Nordkap 476

Advert

Nordkap 476

Home Forums Collectors’ corner Nordkap 476

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    harry smith 1
    Participant
      @harrysmith1

Fishing Boat

Advert
      harry smith 1
      Participant
        @harrysmith1

nordkap 1.jpgnordkap 2.jpgnordkap 3.jpgI ended up with this as part payment for restoring the Moorcock(Shove It) tug boat.

Downloaded the plans from Billings and off to the copy shop for a print out to the correct size.

First up as a cleanup and repair to the top of the mast plus restring the forward stays.

Next add a lock down for the rear of the wheelhouse/cabin and two magnets to hold the wheelhouse/cabin from moving forward.

Fired up the motor and what a noise !!!

Checking on the drive the bearing total shot !!!

Board out the shaft which required removing the rudder.

Installing a 4mm stainless prop shaft with Teflon rear bearing and a ball race inner bearing.

The replacement is a 40mm 3 blade brass prop.

Oiler for both the drive and rudder.

Next installing the rudder servo whilst waiting some machine work for the rudder shaft and a thread to be cut on the prop shaft.

I have replace the 4.8 volt motor with a slow turn 540 motor which sounds slower revs that my go to 80 turn rock crawler motors(5400 rpm @7.2 volts).

Harrynordkap 4.jpg

harry smith 1
        Participant
          @harrysmith1

nordkap 5.jpgHi All

A side project was making a new boat stand with door stoppers for feet.

Also stops the stand moving around in the car, plus I can get my fingers under to lift up.

Installed the oiler tube to the prop shaft and started on the rudder servo mounts.

Harrynordkap 6.jpg

ashley needham
          Participant
            @ashleyneedham69188

Nice work Harry, as always.

Have you thought about putting straps on the stands?? Makes carrying them much easier.

Ashley

harry smith 1
            Participant
              @harrysmith1

Hi Ashley

I did that on the five foot Moorcock to hold it on the trolley.

Starter cord from a lawn mower and ladies hair elastic bands worked great.

Not planning it for my models.

Harry

harry smith 1
              Participant
                @harrysmith1

Hello All

Installed the rudder servo today.

Also replaced the four lights with LED 3 foot lights in the workshop.

Added a heat Lamp from the old bathroom light/fan to replace the fan heater.

Pickup over 300 model boat plans, so that's my Winter project as I live in Tasmania.

Starting a data base and getting them onto PDF as some for the old paper plans are in very poor condition.

Harry

ashley needham
                Participant
                  @ashleyneedham69188

Led battens are fantastic. There was a bit of a discussion in today’s boating about replacing fluorescent tubes with led ones.

A heater?? Surely not in boiling Taz..

Ashley

harry smith 1
                  Participant
                    @harrysmith1

Hi Ashley

The six meter square garage does get a bit nippy in Winter.

Helps the paint dry.

The four single single LED batten lights ( WHITE) are far better lights, plus 36 Watts each down to 6 Watts a power saver!!!

The 250Watt Tastic light/heater not so !!!

Harry

harry smith 1
                    Participant
                      @harrysmith1

Hi All

A few jobs done after my bits turned up.

Prop shaft cut and motor with metal coupling all in place.

Glue in the rudder tube with the oiler.

Glue the new shape rudder to the 4mm shaft and fibreglass resin all the stern area of the boat.

Impossible to get to the forward area, hope it built well !!!

Harry

gecon
                      Participant
                        @gecon

Hello Harry, seems a bit daft but I've logged for the sole purpose of writing that I like your Nordkap 476. Lovely subject and great to get one ready -ish built. It has long been a favourite of mine.

Inititially (about 15 years ago) I was going to build one just to get a hull which wroughly resembled the Fisher motorsailer. I have been viewing the kit recently at my local model shop. The Admiralty is however not a big fan of the building of planked hulls on the kitchen tablesad.

Nordkap translates to North Cape (northern Norway) where this British built trawler was often deployed. Looking forward to seeing your Nordkap on the water.

George

harry smith 1
                        Participant
                          @harrysmith1

Hi Gecon

The Admiralty, does not know about this one, it's hidden !!!

