Those Eureka moments!

Advert

Those Eureka moments!

Home Forums Soapbox Those Eureka moments!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 142 total)
  • Author
    Kimosubby Shipyards
    Participant
      @kimosubbyshipyards

Hi Bob,

the templates came direct from a paper card kit that was a free download on a card modelling forum that I joined about Christmas time. I neede them to be light and hollow as I plan to put miniature electronics inside.

They were build at a request of a RYA day skipper trainer, he wanted a set to show to students exactly what a marine navigation buoy could look like, especially the colours and light characteristics. As you know there are set patterns under IALA for modern buoys.

Kim.

Advert
      ashley needham
      Participant
        @ashleyneedham69188

Bob. Good tip for bending planks easily.

Kimo. Great bouys! Had little plain wooden shapes painted red or green when we were doing navigation in the sea cadets!!

Small eureka moment.. needed to paint the inside of some tubes black, so cut a small bit of sponge and poked the end of a BBQ skewer in it,,,dipped it in black paint and just eased the sponge in and drew it through…just like sponging out a cannon! job done in a matter of seconds (and I had been thinking about how tricky it was going to be to paint these tubes for ages!)

Ashley

Bob Abell 2
        Participant
          @bobabell2

Just had a brill idea!…………..(Yawn)

It`s a garden hoe with a torque handle!………..(What?)

It`s a hoe with attitude!……………..(Tell me more, my son!)

When I use the hoe, I find it hard work turning over the soil, due to no handle……….(You wimp!)

So I added a torque handle and boy!…..Does it work!……………….(Wow, what a brill idea!)

hoe.jpg

"Errrr………What`s this got to do with model boats?"……..I hear you say

Easy……..The Wife said……"If yer don`t gerrin that gardin an` do summut,…….yer doin` no more model boats!"

Nuff said?……….Bob

LARRY WHETTON
          Participant
            @larrywhetton68737

Hello Bob,

My good lady , is giving me greif to decorate the lounge ,

having usal paint color sceme battle angry 2 i hiden the fire wood axe and locked away the wheely bin..

HOE HOE HOE wink Larry….

Bob Abell 2
            Participant
              @bobabell2

Be a bizzy Bee, this year…..Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

This has nothing to do with model boats, except for the fact that I'm using a very soft model brush!

Due to the shortage of Bees……..you will need to get the brush out and dab all the fruit tree flowers in the garden, over several days…..Otherwise you won't get any fruit this year!

Apologies to the non Gardeners in our midst!

Bob Greenfingers

ARTHUR COLLETT
              Participant
                @arthurcollett48040

If the wife nags me to do something i will do it. No need to remind me every six months. LoL

ARTHUR COLLETT
                Participant
                  @arthurcollett48040

If the wife nags me to do something i will do it. No need to remind me every six months. LoL

ARTHUR COLLETT
                  Participant
                    @arthurcollett48040

Kimosubby Shipyards
                    Participant
                      @kimosubbyshipyards

Thought you'd had a moment there Bob, and stuck a *uddy great blue mast on Glasgow!

The handle idea looks good, I like my spades to have a T handle too. That hoe is one we use, but mainly for braking down the clods after the Winter dig. We have a sloping heart shaped weeding hoe which works very well, from Dobbies.

We only have a cherry tree, and the birds always beat us to the fruit on that. We appear to have plenty of bees about too. Our allotment has loads of the solitary bees that tunnel in the ground and collect insect larva to bury.

Oh and we have a pair of wrens that "own" our storage and composting area.

Everything is growing nicely, next week its in with the beans – then the wind will really come back and give them a thrashing.

A quick eureka moment – when drilling perspex go as slow as possible, it stops the stuff melting and jamming up the drill bit which causes hole distortion. Nothing worse than a distorted hole.

Back to the rigging on the 36, cheers, Kim

Kimosubby Shipyards
                      Participant
                        @kimosubbyshipyards

Thought you'd had a moment there Bob, and stuck a *uddy great blue mast on Glasgow!

The handle idea looks good, I like my spades to have a T handle too. That hoe is one we use, but mainly for braking down the clods after the Winter dig. We have a sloping heart shaped weeding hoe which works very well, from Dobbies.

We only have a cherry tree, and the birds always beat us to the fruit on that. We appear to have plenty of bees about too. Our allotment has loads of the solitary bees that tunnel in the ground and collect insect larva to bury.

Everything is growing nicely, next week its in with the beans – then the wind will really come back and give them a thrashing.

