Comtesse Sailing Yacht

Advert

Comtesse Sailing Yacht

Home Forums Sailing Models Comtesse Sailing Yacht

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    gecon
    Participant
      @gecon

Probably good therapy for these unusual times! Off to put the coffee machine 'ON'……

George

Advert
      Ray Wood 3
      Participant
        @raywood3

Hi George,

Yes this forum is really my social media, I have general dislike of the other platforms where people tell you interesting stuff like what they had for lunch etc, But at least on here we are all slightly crazy, but feel sorry for anybody who doesn't have an interest/hobby to immerse themselves in during this lock down.

Having said all that I was at a virtual party last night on Zoom with 7 school mates from 1967, now that's pretty cool

Regards Ray

Chris Fellows
        Participant
          @chrisfellows72943

Hi George

You've had 451 views so far so definitely not talking to yourself!

A lot of folks read threads but don't post on it.

Chris

gecon
          Participant
            @gecon

You shouldn't encourage me Chris, I'll only get worse.

Good News for Ray though…..I don,t remember what I had for lunch yesterday. And the even better news is that I did not take a photo of it either. Had to post some more Comtesse photos though. I'm actually getting to be pleased with the result but, I see from old archive photos of the real thing that it's not much of a semi-scale Bavaria 37. I'll try some strategic blue striping and maybe venture into producing a sprayhoood for the cockpit.

The longer I try to hide from Dr. Corona the heavier the displacement gets. Both mine and the boat's. This virus either makes you very,very thin -or heavy displacement.

See? I got worse. Sorry, going now……

Edited By George Edward Connery on 02/05/2020 06:54:19

Empire Parkstone
            Participant
              @empireparkstone

George we have a Series start tonight on BBC4 set in Stavanger early 60's

Edited By Empire Parkstone on 02/05/2020 19:09:16

gecon
              Participant
                @gecon

Stavanger was a pretty basic place to be in those years. People survived on herring and mackrel until the oil industry started up. I arrived here in 1976 to fly helicopters out to the rigs after 3 years in Aberdeen doing the same job. Don't have BBC4 unfortunately. What is the programme called?

George

Empire Parkstone
                Participant
                  @empireparkstone

Hi It's called State of Happiness about 4 young people through 69/74. from fishing to oil when Phillips Petroleum came on the scene a Norwegian production I worked for a company under Phillips license and as for choppers was also on them albeit an Observer on Siouxs later version of the MASH ones

gecon
                  Participant
                    @gecon

Oh yes, that series was shown here last year. In Norwegian it was called "Lykkeland" (lykke = Lucky; land = country).

In the early days of Helicopterservice A/S they used a Bell 47 -type hellicopter Later Bell 212 and Sikorsky S61. I flew the Bell 47 in Redhill during conversion training from fixedwing. Flew in Aberdeen for 3 years before moving to Norway. Philips was the pioneer customer for Helicopterservice A/S. I think that Philips was the only Company in the begining!

This is hardly modelboat stuff so some members are going to get raelly bored here -while we are "talking to ourselves".

Going back to bed…….

Ray Wood 3
                    Participant
                      @raywood3

Hi George,

On the contrary, many of us on this forum are equally keen on Aviation I think, and to find out you flew these iconic machines is fascinating 😀 I know a fair few of us have come from full-size yachting / sailing down sizing to models now .

I've only really tried full-size flying a little, but did go gliding last summer I found it more challenging than a powered aeroplane to get the turns right.

I expect you have flown some interesting fixed wing aeroplanes ??

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 03/05/2020 10:50:48

gecon
                      Participant
                        @gecon

Hi Ray, I have indeed been privileged to have flown "this and that", "here and there" but am very sure that I would be boring the pants off even the very few who have a look at this COMTESSE (?) thread. I am sure that this is the wrong place for me to be rambling on about flying machines. By all means, send me a PM / e-mail if you should wish to do so. Of course, if Ashley, Colin and Empire all order me to do so, I will reveal the a short list of the flying machines flown here…..on the Comtesse thread!

Off now to oil some teak (obeche) decks…..on the Fisher!

