Sea Urchin 28

Advert

Sea Urchin 28

Home Forums Build Blogs Sea Urchin 28

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Ray Wood 3
    Participant
      @raywood3

su 1a 210722.jpgHi All,

Well you all must know I'm nostalgic about the Aerokits designs and being the first one I attempted to build back in 1966 I thought it was time to build a slightly bigger version, the original was 16" long and the baby of the fleet, bit of a fiddle to build with 1/16" ply sides and bottom !! Plus in the 60's there was little in the way of Health & Safety (we were tough) so it was put together with Aerolite 306 wood glue and acid hardener , and it didn't half sting

Well with the plan and elevation blown up to 28" LOA I have drafted the bulkheads and away we go, just waiting for some ply from SLEC.

Regards Raysu 1 210722.jpg

Advert
      Ray Wood 3
      Participant
        @raywood3

Aerokits – Plans – Build of Les Rowell Design

Tim Rowe
        Participant
          @timrowe83142

Hi Ray

I have already bought shares in SLEC.

Tell me what paints you are using and I will buy shares with them too! smiley

Tim R

harry smith 1
          Participant
            @harrysmith1

Hi Ray

Yes, 28" a lot better size and will make it a lot easier build !!!

I resized the plan to 915mm, but, too many other projects to do first.

Two Spearfish, a Slo-Mo-Shun, Bugsier Tug, Aeronaut Spitfire and two other unknown ones.

A nice cold 14C today, but, it's Winter down under !!!!!!

Harry

Ray Wood 3
            Participant
              @raywood3

Hello Tim,

I try to use Humbrol oil base enamels, but they are in the process of re-formulating their paints and if it goes acrylic water based I won't be using it, doesn't seem right on a boat somehow

So for basic colours like white I may invest in some International Yacht enamel, I know Chris has bought some for the Faireys .

Harry,

We wouldn't mind some winter here it was 39 deg's here on Tuesday !! I think I'm using the drawing you pdf'd me a while back many thanks

Regards Ray

Tim Rowe
              Participant
                @timrowe83142

Hi Ray

International Yacht Enamel is nice to use and has a lovely smell. You may find you need to use their undercoats as well to get good coverage.

I am using Interprotect, which is two-pack epoxy primer on the Thames Barge Kimberley. It was a bit expensive but goes a long way. It is amazing how it hardens up balsa and is very easy to sand. The shelf life is good so it will last for many models and hopefully end up being good value.

I have been mainly lurking for quite a while but watching with interest the various projects underway.

Tim R

Ray Wood 3
                Participant
                  @raywood3

Hi All,

Well the Urchin is progressing with 1/32" ply bottom panels, templated on a sheet of cartridge paper, I'm moving away from brass pins these days to steel veneer pins to hold things in place then taken out & P38 filled, I will be usingse 2 280722.jpg 1/16" for the side skins to make her tough as this one is destined for a grandson at some stage

Regards Ray

Chris Fellows
                  Participant
                    @chrisfellows72943
                    Posted by Tim Rowe on 21/07/2022 17:50:11:

Hi Ray

International Yacht Enamel is nice to use and has a lovely smell. You may find you need to use their undercoats as well to get good coverage.

I am using Interprotect, which is two-pack epoxy primer on the Thames Barge Kimberley. It was a bit expensive but goes a long way. It is amazing how it hardens up balsa and is very easy to sand. The shelf life is good so it will last for many models and hopefully end up being good value.

I have been mainly lurking for quite a while but watching with interest the various projects underway.

Tim R

That's good to know Tim, I might even get away with using it in the house if needs be!

Yes, I bought their white and blue ONE UP undercoats.

Chris

Ray Wood 3
                    Participant
                      @raywood3

Hi All,

The Urchin has jumped off the board into it's stand so the upper works can begin

The block section below the chine at the bow will be Styrofoam carved and sanded to shape then just that part glass clothed for strength and make it ding proof. All the internal joints have been filleted with Gorilla glue, gone for the radius'd transom as nice feature onto which the rudder will be hung on pintels of some sort.

The Swiss cheese look is to keep the bow light in weight as she was designed strong for IC power not required so much now, I was tempted to put a glo motor in her but it would cut down where she could be run these days.

Regards Raysu 3 010822.jpg

Ray Wood 3
                      Participant
                        @raywood3

Hi All,

The Urchin is still progressing, a very enjoyable build, I will be buying some bits & bobs soon 600 brushed from the motor pool should do

Regards Raysu 4 050822.jpg

harry smith 1
                        Participant
                          @harrysmith1

Hi Ray

Nice looking Boat .

Chine and spray rails??

The 600 may give it a good cruise speed.

Harry

Ray Wood 3
                          Participant
                            @raywood3

Hi Harry,

Yes all the go faster features, I had thought to make her into a Wolf in sheep's clothing with a decent brushless

Most of the old Aerokit's boats at my club are brushless powered and go like stink !!!

