Comtesse Sailing Yacht

Advert

Comtesse Sailing Yacht

Home Forums Sailing Models Comtesse Sailing Yacht

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    gecon
    Participant
      @gecon

While waiting for resin etc to cure on the Fisher 34 project I have started some basic contruction (glueing with messy Stabilit Express) on the Comtesse which I actually bought last summer -before the mad idea of scratch-building a Fisher 34

There has been a kit review of the Comtesse in MB -which i have not read! So far, I am pleased with the kit and the instructions. It will be motorized and I have bought the extra -nicely moulded- wing keel which will lower the C.of.G.

The plan is to paint the Comtesse to resemble a semi-scale Bavaria 37. I owned a B37 from 2007 to 2010. Did not have the time to use and maintain her. Now I have the time but not the money! So this summer I will have a smaller version 1:12 . Hope the virus will let me out of the flat to test it…..don't have a bathtub!

I bit boring this, but I simply had to tell somebody – sorry!

Advert
      gecon
      Participant
        @gecon

R/C Semi-Scale Yacht

Ray Wood 3
        Participant
          @raywood3

Hi George,

The chap who owned the boat yard where we kept our small sailing cruiser always told me the best sort of boat was somebody else's 😀 he was right !!

Imagine paying marina fees at the moment, for something you can't use 😕

Regards Ray

Empire Parkstone
          Participant
            @empireparkstone

George does the review include the build if so could you confirm the builder please

Thanks

gecon
            Participant
              @gecon

Hi Empire,

At first I did not quite understand your question but, I see now that my post might give the impression that I have bought a finished Comtesse and have started to modify it to a B37 'look-alike'.

I bought the kit and accesories from a modelshop here in Norway. I have posted a few photos in an album under 'Comtesse'. So I am the 'builder—-or chief glue-er! Hope that answers your question.

George

Ray Wood 3
              Participant
                @raywood3

Hi George,

I think Empire is only asking if you know the name of the person who did the review of building the kit in Model Boats ?

You were clear that you were building the kit, Stablit Express is serious stuff!!

Regards Ray

gecon
                Participant
                  @gecon

OK,

I recently saw a cover photo of MB with the Comtesse pictured. Must have been within the the past few days. I'll have a look….

gecon
                  Participant
                    @gecon

Lost …and found!

MB May 2010. Terry Small reviews rhe Robbe Comtesse. I believe that the kit I have bought is updated compared with the 2010 Version. Krick Ro -Marin re-introduced the Comtesse around Autumn 2018 I think. New box-top photo is shown in Forum under 'Comtesse'

The instructions in my kit are dated Sept.2018.

George

Empire Parkstone
                    Participant
                      @empireparkstone

Hi George no prob, as Ray said just wanted the name of the reviewer/builder. Reason being I may have that boat .Th chap who built it has done articles for MB. He lengthened the Hatch and also had the first sails made for it by Nylet using his for template. Norway fond memories of two spells there in the 60's courtesy of HM forces

Thanks again

gecon
                      Participant
                        @gecon

There's quite an array of photos if you google "Comtesse sailing yacht". Maybe Terry's example is there too. Also a few videos on you tube.

I will probably not be able to stop myself from posting progress photos in "Album". At least there will be no rough-cut 10mm plywood as on my Fisher 34 album. I'm sure some of the members cringe at the sight of the Fisher woodwork if they can even bare to look!

George.

Empire Parkstone
                        Participant
                          @empireparkstone

George I have the Mag now not the same guy and My Comtasse as said has the enlarged hatch 6×4.5'' also the fore hatch is an opening one and light blue as on the box plus winged keel

gecon
                          Participant
                            @gecon

OK, good to have a bit of space to work in the hull when needed. The cockpit on mine is to be held in place by 6 small countersunk screws. It also has a sliding Hatch just foreward of the cockpit -ref photos in "album". Just had a 'weather window' here in Stavanger….+15 degrees and just a slight breeze so have been outside spraying the hull. I must say I do not like spray-painting. It dries nice and fast but all the prep of masking off topsides and then hull etc is not my thing. Posted som photos. Looking forward to some hull decoration at the weekend.

