my boat built especially for the Windermere RNLI Challenge next Saturday was hit by a short gust of wind, and luckily close to the bank, she capsized, enough to fill the inner hull full.

there is little i can do as she was already sailing to her waterline, without the brass dagger boards or lead ballast fitted which would have taken her lower still in the water…………and as such i believe she would be lost on windermere should i attempt to sail her, knowing how Windermere can get.

To make matters worse i checked the electronics in the boat which i found submerged in water and took out as quickly as possible, after retroieving the boat……….and just attached power to them, and sadly no power lights show, so think i have knackered those too……….i am very peeed off, as i thought i had covered every eventuallity….but sadly not

i will go to Windermere and support from the bank side……..but will leave the other lads to do the sail without me grumbling in their ears all day…..i'll drown my sorrows with copious chocolate covered icecreams.

i am actually gutted

liverpool sailing (1).jpg

liverpool sailing (2).jpg

liverpool sailing (3).jpg

Richard Simpson
                Participant
                  @richardsimpson88330

I'm sure we are all also gutted Neil, I know I was looking forward to seeing how the event went.

However on the positive side at least your test sail proved that you shouldn't send her out on Windermere, where you may well have lost her completely, and you still have a beautiful model that you can enjoy sailing on your local waters when you have dried it all out and sorted the electrics.

I must admit she does look superb on the water and I'm so glad you didn't loose her. I also once had a boat sink but managed to recover it and after drying it out and refurbishing it I must admit it became one of my favourite models. I only use it in fair weather now though.

neil hp
                  Participant
                    @neilhp

thanks Richard……….after a good nights sleep and a couple of beers last night, i have come to the conclusion that all things are fixable.

i'll de-rig the main sail and furl it and just use the boat on motors, but will re-motor the boat with 600 type motors this summer.

as the sail is quite a heafty sheet rolled up i will substitute it with a piece of similar cloth rolled and tied to the gaff, and lay it down over the crutch and cabin top.

hopefully that will able me to sail without attaching the dagger bords which were an after thought anyway.

as you say, at least i didn't loose it to the deapths of Windermere.

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 20/06/2022 08:07:20

neil hp
                    Participant
                      @neilhp

the event will go on with the other 3 friends and their boats, but i'll just be a spectater, lol.

gecon
                      Participant
                        @gecon

Is it not permissible to have a removeable keel to give the required stability -and safety? Or is that the equivavlent to swearing in church?

Irrespective, good to read that that she was retrieved form the depths.

George

Ray Wood 3
                        Participant
                          @raywood3

Hi Neil,

Terrible bad luck, is the dagger board stout enough to put a lead weight on the bottom of it to give you a righting moment ??

Regards Ray

neil hp
                          Participant
                            @neilhp
                            Posted by Ray Wood 2 on 20/06/2022 11:00:42:

Hi Neil,

Terrible bad luck, is the dagger board stout enough to put a lead weight on the bottom of it to give you a righting moment ??

Regards Ray

IT IS Ray, as it was made from a brass cymbal, but it would then be well down in the water line, and as such not suitable for windermere.

there will be another day to come with a larger model. hopefully.

Colin Bishop
                              @colinbishop34627

Really sorry to see this Neil after all your work. At least you still have your magnificent model. Full marks for trying somehing most of us would never have attempted.

Colin

neil hp
                              Participant
                                @neilhp

thanks Colin……i enjoyed building it, and that was the main thing………

at times, we have to push the boundaries in hope that we succeed…….

next time "it" might work………..but after the initial shock…..all is water under the bridge, or hull,… as it nearly was, lol and its on with the next project.

thanks again.

neil

Viewing 14 posts - 201 through 214 (of 214 total)