Sea Breeze – Vintage Model Boat Company

Advert

Sea Breeze – Vintage Model Boat Company

Home Forums Build Blogs Sea Breeze – Vintage Model Boat Company

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 231 total)
  • Author
    Graham Ashby 1
    Participant
      @grahamashby1

Well, it's humble but I couldn't help liking this one so I've cleared a space on my workbench and made a start. It's a nostalgia thing really. About 30 years ago I built what I believe was a Sea Hornet from the same company. I'm not sure why but I sold it – ready to go (complete with O.S. 10) – before it had even seen water. Typically, the guy who bought it loved it to bits, ran if for years thereafter and I've regretted selling it ever since. Anyway, I'll not make the same mistake again, so here goes…img_6041.jpg

Advert
      Graham Ashby 1
      Participant
        @grahamashby1
        Colin Bishop
          @colinbishop34627

Enjoy the build Graham. Today's motors mean that you wil get the performance to match the design.

Colin

Graham Ashby 1
          Participant
            @grahamashby1

Thanks Colin, so far so good. Haven't even considered the choice of motor, controller and battery yet. Something nippy, I think.

harry smith 1
            Participant
              @harrysmith1

Hi Graham

Will be watching your built, as I built a Sea Hornet from my mates Aerokits plan.

I used a 28mm brushless motor with a 45A ESC, a 3S Lipo battery and a 2 blade 32mm prop.

A 1200 to 1900kv motor is a good range.

I installed a B28-57-15L 1900kv 750 watt beast in the Hornet.

Harry Smith

Graham Ashby 1
              Participant
                @grahamashby1

Morning Harry,

Ah, good news! Post a few pics if you have them, I'd love to see it. How does it go on that set-up, I'm guessing quite well? I have more than enough 3S packs kicking around, that's for sure.

harry smith 1
                Participant
                  @harrysmith1

Hi Graham

A link to my Sea Hornet **LINK**

Clocked on GPS at 45KPH !!!

Harry

Dave Milbourn
                  Participant
                    @davemilbourn48782

Graham

Harry isn't known as Harry the Larrikin for nothing. His need for speed is legendary and he has a "practice lake" about five km square, with his own private jetty! Tasmania, it seems, is a bit bigger than Surrey and Harry "does it his way"….

If your idea of a model boat is something that sails nearer to a scale-ish speed but with a LITTLE bit in reserve then I'd suggest adopting running gear similar to that in my Huntress i.e. 750kv 2836/11 Turnigy outrunner, 30A ESC, 3S LiPo and 3-blade 1.4" dia scale prop. There's a link to You Tube at the end of the article which, after 7mins 20 seconds, shows Huntress on the water. **LINK**

Not quite 45kph admittedly, but a lot easier on the nerves.

Dave M

Graham Ashby 1
                    Participant
                      @grahamashby1

Crikey Harry, that's travelling. Thanks for the link, it brought back happy memories. I must try and dig out an old pic of mine, just for interest.

Dave, the speed of your Huntress looks just about perfect – you've sold it to me. That is a lovely model, by the way.

harry smith 1
                      Participant
                        @harrysmith1

Hi Graham

I have the plans on PDF and may be one day build another, but, 25% bigger !!!

Too dam small for my fingers !!!

I ran the Hornet with a 3 blade 30mm CNC prop today.

First pickup to 1/3 throttle was better, but, top end speed down about 5KPH.

I ran my Precedent Huntsman topless today(no cabin).

I was not planning to run it, but, a ballast check for the battery position .

But, the boys said give her a crack!!!

First run the bow was sitting up to much, so I moved the battery forward.

Second run, right on the money!!!

The boat sat level and turned very well !!!!

Only running the 3648-1450kv on 3S with my go to 2 blade 40mm prop.

Harry Smith

Senior- In- Retirement.

Graham Ashby 1
                        Participant
                          @grahamashby1

Hi Harry,

25% bigger sounds terrific. It also sounds as if you had a good day there. I'll be running mine off 3S as Dave suggested, I think.

I've made some modest progress now so I'll post a few snaps later.

Regards

Edited By Graham Ashby on 29/10/2017 22:15:41

Graham Ashby 1
                          Participant
                            @grahamashby1

There it is then, I've made a start! More soon.

img_6172.jpgimg_6159.jpgimg_6186.jpg

Ray Wood 3
                            Participant
                              @raywood3

Hi Graham

Good to see you building a boat again, I wouldn't worry about an expensive motor/battery etc to achieve Warp speed, It will get up on the plane with a 600 size can motor & a 7.2v buggy pack and nip around for 10 minutes, after that you will be bored without the 3rd dimension and adrenilin of taking off and landing a turbine

This my 20% smaller balsa Sea Hornet Minor running on a speed 400

Regards Raysea hornet minor nov 16.jpg

Graham Ashby 1
                              Participant
                                @grahamashby1

Morning Ray,

I'll probably go for the brushless option on the basis that I already have most of the gear. Ha! I'll not get bored but I will enjoy relaxing and not having to land all that expensive machinery! teeth 2

Loving that Sea Hornet. I found a photo of mine old one yesterday. I'll scan it and post an image.