George

Empire Parkstone
                            Participant
                              @empireparkstone

Couple of my pics my winch /batts and receiver all in a box

gecon
                              Participant
                                @gecon

Empire, regarding the motor installation in your version of the Comtesse: do you have a unversal joint between motorshaft and prop-shaft? Mine is a one-piece brass coupling about 40mm long drilled at each end to match motor (2,3mm?) and shaft (4mm?)

I am installing the sterntube/shaft now (prior to securing the motor + motormount assembly and notice that the motormount assembly moves slightly (+/- 2mm) around the centreline when the propp is rotated. ie. something is not quite in allignment. I supect it's the one-piece drilled brass coupling or the motorshaft. A bit difficult to check but I'll do some tests today.

I wonder if a universal joint is used on your version? Maybe you do'nt even have a motor in it?

George

ashley needham
                                Participant
                                  @ashleyneedham69188

George. I would seriously recommend using either a u/j or a flexible coupling to prevent any issues, especially when you come to test it properly and it vibrates and will be much harder to fix.

i am sure solid couplings are included in kits because they are the cheapest option.

You could cut the coupling in half and sleeve it with silicone tube! I bought some thick walled tube that was a nice tight fit over the splines of the normal common brass bits and it works a treat. There are millions of sizes out there to get exactly the right fit and it’s dead cheap.

Ashley

Empire Parkstone
                                  Participant
                                    @empireparkstone

Hi George nope no motor in any of my yachts

gecon
                                    Participant
                                      @gecon

Empire, sorry… I should have thought of my last sentence first. Would have saved you all that reading!

George

gecon
                                      Participant
                                        @gecon

Ashley, I am already on the hunt for a u/j. See that CMB has the right one (2.3mm / 4mm). Trying to find one in Norway first though.

The coupling in the kit is a nice piece machined brass but, useless -or… now I have a small brass anchor. Thanks for the tip but I'll try to get a u/j først. Sorcing small bits and bobs /silicon tube etc. here in Norway is not easy.

George

Empire Parkstone
                                        Participant
                                          @empireparkstone

No Prob George Don't go out much these dayssmiley

Ray Wood 3
                                          Participant
                                            @raywood3

Hi George,

If you PM me your address, i'll send you a selection of short lengths of silicone fuel tubing to sort out your coupling, I use it for aeroplane engines, not worth you buying it 😀

Regards Ray

ashley needham
                                            Participant
                                              @ashleyneedham69188

George. Wot, no e-bay in Norway!!! oo er.

Ashleyt

gecon
                                              Participant
                                                @gecon

Very good Empire…and very true!

Ashley, yes e-bay is available to all but I don't do business there. Don't know why.

Ray, very kind of you but no need. I will however keep the silicon tube in mind for next time i need a 'bendy connection'…no Ashley, don't say it!

I sent off an order to CMB just after the last post, they have 2,3mm/4mm in stock -bought a few mini-shackles too -just to jazz up (and weigh down) the Fisher. I'll go back to building the Fisher while waiting for the u/j to get here.

George

ashley needham
                                                Participant
                                                  @ashleyneedham69188

The thrift minded chap would cut the solid connector in half and solder a bar across one, and a fork on the other. Instant u/j!!!! Was a popular style of connector years ago.

Ashley

gecon
                                                  Participant
                                                    @gecon

I have had rather restricted facilities for model-making since moving from 3 floored house to 1/4-of-the-size flat about 20 years ago. Only actually started up again last year with the mad idea of scratchbiulding the Fisher34. Most items have to get 'sourced' rather than home-produced I'm afraid. Ashley may remember welcoming me to the forum last year in response to my post for info on the Fisher46 to which I had seen a reference from a report in an ancient issue of MB.

For now, the Fisher is going back on the slipway for staining work on the 'teak' bulwark capping strip and mahogany side cladding. So it's 'on' with the Corona face-mask and the powerfull kitchen extractor fan! It's only about 10 degrees outside so I can't use the balcony for paintwork yet.

Somehow I get the feeling that I'm talking to myself here! I'll probably dry up within the year -with luck.

George

Ray Wood 3
                                                    Participant
                                                      @raywood3

Hi George,

Your right we are mainly talking to ourselves 😀 but who cares !!

Regards Ray

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 52 total)