Sea Breeze – Vintage Model Boat Company

Advert

Sea Breeze – Vintage Model Boat Company

Home Forums Build Blogs Sea Breeze – Vintage Model Boat Company

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 231 total)
  • Author
    Dave Milbourn
    Participant
      @davemilbourn48782

30p??!! Do you think I'm made of money? wink

DM

Advert
      Graham Ashby 1
      Participant
        @grahamashby1

Looking forward to seeing it Dave, complete with ruinously expensive flashing light!

Dave Milbourn
        Participant
          @davemilbourn48782

Enough of this. The thread is about your Sea Breeze, so let's desist from the persiflage and get on with it!

DM

Ray Wood 3
          Participant
            @raywood3

Hi all,

Thankfully we have access to Mr Google now I know wot that means 😀

Regards Ray

Graham Ashby 1
            Participant
              @grahamashby1

Two steps forward, one step back…

One of 'those' evenings. I'd just finished rubbing down the P.38 in preparation for the second coat of primer and all was well. So, I brought the boat indoors and put in by my desk, (on the carpet so it couldn't fall), sat down to shuffle some paper and inadvertently knocked an old 35mm film camera onto the floor. As is only right for a project that was going too well, the nasty camera fell right on top of the boat, delaminated the deck where it hit, then bounced onto the model's nearby bench seat and broke that too. You couldn't make it up! Anyway, I tried in vain to hide the dent in the deck but failed miserably and have had to resort to letting in a new piece. Hopefully only you and I will notice when the boat's finished but it was a trying few hours. Doh.

indecision

pic.66.jpg

pic.67.jpg

ashley needham
              Participant
                @ashleyneedham69188

Rule number one: the more careful you try to be, the more clumsy you get…

My Walrus has foam wings, it doesn’t matter how careful I am, I catch them on doors, bench, ding them with tools..paintbrush…

Ashley

Graham Ashby 1
                Participant
                  @grahamashby1

How true is that! It's lucky the model is built like a brick outhouse.

Nice to hear from you Ashley. Hope you're well.

Edited By Graham Ashby 1 on 11/12/2019 13:44:37

Graham Ashby 1
                  Participant
                    @grahamashby1

Well chaps, I haven't been completely idle, although I have been suffering a bit of teething trouble with the spraying of the hull that resulted in me applying the first coat of gloss, deciding it wasn't good enough, then rubbing most of it off (along with some primer) to correct a stupid mistake. Finally happy, I reapplied the primer (which then pickled), sorted that out and, eventually, added a fresh coat of gloss, which has gone on much better. Second coat soon and then I'll decide if she needs a third, but I'm thinking probably not.

Anyway, in-between making a right meal of that I had some success with a new paint that we have at work – Guild Materials Silver. As you can see it's cracking stuff (not cheap, mind) and makes a lovely job of turning the kit's white metal fittings into something that resembles polished stainless. What-do-you-reckon? A quick dip and the job's a good'un. I was quite chuffed with the stuff.

pic.68 copy.jpg

pic.69 copy.jpgpic.70 copy.jpg

Edited By Graham Ashby 1 on 15/01/2020 22:47:13

Dave Milbourn
                    Participant
                      @davemilbourn48782

Looks very good, Graham. Did you use any primer, and where can this magic potion be obtained?

Dave M

ashley needham
                      Participant
                        @ashleyneedham69188

That’s mightily impressive Graham. It is amazing what’s out there.

Ashley

Colin Bishop
                          @colinbishop34627

Lovely stuff but that little pot appears to retail at around £20!

Colin

Graham Ashby
                          Participant
                            @grahamashby76887

Morning D and A,

No primer used Dave, just dip it in, or brush it on. It's cracking stuff. At the risk of sounding like a salesman it's available from any Perkins stockist. Not cheap but it goes a very (very) long way. Maybe we could share a bottle, hee hee!

Drop me a PM if you're interested and I'll send you a link to the website.

Graham Ashby
                            Participant
                              @grahamashby76887

Morning Colin, it does indeed. Not cheap but I've been amazed how far it goes.

Colin Bishop
                                @colinbishop34627

Something to bequeath to your heirs then Graham…laugh

Colin

Dave Milbourn
                                Participant
                                  @davemilbourn48782
                                  Posted by Colin Bishop on 16/01/2020 10:46:11:

Something to bequeath to your heirs then Graham…laugh

Colin

Would her name be Lilly, I wonder?

I'll get me coat…

DM

Colin Bishop
                                    @colinbishop34627

Maybe, but I thought Lilies were pink…

I could do with some of the medicinal compound though….

