Fairey Swordsman 33

Advert

Fairey Swordsman 33

Home Forums Build Blogs Fairey Swordsman 33

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 126 through 133 (of 133 total)
  • Author
    gecon
    Participant
      @gecon

Well that's what they say Chris, " Give me five". smiley  

I would like a 47" Huntsman, but there'll be 'trouble at mill' if I one arrives in this flat. Of course the box itself doesn't look too big, but once the keel and hull is produced…..thumbs downangry 2 so the nearest I'll get is following your build log Chris -or maybe the 47" is the wrong scale for you?

George

Edited By gecon on 23/01/2022 07:12:06

Advert
      Chris Fellows
      Participant
        @chrisfellows72943

Hi George

I'm building all my Faireys at the same scale i.e. 1:12 so there won't be a 47" one.

I did buy one off EBay when I first got interested about 4 years ago but found it a bit big and heavy to move around the house, never mind launch and recover so I sold it to a fellow club member.

He fitted a brushless motor, which was my intention, and it looks good and goes well.

Chris

img_0368.jpg

Edited By Chris Fellows on 23/01/2022 15:14:08

gecon
        Participant
          @gecon

I looked through your previous threads after I posted yesterday, and saw the ref. to a 47-incher!

Looks impressive!… but as you say, big and heavy. The Colin Archer has now passed 8kg. and there's still about 2kg more to add! I'll have to make some kind of launching strap….oh, forgot…I bought cheap waders last year!

George

Chris Fellows
          Participant
            @chrisfellows72943

Just a bit more on the Swordsman.

P38 has been used to fair in where the prop tube and P bracket enter the hull and left to fully harden before sanding.

And many thanks to eagle eyed Ray! I managed to get the rudder tube out without damaging the hull (glad I used epoxy putty and not epoxy glue!) and replaced it with one that cleared the waterline i.e. not cut down!

Must check my other builds!  laugh

Chris

Edited By Chris Fellows on 03/02/2022 16:50:19

Chris Fellows
            Participant
              @chrisfellows72943

I've returned to the Swordsman so that like the other builds I can get the rudder servo fitted. Due to the size and weight of the model and the forces on the rudder when turning at speed I've decided to go for double horns/arms on the servo and rudder.

Spent a few bob this week on buying another Fastrax double horn for the servo (my now standard manufacturer) and a couple of single horns for other builds/stock along with some more threaded rod and ball-head connecters. I also bought 30amp and 60amp ESCs to add to the 60amp one I bought awhile ago for the builds. I tend to buy the motors when I first start a build so that I spread their costs out and it is available for working out the position of the prop shaft and engine mount positions. I haven't bought an ESC for the Swordsman yet as I'm going to use a 120amp one for plenty of spare capacity and they ain't cheap!

I've used low-profile servos with nylon gears in a couple of other builds but due to what I said above I'm using a more powerful metal geared standard height servo of which I bought a couple previously for this purpose. It needs to sit on the line of the keel which results in the horn being above the rudder arm. I don't want to put bends in the rods and introduce flex so have marked out the keel to take some timber out. Should have covered the low-profile servo up before creating sawdust!

Before doing this I attended to something else. This is the first model that I drew up and started to build and whenever I work on it that big slab of a 6mm ply bulkhead bugs me! Also the boat is getting quite heavy now and the reduction in weight will be welcome. I had thought of cutting out the centre before but now decided to do it. I'm now happy but the piece taken out didn't weigh that much!

With that done I tuned to opening up the top of the hole in the rearmost bulkhead where the rudder arm connecters fouled so that the rudder had more movement. This provided more than required and the rudder throw will be limited by the Tx.

Was going to cut out the keel but was conscious of the noise I'd been making in the house over the last couple of days so will leave that until next week.

Chris

servo 1.jpg

servo 2.jpg

bulkhead mod 1.jpg

bulkhead mod 2.jpg

bulkhead mod 3.jpg

Edited By Chris Fellows on 06/03/2022 16:34:32

Chris Fellows
              Participant
                @chrisfellows72943

Haven't been able to spend much time on the builds lately but last week I created some noise and sawdust cutting out the recess to lower the servo and started making the servo mount. I usually use ply but for a change used some nice bass sheet (I think it's bass) which I'd got, which is easier to cut and sand but is still plenty strong enough.

As luck would have it, with the sides against the servo, the mount slips over the keel so securing it in place will be easy. As with the Huntress, one of the servo bearers (beech) is removeable so that the servo can be removed and refitted. Some of the parts had been cut out and glued last week and so this morning I cut and drilled the removeable bearer and once this was screwed together and the servo to it the servo mount was glued in place. There was a small amount of space between the sides and the keel but I had some very thin ply which once glued provided a nice snug fit and ensured a strong glue joint.

Chris

servo 3.jpg

servo 5.jpg

servo 6.jpg

servo 8.jpg

servo 9.jpg

gecon
                Participant
                  @gecon

I often study the clean, precise carpentry work on your builds. Nothing short of superb, and a joy to behold!

George

Chris Fellows
                  Participant
                    @chrisfellows72943

Thanks George.

It's Ok but not that good. I always think I could do better! Especially when I notice things on the photos!

Chris

Edited By Chris Fellows on 21/03/2022 21:03:42

Viewing 8 posts - 126 through 133 (of 133 total)