Tin Plate Hulls

Advert

Tin Plate Hulls

Home Forums Beginners Tin Plate Hulls

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Len Morris 2
    Participant
      @lenmorris2

Hi Everybody,

Can anybody tell me where in the forums there might be discussion about making tin plate hulls?

Regards, Len

Advert
      Len Morris 2
      Participant
        @lenmorris2
        Dave Reed
        Participant
          @davereed72029

Hi Len,

You might find this article an interesting read while you're waiting for an answer.

Dave

https://www.modelboats.co.uk/news/article/drink-cans-for-model-boat-construction/8337

Len Morris 2
          Participant
            @lenmorris2

Hi Dave,

Thanks for that it was very interesting. Surprised it was mainly about aluminium cans and various glues. Informative nevertheless.

My preferred 'glue' is solder. Easily applied, easily removed and sets instantly. It also means using steel tin plate.

I've built many tin plate hulls in the past but always over a wooden hull former. The latest project is building a hull with no former. Laying down the keel and ribs and then plating the skeleton.

I couldn't find anything on the forums. Maybe nobody bothers with tin plate these days. It was popular some 60 years ago and a chap called 'Norman A. Ough' set unbelievable award winning standards.

Regards, Len

Tony Hadley
            Participant
              @tonyhadley

Vanesa, a 22" tinplate design by J.E.Jane, from Practical Mechanics, August 1952. Also a larger 36" version available. They were designed for steam, either oscilator or turbine. The steam version was also in Model Boats magazine, January 1969.

If any further information would be useful, it would be best emailed, just too much for a forum post.

vanesa 22inch (1).jpg

vanesa 22inch (2).jpg

vanesa 22inch (3).jpg

vanesa 22inch (4).jpg

Len Morris 2
              Participant
                @lenmorris2

Hi Tony,

Thank you for posting that. Must have taken some time and very much appreciated. It's typical of what we did in the 50's and 60's when we had very little money. It was a time of solid irons heated with a paraffin blowlamp and solder in the form of plumbers bars. Nevertheless some fine models were made (mine were rubbish).

I hope to post some pictures soon of my current boat.

Best regards,

Len

Len Morris 2
                Participant
                  @lenmorris2

Thanks to all who replied to my original question. I've now started a new thread in the Scratch Build topics about my latest model "Tin Plate Clyde Puffer".

Best Regards,

Len

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)