Sea Queen 46″ Cruiser

Advert

Sea Queen 46″ Cruiser

Home Forums Build Blogs Sea Queen 46″ Cruiser

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Will Mason 1
    Participant
      @willmason1

Hi ray, I have only just seen your comment on here and have already sent the email.

Not a problem and glad to hear you are sorted now though.

Will

Advert
      Ray Wood 3
      Participant
        @raywood3

sq15.jpgHi All,

Another task is the rubbing strips at the gunwhale level and the chine spray rail, which is not stock on the design but will help her get up and plane and stay drier, If I fit the the big brushless motor at a later date. Will be trying to make her look like a proper broads cruiser with the folding down cockpit roof , like my first design published in Model Boats magazine nearly 20 years ago called Margoletta.

Regards Raysq17.jpg

Ray Wood 3
        Participant
          @raywood3

Hi All,

Here's Margoletta 24" long was a free plan, for anybody not buying the mag back then, still a favourite of mine.

The name obviously borrowed from the Arthur Ransome book Coot Club, which I thought was apt hh cul june16 019.jpg

Regards Ray

Ray Wood 3
          Participant
            @raywood3

sq19.jpgHi All,

Here is one of my upgrades to make our Sea Queen more scale like, the doors to the rear cabin need to be put into a well with steps down which allows the doors to open, which they won't but could do and allow folk to larger than 3' tall to get in the cabin, the panelled doors have a way to go but Harry P is trying out the theory

There will also be a sliding hatch on the rear cabin roof to cater for his tall dad !

Regards Raysq18.jpg

Chris Fellows
            Participant
              @chrisfellows72943

Hi Ray

Don't have that problem with my Faireys as the steps are inside the cabin.

Chris

Ray Wood 3
              Participant
                @raywood3

sq20.jpgHi All,

As I was too lazy to actually plank the decks so I opted for the black ink pen and a few plank joins to break it up.

Pleased with the toe rails from 1/8"X 1/8" obeche, so I hope the crew won't fall overboard now !!

The birch ply always looks rather anaemic varnished without colour so has been stained with light oak was, use anything like Burmese Teak and you won't see all those lines ever again

Next a couple of coats of satin varnish on the deck before I start painting the hull .

Regards Raysq21.jpg

Chris Fellows
                Participant
                  @chrisfellows72943

Taking shape nicely now Ray.

Chris

Ray Wood 3
                  Participant
                    @raywood3

Hi All,

With a discussion on another thread about painting recently, here is how I'm doing it on a plywood boat, a nice rub down with fine paper and some universal oil based primer, I would not use water based paint on a fullsize boat so our smaller version deserves the best in my view, even if it will never be in the water for very long periods, Humbrol enamel is all I've ever used for the last 60 years so I'm not going to change now, and the larger size 50ml size tins are available again after many years off the shelves

Some mahogany cabin roof grab rails and deck are already sealed with varnish, I have epoxied the stern tube in and fitted the rudder, but you can'tsq22.jpg that in this shot.

Regards Ray

Ray Wood 3
                    Participant
                      @raywood3

Hi All,

Received bad news yesterday whilst at my local model boat shop at Chatham Dockyard I learned from Rob that Humbrol have stopped manufacturing oil based enamel because some part of the paint is banned, I will savour my current stocks

What next ?? a ban on water because it's too wet

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 23/05/2022 14:56:20

Colin Bishop
                        @colinbishop34627

There was a fuss about this back in March – Google Humbrol paints banned – the enamels contain the anti skinning agent MEKO which has been classified as carcinogenic.

Colin

Ray Wood 3
                        Participant
                          @raywood3

Hi Colin,

Well that's me 2 months behind as usual !! I'd better stop drinking the stuff now

Most of my Humbrol enamel I use for my plastic modelling is 30 years plus old now but I have a huge range of colours .

Regards Ray

Ray Wood 3
                          Participant
                            @raywood3

sq painted.jpgHi All,

This is the boring part, painting ! and compounded the situation by me using white primer and trying to cover it with Humbrol green 3 coats so far and putting the boot topping in by hand in red is my favourite scheme. Window frames & portlights to turn from brass next

Didn't quite manage to finish before the Jubilee but pretty close !!

(Started 14th April)

Regards Raysq painted stern.jpg

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 30/05/2022 18:58:11

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 30/05/2022 18:58:37

Ray Wood 3
                            Participant
                              @raywood3

Happy Jubilee weekend everyone,

Glad the weather was kind to us on Thursday & Friday, but has now turned into good building weather down here in Kent

Well the Sea Queen is nearly there 99%,I'm now starting to get bored and move on to rigging the Silhouette I built a while back this week

Regards Raysq last 050622.jpg

Richard Simpson
                              Participant
                                @richardsimpson88330

Well Ray I have to admit I have never really had much time for this style of model boat however yours shows perfectly just how good one of these can actually look when put together well. Lovely job.

Ray Wood 3
                                Participant
                                  @raywood3

Thanks Richard,

You know building is my therapy , maybe I should fit it with a flash steam plant that would be different

Regards Ray

ashley needham
                                  Participant
                                    @ashleyneedham69188

Yes very nice Ray as usual, as per Richard, not particularly my style (but what is????)

Humbrol Carcinogenic eh???? Thats all of us done for eh?

Ashley

Ray Wood 3
                                    Participant
                                      @raywood3

Hi All,

Jumping back onto the Sea Queen for some finishing touches, here Harry P wonders if he will get a helmsman seat to sit on ?? I seem to remember the old broads cruisers having a big lever from the gearbox for forward & reverse

Regards Raysq harry helm.jpg

Colin Bishop
                                        @colinbishop34627

That guy looks a bit of a midget!

Colin

gecon
                                        Participant
                                          @gecon

Herry P was a little lad. The sea Q is a big girl.

Nice woodwork too, not that we would expect otherwise.

George

Ray Wood 3
                                          Participant
                                            @raywood3

Hello George,

Yes he is only a little chap, but swopped him for Doctor Who for the sea trials, well it crept round the lake at almost scale speed to shouts of put a big brushless motor in it !! well yes it was sedate on 6 volts for the 850, but next time we will try 12volts for a bit of Time Travel

Good morning with friends putting the world to rights and sailing my Micro Magic.

Regards Raysq bw 300722.jpg

gecon
                                            Participant
                                              @gecon

Well, she is a sort of 'broads cruiser' and not a 'Huntsman', so a sedate glide around the pound is in order I think.

And she floats nicely to her marks, something which I always seem to struggle with. But then I've only built 3 boats !

George

Ray Wood 3
                                              Participant
                                                @raywood3

hh cul june16 019.jpgHi George,

You have made 3 exceptionally nice boats, where as knock them out a an alarming rate then wonder why, but I long ago stopped questioning why I wanted to build the latest one

Yes the Sea Queen looks a bit to posh for your average wooden Broads Cruiser, my first design for Model Boats was Margoletta, much more in the style of the Broads boats.

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 31/07/2022 11:12:20

Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)