A quick eureka moment – when drilling perspex go as slow as possible, it stops the stuff melting and jamming up the drill bit which causes hole distortion. Nothing worse than a distorted hole.

Kimosubby Shipyards
                        Participant
                          @kimosubbyshipyards

Kimosubby Shipyards
                          Participant
                            @kimosubbyshipyards

Bob,

a proper eureka for all – when I made up the fittings for the 36 some being brass silver soldered to copper looked dull and tarnished. I had a pot of "silver dip" doing nothing, so tried suspending a fitting in the dip.

Er, forgot the time, it says 5 minutes max (for silver) and after about 20 mins took fitting out. It came out looking like new brass and copper all the tarnishing had gone – so a quick polish and its all clean and shiney and I did the rest.

Kimosubby.

Kimosubby Shipyards
                            Participant
                              @kimosubbyshipyards

Bob,

a proper eureka for all – when I made up the fittings for the 36 some being brass silver soldered to copper looked dull and tarnished. I had a pot of "silver dip" doing nothing, so tried suspending a fitting in the dip.

Er, forgot the time, it says 5 minutes max (for silver) and after about 20 mins took fitting out. It came out looking like new brass and copper all the tarnishing had gone – so a quick polish and its all clean and shiney and I did the rest.

Kimosubby.

Kimosubby Shipyards
                              Participant
                                @kimosubbyshipyards

Bob,

Kimosubby.

Bob Abell 2
                                Participant
                                  @bobabell2

Thanks Kimmo

How about a few pix of your new finish fittings?

Bob

Bob Abell 2
                                  Participant
                                    @bobabell2

Thanks Kimmo

Bob

Bob Abell 2
                                    Participant
                                      @bobabell2

Thanks Kimmo

Bob

Kimosubby Shipyards
                                      Participant
                                        @kimosubbyshipyards

Your wish…… these are the originals, not dipped

silvermast.jpg

silverdmast.jpg

and here's the spreaders dipped and buffed

silverdmasttop.jpg

and here's the shiney top fitting for shrouds and stays.

silvertest_1.jpg

So from this, direct from the heat mat, 15 minutes in the dip, and a little buffing with Autosol to this

silvettest_5.jpg

It would normally take about 10 minutes hard work with the buffer pads in the flexi drill lead to get anywhere near this.

Kim

Kimosubby Shipyards
                                        Participant
                                          @kimosubbyshipyards

silvermast.jpg

silverdmast.jpg

silverdmasttop.jpg

silvertest_1.jpg

So from this, direct from the heat mat, 15 minutes in the dip, and a little buffing with Autosol to this

silvettest_5.jpg

It would normally take about 10 minutes hard work with the buffer pads in the flexi drill lead to get anywhere near this.

Kim

Kimosubby Shipyards
                                          Participant
                                            @kimosubbyshipyards

silvermast.jpg

silverdmast.jpg

silverdmasttop.jpg

silvertest_1.jpg

silvettest_5.jpg

Kim

Bob Abell 2
                                            Participant
                                              @bobabell2

Nice work, Kimmo

I like the silver soldering………Nice and strong!

I once silver soldered a 3 1/2" loco boiler many moons ago, what a big job that was!

Bob

Bob Abell 2
                                              Participant
                                                @bobabell2

Nice work, Kimmo

I like the silver soldering………Nice and strong!

I once silver soldered a 3 1/2" loco boiler many moons ago, what a big job that was!

Bob

Bob Abell 2
                                                Participant
                                                  @bobabell2

Just an idea from yesteryear…..

I needed a quick way of assembling mast rings to the main sail of Pocahontas

Plastic cable sheathing with brass wire inside, no need to dismantle the rigging to fit and no sewing either

ring closed.jpg

ring open.jpg

Bob

Kimosubby Shipyards
                                                  Participant
                                                    @kimosubbyshipyards

Now you' made me think again Bob, I was going to add a jackstay to the yacht and use luff hooks But this idea of yours has real potential!

Great moment, thanks Kim.

Kimosubby Shipyards
                                                    Participant
                                                      @kimosubbyshipyards

I was lofting the sails on the dining room table, and I wanted to draw on the long curve for the roach of them. The problem was this line was over 1.2m long and I required a flexible straight edge to fit the curve.

First I overlapped two lengths of 10mm aluminium strip and sellotaped together. Then, the eureka, I used cans of beans from the cupboard to act as anchor points for the aluminium strip on each. [note other canned produce and providers of beans can be used].

Kim.

loftingthesails.jpg

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 142 total)