Fairey Huntsman 31

Advert

Fairey Huntsman 31

Home Forums Build Blogs Fairey Huntsman 31

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 126 total)
  • Author
    Chris Fellows
    Participant
      @chrisfellows72943

Building my other Faireys has come to a halt for the time being due to holidays, doing stuff in the garden and other things.

So wanting to do something model orientated (especially as the weather has been so poor of late and continuing to be so) I thought I'd pick up my Huntsman 31 project again. This is going to be built at 1:12 like my other Fairey builds.

I bought a drawing a couple of years ago when I first started getting interested in model boats. I've not long started but I'm redrawing parts of it so that I can print off at will for transferring to the ply etc. Also modifying parts of it to make building easier and more accurate e.g. adding a temporary spine to align the frames and fingers to the keel to fix to the building board as I've done with a couple of my other builds.

Chris

nexus plans.jpg

Advert
      Chris Fellows
      Participant
        @chrisfellows72943
        Tim Rowe
        Participant
          @timrowe83142

Subscribed

Tim R

Chris Fellows
          Participant
            @chrisfellows72943

Thanks Tim

Actually having a set of drawings at the right scale of 1:12 the intention was to virtually build it straight off the drawings along with the modifications mentioned earlier but now that I've being doing a bit more I've decided to make a few more alterations to the frames and templates to echo what I've done on my other builds. This includes changes to the bow area and moving the frames to the front and rear of the cockpit slightly to accommodate the cabin walls from floor to roof rather than sitting them on the frames in the same plane.

One thing I had noticed with Huntsman 31 models, all I think, is that the rudder is much further forward from the stern than on other Fairey models and the original Fairey drawing. Is this because the stern is quite rounded and access to fit the rudder is restricted or for some other reason, handling perhaps? This position does reduce the amount of space available between the rudder and front wall of the aft cabin for the servo etc.

Chris

Dave Milbourn
            Participant
              @davemilbourn48782

Chris

I've built both of the 'old' versions of the Huntsman kit, with the rudder in the forward position, and four of the 1/16 scale version with the rudder back in line with the transom. From the handling aspect I didn't notice any difference, but I think the 'real' postion (i.e. the aft one) looks better, even if it is a bit trickier to arrange the tiller connection.

Dave M

Chris Fellows
              Participant
                @chrisfellows72943

Thanks Dave.

Whilst the rudder isn't really seen that much I agree that it looks better nearer the transom and will move it as close as I can.

The Nexus Plans/Vic Sneed version does have the rudder further forward than any of the other versions other than your 1/16 models.

Chris

Chris Fellows
                Participant
                  @chrisfellows72943

Fitting in with other things I'm making progress on the drawings. It's amazing, even though I've got three other builds on the go (though not touched for a few weeks) how soon you forget how you did certain things. Even looking back at my own drawings it's not always clear and therefore the photographs I took and notes I made are invaluable.

Chris

Tim Rowe
                  Participant
                    @timrowe83142

Chris

I find that too. I have far too many things on the go and work is busy so only time for very little modeling. I have started to keep notes for same reason but sometimes I look at them afresh and think – what the devil was I thinking?

The on thing that really matters is to keep enjoying it and even if it takes a break or change to do so.

Still very much subscribed.

Tim R

Chris Fellows
                    Participant
                      @chrisfellows72943

The hull design of the Huntsman 31 is the sleekest and most modern looking of the moulded timber hull designs and the length enabled a quite roomy aft cabin to be incorporated which was obviously what owners wanted as the majority, i.e. 27, of boats were manufactured in this guise.

But another 6 boats had a full length cockpit and were called Huntsman 31 Sport with most being used for racing for obvious reasons. With the sleeker bow and full length coamings I reckon this version looks great.

Drawings were almost ready to build the aft cabin version from (which I shall at some point) but I've now decided to build the Sport version. Just got to modify some of the bulkheads to suit the cockpit and I can make a start. Space in the house is becoming a bit of a problem though!

Chris

huntsman 31 sport - side view.jpg

Chris Fellows
                      Participant
                        @chrisfellows72943

Build is coming along now. Bit of a luxury for a while because as well as using the smallest bedroom as a work room I'm currently replacing the skirting boards and architrave in the second bedroom ready for decorating and once the day's work is over I'm doing a bit on the model. Loads of space!

Chris

luxury.jpg

Chris Fellows
                        Participant
                          @chrisfellows72943

Doing a little bit each day following decorating.

Reached the stage where I'm fitting the stringers.

Chris

fitting stringers 2.jpg

Tim Rowe
                          Participant
                            @timrowe83142

Leaps and bounds Chris

The distinctive Fairey shape is very clear in this photo

Excellent work again.

Tim R

Chris Fellows
                            Participant
                              @chrisfellows72943

Thanks Tim. This is the quickest build so far (relatively speaking!) which it should be given that it is the fourth.

Chris

Chris Fellows
                              Participant
                                @chrisfellows72943

Ha, ha, just read my last post. Quickest build so far! Well it may have been, but not having done anything for over 2 months that probably isn't the case anymore!

Finished the work in the bedroom and have managed to create some space in the work room so that I can start modelling again. Time is still limited though as I've started on our room now.

I've profiled the keel and stringers with the razor plane and PermaGrit blocks. Have also cut out the temporary supporting timber to the transom bulkhead and am just about to draw up the pieces to form the curved transom.

