Bristol Channel Pilot Cutter

Advert

Bristol Channel Pilot Cutter

Home Forums Beginners Bristol Channel Pilot Cutter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 101 through 117 (of 117 total)
  • Author
    Ray Wood 3
    Participant
      @raywood3

Hi Dave,

Sorry to hear you have been afflicted with the Covid

Before I'd worry about the steering, I'd put some planks on the hull to keep the water out

Regards Ray

Advert
      Robc
      Participant
        @robc16634

Looks fantastic! Looking forward to seeing the finished hull.

Dave Cooper 6
        Participant
          @davecooper6

Thanks Rob,

Just started to plank some of the stern section. The rudder servo bearers are in and I've fitted a temporary rudder to work out the control runs etc.

I'll post some pic's when things are a little more advanced….

Regards,

Dave

ps We've got the builders in next week, I've had to do some quick catch-up work on the model railway to make extra room in the workshop. So, there will now be 'a short intermission' !

Dave Cooper 6
          Participant
            @davecooper6

A quick update : After nearly 4 months of building works (original quote – 2 weeks), and 3 personal, industrial injuries to me, the customer…. I finally get my workshop back !

So, with a stroke of luck, I can get the hull back on the workbench and carry on planking.

Note to all, this is not a good time to be getting tradespeople in for work on your property – be warned !

Best regards,

Dave

Dave Cooper 6
            Participant
              @davecooper6

Yachting experts please :

Is 30 degrees (60 inclusive) of rudder travel enough to cover all points of sailing ? I can get more but it means a bit of re-engineering at the transom. I'm using 'jury-rigged' hinges at the moment, so, professional ones may give some extra throw.

Just fitting some extra noggins in so there should be some photos of planking progress soon…

Cheers,

Dave

Ray Wood 3
              Participant
                @raywood3

Hi Dave,

That amount of rudder travel will be fine any more than that will just be a brake

It's not unusual for a scale rudders to not be effective , so I always drill a couple of holes in the blade to bolt on an extension if required

You should have asked me for a Gant or Logik linked Bar chart for your building works, that's what I do for a living !! The current project I'm programming is £8m in value should take 78 weeks

Regards Ray

Dave Cooper 6
                Participant
                  @davecooper6

Thanks Ray – yes, it looks about right. You've got me thinking about rudder area though – with the 'cut-out' for the prop' the area is reduced quite a bit. I may just add a bit more profile below the waterline just in case.

That's a sizeable project you've got going there. We did a fair amount of research and pre-planning on paper, but, have been badly let down by the various trades and other suppliers. .At one point, my son had to step in to 'rescue' the floor complete with the submerged electrics.

Hey ho, – we're nearly there, but, no one gets paid in full until everything is working properly !

Cheers for now,

Dave

ashley needham
                  Participant
                    @ashleyneedham69188

Dave, I go with Ray. There’s no such thing as ‘over ruddering’ (that a file won’t cure), but if the rudder is ineffective then enlarging the area afterwards can be tricky.

Holes to bolt a Perspex extension in place the perfect answer. Perspex/acrylic extensions invisible in the water and innocuous when out.

Ashley

Dave Cooper 6
                    Participant
                      @davecooper6

An interesting idea Ashley. I think I've got some Perspex left over from another project…

Bonus point : it saves me making a new rudder if the scale one doesn't work !

Cheers,

Dave

Dave Cooper 6
                      Participant
                        @davecooper6

Quick update :

I'm currently finishing a railway oil painting for someone (Lynton & Barnstable Narrow Gauge). As soon as this is done, I can get on with some more planking.

All this assuming I can afford to heat the jolly workshop ! Failing this, the hull will have to come 'in-doors' – Gasp, whatever will the management say…

Regards,

Dave

Dave Cooper 6
                        Participant
                          @davecooper6

Rudder now drilled to take a 'see-through' extension if needed.

A quick planking query : – some planks are not 100% abutted to the one below /above. The gaps are just a few thou' but probably enough to let water in…..

Gap filling ideas I have are :- P38 (or, similar), balsa sawdust and glue perhaps ? Other ? I'm currently working on the inner skin in balsa strip as it nicely follows the curve of the frames without steaming.

Probably not going to glass, but most likely an outer skin of obechi, lime or similar (I'll try a few test pieces first). The idea being for a 'natural' wood finish to show through. I'm open to all ideas though at this stage.

Cheers,

Dave

Colin Bishop
                            @colinbishop34627

The important thing is to fill the gaps with something which is not harder than the adjoining planks otherwise you can get high spots when sanding.

P38 is OK but I prefer Ronseal High Performance Wood Filler as it is a bit softer and specifically designed for wood. It also comes in white or light wood colour.

**LINK**

Colin

Dave Cooper 6
                            Participant
                              @davecooper6

Thanks Colin. The Ronseal Filler looks useful. I think I may have some on the shelf (just have to check it's age !).

Dave

Dave Cooper 6
                              Participant
                                @davecooper6

As my winter oil painting sessions now draw to a close, I have managed to sneak out into the workshop for a bit more planking at the stern.

The motor (DC brushed) is trial mounted and the rudder is jury-rigged to check clearances etc. around the prop'.

Planking is quite satisfying, but, time consuming as each 'plank' has to be cut from balsa stock…..noggins often have to be inserted here and there as the 3mm frames need extra support. Scarf joints are also needed due to hull length v. standard stock sizes……nobody ever said it would be easy ! Lots of learning on the job taking place as I go along – all part of the fun.

Photos soon,

Dave

Edited By Dave Cooper 6 on 02/03/2023 10:51:10

Dave Cooper 6
                                Participant
                                  @davecooper6

For general interest, I have been asked what were the subjects of the paintings :-

1. Lynton & Barnstaple Narrow Gauge railway

2. Ballet

I suppose I really should do a boat next !

Cheers for now,

Dave

Dave Cooper 6
                                  Participant
                                    @davecooper6

Planking proceeds at a snail's pace now that the workshop has warmed up a bit. I'll have to think about the mounting for the sail winch soon. Also thinking about taller plank sections to ease my burden a bit ! (Currently 6mm pitch).

bow planking.jpg

Edited By Dave Cooper 6 on 08/04/2023 16:24:07

Dave Cooper 6
                                    Participant
                                      @davecooper6

Just a quick progress update :-

I have now switched to 10mm tall planks (from the original 6mm) – hence planking has now doubled in progress ! These look fine where the radii of the frames are largest. However, for the tighter curves I think I may well revert to the 6mm planks…also, at bow and particularly stern sections, the 6's will be better suited to tapering and blending to form.

Before planking gets too advanced, I have to have in mind a couple of design items – ie the hull lower mast step plus the sail servo mount and sheet runs. The thinking at present is to have the two jibs and the two mains controlled by the same servo – I think this was Ray's suggestion and is sound thinking. I can't really see any need to go 'goose-winged' so probably best to keep things simple. I can always introduce a second sail servo at a later stage if necessary.

Photos to follow when things are a little more advanced,

Dave

Edited By Dave Cooper 6 on 21/08/2023 10:44:26

Viewing 17 posts - 101 through 117 (of 117 total)