Ray Wood 3
                                Participant
                                  @raywood3

Hi Graham

Yes I stopped short of Turbines, on the basis of flying something with the value of a small family saloon was too scary and I'm still married

Regards Ray

harry smith 1
                                  Participant
                                    @harrysmith1

Hi All

I DO NOT DRIVE FASTER THAN MY GUARDIAN ANGEL CAN FLY.

Harry Smith

Graham Ashby 1
                                    Participant
                                      @grahamashby1
                                      Posted by Ray Wood 2 on 30/10/2017 10:54:30:

Hi Graham

Yes I stopped short of Turbines, on the basis of flying something with the value of a small family saloon was too scary and I'm still married

Regards Ray

Hee hee, very wise Ray!

Graham Ashby 1
                                      Participant
                                        @grahamashby1
                                        Posted by harry smith 1 on 30/10/2017 11:17:18:

Hi All

I DO NOT DRIVE FASTER THAN MY GUARDIAN ANGEL CAN FLY.

Harry Smith

I sent mine a Rolls Royce Pegasus and an afterburner.

Byron Rees…(Ron)
                                        Participant
                                          @byronrees-ron

Hi Graham,

Being a flyboy you'll have loads of B/L gear. That little Sea Breeze will be just perfect running on a 2820 1000kv with a 7.4 Lipo driving a 'K' series 2 blade 33mm prop (from Gliders UK)…..it'll go like stink at 7,400rpm but drive nicely at slow speeds. )Don't forget you have to fit an ESC with reverse- remember them?.

PS. My Desktop PC has died at long last, so can't get my emails at the moment.

Boat looks lovely………..Cheers,

Ron.

Graham Ashby 1
                                          Participant
                                            @grahamashby1

Hi Ron,

Yes I have brushless stuff coming out of my ears. Crikey, yes, reverse! Must remember that wink

Good to hear from you.

ashley needham
                                            Participant
                                              @ashleyneedham69188

Oddly enough I have several …things….with no reverse. This is partly due to the shape of them or their configuration, but also because the aircraft ESC are so cheap. I have been using JP Pro EnerG a program card) units and they are OK. Usefully they cut to a low power setting if they overheat or wotnot, which is very useful, certainly on the pontoon boat as there is no internal ventilation. Also a good example of a craft you just would NOT want to reverse in.

A bit of careful driving goes a long way.

Ashley

Graham Ashby 1
                                              Participant
                                                @grahamashby1

The JP ZTW range of controllers is worth a look Ashley. It's highly likely that I'll use one of those.

Graham Ashby 1
                                                Participant
                                                  @grahamashby1

Well, it's been a busy few weeks but I have managed to do a little. Prop shaft and fittings kit arrived earlier in the week. I shall make some more progress this weekend. Graham

Graham Ashby 1
                                                  Participant
                                                    @grahamashby1

pic.6.jpgpic.7.jpgpic.8.jpg

Byron Rees…(Ron)
                                                    Participant
                                                      @byronrees-ron

HI Graham,

The boat is coming along nicely, neat gluing. I agree with Ashley that we don't always need reverse, certainly when I started boating in the 60's it was difficult to reverse Jap 22 to 40cc petrol engines!, and I also have a couple of models that do not have reverse, my Jet boats (It's mechanical buckets and the like) and my new Azipod drives which are brushless but rotate through 180 degrees.

Paul F introduced me to the Alexander Engel Sub Commander brushless ESC's which Hobby King do for the same price as the small M.Troniks brushed escapes. They start at 30 Amp and are fantastic. No whining nor high pitched whistles, easy to set up (No setup at all really, just 100% forward and 50% reverse as delivered) certainly worth looking at.

My son-in law took my Hard Drive to work, he's something in computer and bank fraud in the police and found a fault on it, recovered all my files so I still have all my articles, photos etc. (It's scarey what these people can find out). Just need a new Tower to replace my 7 year old steam powered one and transfer it all over then I'm back online with the biggy that I do all my work on. (Anybody want a couple of kilos of dust, dead skin cells and dogs hair…yukkkk)

Looking forward to the skinning on the Sea Breeze, (WOT ? no wire stitching and fibreglass!!)

Cheers…….Ron.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 231 total)