Chris

profiling keel & stringers.jpg

temp support removed.jpg

Chris Fellows
                                Participant
                                  @chrisfellows72943

DIY/decorating is still the main focus of my time at the moment but good, albeit steady progress has been made and I've managed to move stuff out of the work room and do a bit now and then on the build.

Pieces were drawn, printed and cut out for forming the curved transom which were then cut out with the scroll saw and sanded to shape and glued in place. I don't like just relying on butting the side and transom skins together so I've added timbers to provide some additional meat for gluing as well.

The deck is cambered, so to facilitate this at the transom I've glued on a piece of balsa and printed out and stuck the necessary curve to the front and back faces to sand to. Once sanded to profile I cut some of the balsa away with my flush saw and finished off with the trusty PermaGrit tools.

As said, still decorating etc. but I'm going to spend more time on the boats as well now.

Chris

transom pieces drawn out.jpg

transom pieces fitted.jpg

Chris Fellows
                                  Participant
                                    @chrisfellows72943

balsa for transom top1.jpg

balsa for transom top2.jpg

sanding to profile.jpg

Edited By Chris Fellows on 19/03/2020 20:55:31

Chris Fellows
                                    Participant
                                      @chrisfellows72943

transom top finished1.jpg

transom top finished2.jpg

Chris Fellows
                                      Participant
                                        @chrisfellows72943

Started planing the chine formers to profile with my lovely little Veritas miniature block plane – just the job for this task.

planing chine formers.jpg

Chris Fellows
                                        Participant
                                          @chrisfellows72943

Last job for the temporary spine and fingers was for holding the hull framework in the Workmate whilst I drilled the hole for the rudder.

Once this was done I removed the spine/fingers and the temporary pieces to the top of two of the bulkheads with my flush saw which opens up access to the interior of the hull.

Chris

drilling hole for rudder.jpg

ready to remove spine etc.jpg

spine etc removed.jpg

Chris Fellows
                                          Participant
                                            @chrisfellows72943

I'm mindful that this build is very similar to my others and to avoid boring everyone to death (though I've probably already done that with the other builds!) I'm just adding photographs to the album as I go along.

I'll post again when I get to something more interesting like the painting stage.

Cheers, Chris

Dave Milbourn
                                            Participant
                                              @davemilbourn48782

Chris

Don't forget that your photos are the definitive documentation for a unique build and that anyone who wants to see it from start to finish really wouldn't care to divert to other threads for the details. It's not as if any of us is short of spare time, is it? I know someone who edits the instructions from a previous set of kit instructions for the next similar kit via Cut and Paste…. but I'm not saying who it is.

It's looking pretty good from where I sit, m'duck.

Dave M

Edited By Dave Milbourn on 28/03/2020 20:03:14

Edited By Dave Milbourn on 28/03/2020 20:21:23

Ray Wood 3
                                              Participant
                                                @raywood3

Hi Chris,

As Dave says keep the pictures coming, there would appear to be so few of us building these days, it may inspire somebody to have a go 😀

Just seen a trip boat on a jigsaw my wife's doing which would be good next project, just sketching it up now 😄

Regards Ray

Ray Wood 3
                                                Participant
                                                  @raywood3

Hi Chris,

As Dave says keep the pictures coming, there would appear to be so few of us building these days, it may inspire somebody to have a go 😀

Just seen a trip boat on a jigsaw my wife's doing which would be good next project, just sketching it up now 😄

Regards Ray

Oops 😀 

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 28/03/2020 20:46:07

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 28/03/2020 20:46:30

Chris Fellows
                                                  Participant
                                                    @chrisfellows72943

Thanks chaps.

Good point Dave, didn't really think about that. Just didn't want to bore folks with a blow by blow account of things already posted. The superstructure will be unique for a Huntsman 31 though I imagine someone must have built a Sport over the years?

Ray, yes sadly and I guess for various reasons, the number of builds has fallen over the last year or so, which included a number of Faireys. Fortunately the Bushy Park crew are producing a few craft and yourself and Eddie of course. Another build in the pipeline (!), don't know how you do it with still working. Once I've finished decorating I'm planning on upping the anti as there's not much else I'll be able to do with my other interests etc. being curtailed.

State of play in our bedroom!

Chris

img_3881.jpg

Edited By Chris Fellows on 29/03/2020 10:57:43

Chris Fellows
                                                    Participant
                                                      @chrisfellows72943

First time I fitted skins to a hull I was nervous about doing it but enjoy it now as it starts to really bring the hull to life and show its lines with those for the H31 being particularly attractive.

My stocks of 1.5mm birch ply are rather depleted at the moment and not wanting to order anymore until I can put a good order in to make the postage worthwhile I've used some which is nearer to 2mm. Bit thick for this hull and takes a lot of sanding at the chine and transom but it did the job.

I usually steam the skins and fit them soon after but with the first one I steamed it and left it overnight, as it was getting late, with the curved part overhanging the worktop. In the morning I'm sure the curve had increased and it was as stiff as a board and I had to re-steam it to flatten it out so that it would fit.

Using thicker ply meant that I resorted to screws for holding along the keel, rather than tape, and plenty of clamps along the chine!

Chris

2nd skin fitted.jpg

bottom skins sanded to shape.jpg

img_3891.jpg

Edited By Chris Fellows on 29/03/2020 11:24:39

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 126 total)