Sea Queen 46″ Cruiser

Advert

Sea Queen 46″ Cruiser

Home Forums Build Blogs Sea Queen 46″ Cruiser

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Ray Wood 3
    Participant
      @raywood3

sq1.jpgHi All,

As I have not started a new boat for a couple of weeks and with some more time off over the Easter holidays I thought it was time for a new Sea Queen as I just enjoy building, this will be the third I've built, the first in the 1970's from the Aerokits kit, then the modern kit by Jontika around 7 years ago, but this time just from the original Les Rowell drawing, so I re-drew the bulkheads and with £90.00 of ply wood from SLEC here we go !! for anybody not familiar with the design she is 46" by 14" beam and a sort of Broads or Thames cabin cruiser.  Regards Raysq2.jpg

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 14/04/2022 19:37:03

Advert
      Ray Wood 3
      Participant
        @raywood3

Build from original Aerokits Plan

Chris Fellows
        Participant
          @chrisfellows72943

Hi Ray

I seem to remember you mentioning recently that you were going to build another, so good to see you have started. I also remember you saying you might build another Huntsman 31 at some point!

Chris

gecon
          Participant
            @gecon

Hi Ray,

you really are keen…yet another build from 'scratch'. I had a S-Q at boarding school! Bought it second hand. I think it had a fibreglass hull. Fitted with an Ohlsonn Rice (?) 22cc petrol with a pull-starter. 2 Channel OS reed R/C. Clocked it at 12 knots (I think) allongside my friends full size speedboat.smiley

As it's Easter, you'll be finished by next weekend?

Happy Easter,

George

Richard Simpson
            Participant
              @richardsimpson88330

Very neat woodwork Ray is that using a jig saw or a band saw?

Ray Wood 3
              Participant
                @raywood3

sea queen dec 17 002.jpgHi Richard,

My Axminster bandsaw has paid for it's self just on the saving on not buying another kit kids m 230516 009.jpg, best thing since the Permagrit sanding blocks were invented

George,

Just waiting for the paint to dry ! will try it out this afternoon

Happy Easter All,

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 15/04/2022 09:29:14

Chris E
                Participant
                  @chrise

That looks a lovely model.

Whilst I know that a skilled individual can draw them I am sure that there is a market for the bulkhead drawings.

Richard Simpson
                  Participant
                    @richardsimpson88330

Interesting Ray. I treat myself to an Axminster band saw only a few months ago and I was immediately asking myself why I didn't do it years ago. It is a superb piece of kit, well made and incredibly flexible. I actually used it to cut resin model railway buildings diagonally in half so I could put them against the back scene and it cut them beautifully.

It certainly made a beautiful job of your framework parts.

Ray Wood 3
                    Participant
                      @raywood3

sq4.jpgHi All,

Well 4 days into the Big Brother House !! plus a couple for cutting out the main parts, we have something which looks like a boat

Being too mean to buy the kit at £250 but it's really good value as it's very accurate and just sluts together, you get the running gear included, which will cost me another £50.00 from Cornwall Model Boats this week.

Quite a few 1" diameter holes with my Starrett cutter to keep the bows lighter.

Stringers at deck & chine levels next which are 1/8" X 3/8" Obeche.

Regards Raysq3.jpg

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 18/04/2022 18:57:47

Ray Wood 3
                      Participant
                        @raywood3

sq & osprey 210422.jpgHi All,

The holiday project had a break yesterday morning my first time on the water this year and catching up with friends Peter & Phil and many other Chantry members, I took Tiny Mite the barge yacht built by the master !! Peter Simmonds and the Osprey trip boat

Regards Raytm 200422.jpg

Richard Simpson
                        Participant
                          @richardsimpson88330

Those Thames barges do look serene and peaceful on the water. Beautiful model.