She knows about the 40" PT 109 I bought complete with radio, batteries and charger.

Harry

Richard Simpson
                          Participant
                            @richardsimpson88330

Unless, of course, she reads this!

harry smith 1
                            Participant
                              @harrysmith1

Hi Richard

She does not use computers !!!

So I am safe as houses, until she finds in the shed.

I have changed the rudder design mainly at the bottom with a change to the lower keel area.

Harry

harry smith 1
                              Participant
                                @harrysmith1

Hi Lads

I have replaced some of the rigging, but, I few fixing points missing from the boat.

I mainly got all the radio setup and the steering working.

I cut the max forward speed to 50% as I am running direct drive.

I have a few more items on my to do list, but it's ready for a test and ballast run on Saturday.

As Autumn is running into Winter and 25C today but Saturday forecast is 15C.

Harry

Chris Fellows
                                Participant
                                  @chrisfellows72943
                                  Posted by harry smith 1 on 24/04/2023 08:29:36:

Hi Gecon

She knows about the 40" PT 109 I bought complete with radio, batteries and charger.

Harry

She knows now! smiley

banner.jpg

harry smith 1
                                  Participant
                                    @harrysmith1

rudder size.jpgrudder new shape.jpgHi Chris

Thank God, it was cloudy and she missed the fly over !!!!!

A few pics of my rudder setup.

Harryrudder setup.jpg

harry smith 1
                                    Participant
                                      @harrysmith1

Hi Lads

Well the was better than the forecast !!!

After ballasting the boat, it was off to sea trails.

Very, very little touch on the throttle.

Sailed very well and with the increase in rudder area the turning was great.

Not happy with the ESC (too slow from forward to reverse) will change out to a Hobbywing Quicrun 1060.

Miss out on another one (unfinished) with motor, etc.($100au).

About the same in Postage, so wife happy but not me.

Harry

harry smith 1
                                      Participant
                                        @harrysmith1

nordkap 2.jpgHello All

Just two pictures of the Nordkap on it's first trip to sea.nordkap 1.jpg

Richard Simpson
                                        Participant
                                          @richardsimpson88330
                                          Posted by Chris Fellows on 26/04/2023 12:51:53:

Posted by harry smith 1 on 24/04/2023 08:29:36:

Hi Gecon

Harry

She knows now! smiley

banner.jpg

Brilliant!

I must admit that what I think she knows invariably turns out to be grossly incorrect.

Richard Simpson
                                          Participant
                                            @richardsimpson88330

The model looks superb Harry. Out for the morning catch.

harry smith 1
                                            Participant
                                              @harrysmith1

Hi Richard

A bit of a poor catch, but did ram a French fishing boat( It must have been sea fog) and towed in a big broken Aircraft Carrier.

So it was an interesting day, just filling out the salvage writes !!!

Harry

Edited By harry smith 1 on 05/05/2023 09:04:47

harry smith 1
                                              Participant
                                                @harrysmith1

Hi All

Second trip out to sea with a large cut in motor power!!!

40% forward and 50% reverse, which still a bit over scale speed.

Full reverse stops the boat in it's own length !!!

End dry side, but I did fibreglass resin the areas I could get too.

I have changed the ESC to a Quicrun 1060 and is far better changing from forward to reverse.

Harry

gecon
                                                Participant
                                                  @gecon

Looks really great on the water Harry, almost regret having just bought a 'cube' of a tug.

George

harry smith 1
                                                  Participant
                                                    @harrysmith1

Hi George

The Smit Nederland is a great tug with tank steering, loads of fun reversing around buoys and marks.

The Nordkap would have been better with a geared motor but was setup for direct drive.

At 40% forward throttle is still over scale speed which I can trim down more.

At 100% throttle would pass a destroyer!!!

Harry

harry smith 1
                                                    Participant
                                                      @harrysmith1

Hi All

Well not a good day for the boat at all !!!

A lot of the white filler open up along the keel, so a ship load of water inside.

The first two trips out, dry as a bone.

So back to the work bench and cutting out both sides of the keel.

I have slip her inside to dry out the wood (wife knot happy about that).

Harry

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)