Vic Smeed’s HMS Cossack MM500

Advert

Vic Smeed’s HMS Cossack MM500

Home Forums Build Blogs Vic Smeed’s HMS Cossack MM500

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 384 total)
  • Author
    Tim Cooper
    Participant
      @timcooper90034

Bigger workshop but don't think it will be ready till Winter. Maybe I will be ready early in the new year, I could start then and learn from your hard work but I am determined to finish the two I have started first.

Tim

Advert
      Eddie Lancaster
      Participant
        @eddielancaster

Good point Ray,we all build to the same plan.

Eddie.

Ray Wood 3
        Participant
          @raywood3

Hi All,

The plan is on order 😀

Regards Ray

Roger Clark
          Participant
            @rogerclark

Plans arrived today laugh

Roger

Eddie Lancaster
            Participant
              @eddielancaster

Your ahead alreadysad.

Eddie.

Ray Wood 3
              Participant
                @raywood3

Still waiting 😯

Ray

Tim Rowe
                Participant
                  @timrowe83142

I am about to be working away for a couple of weeks and there is a risk that the post here will send it back.

Looks like I might have to do some catching up to do build wise.

I am planning a build blog of course but when finished, it might not be christened Cossack but Ashanti.

Tim R

Colin Bishop
                    @colinbishop34627

A good name. Back in the day Dave Sambrook, who was a master model maker, built a scale model of Ashanti and won many awards with it.. It was one of the first models to feature extensive use of plasticard but unfortunately the quality of the material in those days was not good and after 10 years or so the plastic became brittle and disintegrated.

It was a wonderful model at the time though.

Colin

Ray Wood 3
                    Participant
                      @raywood3

Hi All,

Anymore for the mini mass build? 4 takers so far Roger, Eddie, Tim and I , will be an interesting build and a great model in the end, a Tribute to the late great Vic Smeed's design skills 😀

Regards Ray

Ray Wood 3
                      Participant
                        @raywood3

Hi Cossack's

My plan has arrived 😀 I may have to cut it in half for my local print shop to enlarge 127% to 96th scale.As their machine will only print A1 width.

Regards Rayimg_20190706_173052.jpg

Eddie Lancaster
                        Participant
                          @eddielancaster

Even'in Cap'n, my plans are in the post, expect them to be delivered on Monday, then off to the copy shop.

Regards.

Eddie

Ray Wood 3
                          Participant
                            @raywood3

Hi Eddie,

Receiving the drawing was like meeting an old friend again after 50 years since I built her the first time in 1969 , good level of detail, I think we have picked a good design. 😀

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 06/07/2019 20:42:01

Ian Jopson
                            Participant
                              @ianjopson21383

I remember my father building one of these in the '60s, but he never managed to complete it. Disappeared into a dustbin after his death. I still have the plan and have often been tempted, but far too many other projects on the list. I will watch developments with interest though.

Ray Wood 3
                              Participant
                                @raywood3

Hi Ian,

Yes I must admit to a certain nostalgic emotion regarding building another Cossack, but what the hell 😀 I learned so much from the HMS Diamond build, I'm looking forward to this one, today I had the plan enlarged by 127% to 1/96th scale so I am making some progress and only £4.50.

Regards Ray

Eddie Lancaster
                                Participant
                                  @eddielancaster

Hi.Ray, got the plans at lunch time. down to the copy shop got them enlarged and am now looking them over to see what materials I need, already have a list for the IOM. Will visit Inwoods at Huntigdon next week, finish the barges and then on with the new buildslaugh.

Regards.

Eddie.

John W E
                                  Participant
                                    @johnwe

hi there

been watching this with great interest as I have the plans for HMS Cossack by Vic Smeed – however, sadly though I fell foul of an auction site sale – when I received the plans (which were supposed to be original) they were a copy from the Magazine. Rather thick lines and the hull is 1/4 inch shorter than it should be. Hey ho or ho hey whatever, but – I must confess I am torn between HMS Lagos by Glynn Guest – as well as the Cossack – so that is why I will be hanging back a bit to see which way I fall on the fence and decide.

The other thing is with Vic Smeed's drawing – Vic increased the draught by half an inch on HMS Cossack to make the stability better. So how will this look if you increase the model scale to 1:96 for the model of HMS Cossack.

John

Colin Bishop
                                      @colinbishop34627

Looking back, I do seem to recall that my Cossack was rather tender so something to bear in mind when constructing the upperworks and choosing battery options.

Colin

Dave Milbourn
                                      Participant
                                        @davemilbourn48782

So how will this look if you increase the model scale to 1:96 for the model of HMS Cossack.

Surely it will look exactly the same as the smaller version, John – just larger…..or am I missing a vital detail?

DM

Ray Wood 3
                                        Participant
                                          @raywood3

Hi All

Yes the ship ends up 10" longer at 48" long for 1/96th scale , the base of the hull is 2nr sheets of 1/2" balsa as a part bread & butter system, they now have to be 5/8".

The only down side is the base sheet will need hollowing out to get the ballast as low as possible, not really a problem.

The waterline on the drawing is correct, just going to be another 1/2" under the water.

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 09/07/2019 11:50:38

Colin Bishop
                                            @colinbishop34627

A useful trick is to cut out the middle section of the base sheet and replace it with a plywood plate on the exterior which can be faired into the bottom around the edges.

Colin

Eddie Lancaster
                                            Participant
                                              @eddielancaster

I had thought of going the other way to get the ballast as low as possible, that is cut into the bottom of the hull and put some sheet lead in before it is glassed and epoxy covered.

Eddie.

Colin Bishop
                                                @colinbishop34627

That could be a bit risky Eddie as until the model is finished you may not be able to accurately work out how much ballast is needed and its placing. Better to give yourself some flexibility.

Colin

Ray Wood 3
                                                Participant
                                                  @raywood3

Hi All,

If you need an idea of weights for your running gear & ballast, wrap the bare wood hull in cling film with the waterline marked on and put it in the bath and see what it takes to getting to the marks allowing 1 1/2 lbs for the superstructure, you can then build it into the base of the hull as Eddie/Colin suggested. before glassing.

Regards Ray

ashley needham
                                                  Participant
                                                    @ashleyneedham69188

Getting the weight at the bottom is paramount (my opinion) unless you like building models that can only sail in calm conditions.

My Hasty has a steel flat keel & large bilge keels, and is very stable even in choppy weather. I have seen a pukka very nice TBD that whilst the dogs wotsits in the scale department, looked as if it was about to fall over just sitting still…

Ashley

hms hasty TBD

John W E
                                                    Participant
                                                      @johnwe

hi there

Ray, you are saying each balsa wood plank would need to be 5/8 thick – in that case – hows about sticking to the two 1/2 inch thick balsa wood sheets for the bottom? cutting the middle out and then sticking on the bottom one 1/4 inch thick either plywood or balsa wood – that should give you the correct thickness of planking. The other thing to take into consideration – if we read back and look what they suggest you power the model with – they are talking about an old Taycol motor or something and no doubt it will be the old fashioned cycle lamp battery (the 2 joined together which Everyready used to manufacture) – so, with todays modern technology either the motor/s are going to be a lot lighter and also you can replace the batteries with NiCads which can be low down in the hull.

The other thing is are you going to go twin motors or stick to the plan and build a gearbox or use pulleys to drive the 2 props with one motor.

john

Edited By John W E on 09/07/2019 17:08:21

Edited By John W E on 09/07/2019 17:09:13

Edited By John W E on 09/07/2019 17:10:18

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 384 total)