Colin

ashley needham
                                    Participant
                                      @ashleyneedham69188

Expense is relative. If you were making another massive Fairey and wanted lots of chromed fittings on it, it is not expensive compared to trying to get the real thing or getting other stuff plated.

Ashley

Graham Ashby
                                      Participant
                                        @grahamashby76887

Get yer coat Dave. You've lost me on pink Lily, lilies and medicinal compound, and you didn't even mention scaffolding, thank goodness. Mind you, it's been a long day so I'm forgiven. I reckon Ashley's right. I'd hazard a guess that one pot would do more Faireys than even Dave could dream of making. And that's saying something!

Edited By Graham Ashby 1 on 16/01/2020 22:09:43

Dave Milbourn
                                        Participant
                                          @davemilbourn48782

I'd hazard a guess that one pot would do more Faireys than even Dave could dream of making. And that's saying something!

That sounds like a challenge to me.

DM

The Long Build
                                          Participant
                                            @thelongbuild
                                            Posted by Colin Bishop on 16/01/2020 11:17:23:

Maybe, but I thought Lilies were pink…

I could do with some of the medicinal compound though….

Colin

Should I be worried that

A: I like that song

B: I have the Vinyl on 45..!!!

ashley needham
                                            Participant
                                              @ashleyneedham69188

I think DM is up to that challenge! Ashley

Graham Ashby 1
                                              Participant
                                                @grahamashby1

Ashley: Agreed!

Mr Long Build: Yes, definitely.

Hee hee.

G

Nicholas Jarmany 1
                                                Participant
                                                  @nicholasjarmany1

Hi Graham,

I would like to say a huge thank you to you for posting all your photos of your build of Sea Breeze. They have been an enormous help to me, as this is the first model boat I have ever built. I bought the kit about a year ago but have only just got around to starting to build it. After opening the packet and taking a look at the very basic instructions (some pictures and no assembly drawing) I spent a lot of time scratching my head and not assembling anything

Almost immediately I realised the basic instructions and lack of a plan/drawing were a big problem for me. It has not been clear what has to line up with what. For example, if you invert the hull should the top of all the ribs be level with eachother? If I did this I found the bottom of the ribs did not meet the marked line along the bottom of the keel. Also, I found no way to mount B1 as shown and for this to meet the line on the keel – it was clear to me there would be a gap between this rib and the hull when that is assembled. All very confusing! I also found that B2 does not seem tall enough. I assumed I must be completely misunderstanding something.

Then I discovered your thread here and downloaded all your build photos. Looking through them closely I noticed you have put packing pieces along the hull interface of B1 and along the top of B2. This made me realise I am not crazy and something is not quite right about some of the pieces. So much for assuming laser cut parts are 100% accurate!

Having questioned whether I should be prioritising allignment of all ribs with the marked line on the keel OR alignment of a straight line across the top of all ribs I have now proceeded to glue these prioritising the keel line. Am I correct in doing this?

A question for you – how should the tops of the ribs be aligned? If I place a steel rule across the top of all of them what do I need to achieve?

Have you managed to complete your model? Do you have any pictures of the finished item? I would certainly be interested to see.

One last question. I was unsure what glue to use bearing in mind the water application. I guess the days of mixing up cascamite are long gone? I see you are using aliphatic glue, which I have seen variously described as wtareproof and water resistant (not quite the same!). I have bought some Superphatic glue and find that quite good as it wicks very well into wood, allowing glueing after positioning. Do you have any views on this?

Thanks again from a novice hoping to end up with a semiu decent result

Nick

Ray Wood 3
                                                  Participant
                                                    @raywood3

Hi Nicholas,

I doubt you will get a reply from Graham regarding the build, he was editor of Model Boats magazine when he was describing the speedboat build on the forum. I think the answer to your question is yes the top of the ribs should line through to fit the deck line, as I notice Graham had to add make up pieces to some of the bulkheads for the skins to sit on.

Ask which glue is best on here and you will get 6 different answers

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Regards Ray

Nicholas Jarmany 1
                                                    Participant
                                                      @nicholasjarmany1

Hi Ray,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Your answer gives me confidence to proceed withapplying glue to the remaining ribs!

Glue – Can I take it I am not doing anything bad uising Superphatic? What I mean is, the boat won't gradually disintegrate with immersion in water if I use this? Personally I like the way it applies. I don't like CA as it is a bit too quick and doesn't agree with my eyes. Using the fine applicator seems to enable you too place small amounts of glue along joints easily and it seems to wick quite well. Obviously I haven't had a catastrophy yet to test how well it bonds!

I must say I am very much looking forward to getting thgis built and in the water.

Best wishes

Nick

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 231 total)