Ray Wood 3
                          Participant
                            @raywood3

sq5.jpgHi all,

Well the stern tube, & rudder turned up today, always good to see if it will fit in the opening left for it, so for good measure I cross cut a length of 5/16" BMS rod and use it as a finishing drill for the stern tube, which worked well and the first bottom skin is on using a paper template to achieve the right shape

Regards Raysq6.jpg

Ray Wood 3
                            Participant
                              @raywood3

Hi All,

Rather a coincidence the other threads question about pins through 1/16" ply there have been plenty of places on the Sea Queen that needed pinning but once the Gorilla glue has set I pull them out and fill the holes with P38 filler, as I use a small block plane to remove the excess sheeting at the deck & chine levels and pins if left in takes chunks out of the blade, will be doing a radiused transom on this one to make it different from the others SQ'ssq7.jpg I've built.

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 25/04/2022 16:05:17

Ray Wood 3
                              Participant
                                @raywood3

Hi All,

In an effort to make this Sea Queen the de-luxe version , here is the flat transom with the radiused build up ready for her 1.5mm mahogany overlay, fixed without pins Duct Tape to the rescue !!

Regards Raysq8.jpg

Ray Wood 3
                                Participant
                                  @raywood3

Hi All,

Well the tape worked for gluing the mahogany in place , I did try dampening it and leaving it over a former to dry overnight to get a curve first but that was a waste of time it just sprang back flat

So with a couple of coats of varnish to stop any paint from spoiling the timber, I'm now moving onto the decks, then the cabin roofs .

Could be in the water for the Jubilee holidaysq9.jpg

Happy Bank holiday weekend folks

Regards Ray

Richard Simpson
                                  Participant
                                    @richardsimpson88330

Very neat Ray. The curved transom looks so much better than flat.

Chris Fellows
                                    Participant
                                      @chrisfellows72943

As Richard says, very smart. The speed of your builds always amazes me Ray.

I've been side-tracked the last few weeks but hoping to get back into it soon.

Chris

Ray Wood 3
                                      Participant
                                        @raywood3

sq11.jpgHi All,

Well the old classic has progressed and made it out into the sunshine for a photo shoot

Cabin roofs and cockpit floor next

Tricky question this morning from my wife "what are you going to do with all these boats" not too sure

Regards Raysq12.jpg

Will Mason 1
                                        Participant
                                          @willmason1

It could have been worse Ray, your wife could have referred to them as 'spare boats', or asked which ones you are going to sell surprise

Transom looks great and a nice change from the standard flat item.

Looking forward to seeing her on the water (Sea Queen, not Wife!)

Will

Ray Wood 3
                                          Participant
                                            @raywood3

Hi All,

Well most of the major woodwork is in place, next will be rubbing strips, window frames and cockpit detailing, Its hard to fine crew as she is a semi scale design, but the Doctor Who chaps should look about right.

Like Bob's comments plenty of hits but only few comments, but maybe help persuade somebody to build one

Regards Raysq14.jpg

harry smith 1
                                            Participant
                                              @harrysmith1

Hi Ray

Nice work and love the redesign stern.

What's the plan for power ??

50mm brushless ???

Harry

Ray Wood 3
                                              Participant
                                                @raywood3

Hi Harry,

I hope all is well with you and the gang down under ? the Sea Queen will be a very sedate old girl with a brushed 850 motor current in line for installation……………………….. But will make the mount interchangable for brushless, A friend of mine has given me a Spitfire 3D printed 72" span which has a huge brushless motor about 60mm diameter for 6 cells, I'm tempted to see how it would go I will keep you posted..

While your on do you have the Aerokits PT109 plan as a PDF ? I'm sure you sent it to me a few years back when I was at a different company.

I thought it would make a good free plan for the magazine but built slightly smaller to fit on an A! sheet, I did have a smaller balsa version of Sea Hornet published a few years ago and it was popular

All the best Ray

Will Mason 1
                                                Participant
                                                  @willmason1

Hi Ray, I'll double check later, but I think I may have the Aerokits PT plan. If so, I'll send you a copy.

Will

Ray Wood 3
                                                  Participant
                                                    @raywood3

Hi Will,

I have sent you a PM with contact details

Regards Ray

Ray Wood 3
                                                    Participant
                                                      @raywood3

Hi Will,

Please forget my last, Harry has come up trumps with the plan, I only just checked my email in box !!

Regards Ray

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 47 total)