George

Empire Parkstone
                        Participant
                          @empireparkstone

Are we talking about the same Bird George

Pic in Album

Edited By Empire Parkstone on 03/05/2020 12:51:14

gecon
                          Participant
                            @gecon

That bird does not fly…it simply s-its on deck.

gecon
                            Participant
                              @gecon

Oh forgot, there's one bird flying..with the aid of a wire up it's…..er, up it.

gecon
                              Participant
                                @gecon

Misunderstood Empire…again Bird in YOUR album! thought you meant mine.

Can't see enough of it but it looks like the right one. It's got the fishbowl anyway!

George

Empire Parkstone
                                Participant
                                  @empireparkstone

Here is another one George in my album

Chris Fellows
                                  Participant
                                    @chrisfellows72943
                                    Posted by George Edward Connery on 03/05/2020 12:18:14:

Hi Ray, I have indeed been privileged to have flown "this and that", "here and there" but am very sure that I would be boring the pants off even the very few who have a look at this COMTESSE (?) thread. I am sure that this is the wrong place for me to be rambling on about flying machines. By all means, send me a PM / e-mail if you should wish to do so. Of course, if Ashley, Colin and Empire all order me to do so, I will reveal the a short list of the flying machines flown here…..on the Comtesse thread!

Off now to oil some teak (obeche) decks…..on the Fisher!

George

George

On other threads we talk about model aircraft and motorbikes etc. so I'd say feel free! It's your thread afterall.

No-one's looking or listening anyway!

Chris

gecon
                                    Participant
                                      @gecon
                                      Posted by Empire Parkstone on 03/05/2020 19:47:37:

Here is another one George in my album

That's the one, flying goldfish bowl!

gecon
                                      Participant
                                        @gecon

Chris, and anybody else….started flying when I was 17, stopped at 51 due to tinnitus og hearing damage after converting to the Super Puma MK2. Even I don't want to read about what I have flown between those years.

I may however venture a post on a slightly nautical, Titanic element. If I can find -or take- a photo of the subject. Just so that nobody will look at it.

All this reading, yacking and enjoying hearing myself, is exending my launchdates considerably.

George

Empire Parkstone
                                        Participant
                                          @empireparkstone

Longest flight in one George? we did from Hannover down to Toulon mainly Esso roadmapsmiley on route to Tobruk . Needless to say the Med was a bridge too far that was on an LST. The return was on surface as our fitter found a wee crack in tail rotor gearbox. All Siouxs were grounded then till checked. ours were brought back by Hercules.

gecon
                                          Participant
                                            @gecon

About 1 hour I suppose. So called cross country navigation training flights. Southbound from Redhill, keeping clear of Gatwick approaches and departures etc. and with luck, finding Redhill again! It is not unknown chopper pilots to fly using road maps. Some even land to look at the road SIGNS!

gecon
                                            Participant
                                              @gecon

This hammer was my grandfather's. He was a painter and decorator. He worked for several years at Harland and Wolf shipyards, Belfast. He worked on bord the Titanic. This hammer has been on the Titanic! It was in my grandfathers shed. When I was a teenager, I used the handle to stir white paint! Good quality Paint though, still sticking to the wood. Another piece of useless info' from the other side of the North Sea. Which no one will read.20200504_094720.jpg

Eddie Lancaster
                                              Participant
                                                @eddielancaster

I’ll bet that paint was full of lead, my father used it to paint his bee hives, it lasted for 20 years or more.

Regards

Eddie.

gecon
                                                Participant
                                                  @gecon

So that's why my lips went blue!

I like your album photos eddie. Super detail. The Fisher looks like driftwood in comparison.

George

Eddie Lancaster
                                                  Participant
                                                    @eddielancaster

Never driftwood, nice planking on the hull and deck.

Regards.

Eddie.

Empire Parkstone
                                                    Participant
                                                      @empireparkstone

Yeah no sat nav then.Only thing other than Compass we had a direction finder but that had to be helped by the guys in trouble sending short signals. Map reading A to B no problem as the observer had to read as well as the pilot Reconnaissance more the observer for 6 figure contact shouts.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 52 total)