Regards Ray

harry smith 1
                            Participant
                              @harrysmith1

Hi Ray

The Banggood Surpass Hobby C3542-1450kv is a good motor(1050Watts on 4S).

But for your boat 3S would do.

On 4S you would in front of the others.

I have six boats with this motor in them.

My Spearfish and Spear, I am going with Hobbyking 3648-1450kv on 4S ( they are rated at 6S 1600Watts).

A beast of a motor.

Harry

Ray Wood 3
                              Participant
                                @raywood3

Hi All.

The Urchin is coming along now with the side decks in place and just framing for the cabin roof, I have gone for the radiused transom as it's much prettier, I'm now looking forward to the rudder which will be hinged on some pintels & gudgeon's on the transom, a nice different feature on this design, I splashed out on the running gear with the stern tube 10" 4mm fitted with a 35 mm 3 blade brass prop & Huco type coupling, we will go with the 600 brushed at this stage The cockpit floor will have bench/locker seats both sides for the batteries.

Regards Raysu 5 070822.jpg

Ray Wood 3
                                Participant
                                  @raywood3

su 6 100822.jpgHi All,

Maybe it's this hot weather ? but I have reached a point with the Urchin where most of the heavy woodwork is complete and fancy a short intermission …………….. So I'll be finishing this Hawker Hurricane , it was originally built for an OS Four Stroke, but now realise I'm much more likely to fly her if it's electric powered, It also has electric retracts, designed by Tony Nijhuis and is 62" span should weight around 8 lbs AUW happy days

Regards Ray62 h hurricane 1.jpg

Richard Simpson
                                  Participant
                                    @richardsimpson88330

As always Ray lovely bit of woodwork. Lovely Hurricane as well that rear ribbing will look spot on when covered.

Ray Wood 3
                                    Participant
                                      @raywood3

su 6 bf bow.jpgsu 7 bow blocks.jpgHi all,

I'm back on the Urchin for a while, I now remember boat building is cheap in comparison to RC flying models the Hurricane needs around £450 spent on it in parts to get in the air with electric power !! electric retracts are £170 !!su8 cabin hatch.jpg

Still here are the blue/Styro foam bow blocks, they are now insitu sanded and glass clothed with water based resin, the side bench seats will house the batteries, one pack each side, the sliding cabin hatch just makes it more like a real little 16 – 18' dayboat, rudder next on the transom

Regards Ray

Ray Wood 3
                                      Participant
                                        @raywood3

Hi all,

This is what I like about building boats, most of the materials come from the scrap box Admittedly It's a big box !

Some brass angle & strips with a pin to secure, job done, I'm rather tempted to just varnish the whole boat ??

Regards Raysu 9 rudder 190822.jpg

Richard Simpson
                                        Participant
                                          @richardsimpson88330

Man after my own heart Ray. I would always rather varnish a piece of wood than paint it. Even ply. It just looks so much better.

Ray Wood 3
                                          Participant
                                            @raywood3

sea hornet minor nov 16.jpgHi all,

Good to see my scaled down redrafted  plan being used for the larger version of Les Rowell's Sea Hornet featured in this month's magazine as a platform for De-luxe products

Not sure if the plan is still available , built with balsa a pocket money sized 400 powered boat .

Regards Rayhh cul june16 018.jpg

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 21/08/2022 11:52:43

Ray Wood 3
                                            Participant
                                              @raywood3

su 11.jpgsu 10.jpgHi All,

Well it's raining again so I thought I'd carry on with the Urchin, quite happy with just varnish all over it brings out the colour of the ply and mahogany parts, simple linkage from the servo under the rear deck to the tiller, the helmsman may be slightly big ! but I have a smaller guy , I think the real boat would have been 16' – 18' long so not that far out. the electric Hurricane is progressing in the background

Regards Raysu 9.jpg

ashley needham
                                              Participant
                                                @ashleyneedham69188

Cor Ray. Trains, boats and planes! A man of multiple faiths!

Know what you mean about the varnish. There comes a time in a build when the whole thing is wood and looks so nice you don’t want to paint it.

Ashley

Chris E
                                                Participant
                                                  @chrise

Yes a skillfully built fully varnished wood model does look great but does the blue foam bow section look equally good or is it going to force a water line down paintjob? Looking at the photo this might already have been done.

Edited By Chris E on 15/09/2022 11:18:45

Chris Fellows
                                                  Participant
                                                    @chrisfellows72943

Looking good as usual Ray. Interesting way of operating the rudder, hadn't seen that before. Will bear in mind for my Faun build.

As per earlier post I don't think this is designed for speed though!

Chris

Ray Wood 3
                                                    Participant
                                                      @raywood3

Hello Chris & Chris,

No paint going on this model, at a recent model show while on the club stand it became very apparent that the general public have no idea what a model is constructed from once it's painted , it could be grp or ready to run so some old fashion woodwork is on view so this is my show boat

Regards Ray

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)