Eventide

Advert

Eventide

Home Forums Building Kits Eventide

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Michael Hardwick
    Participant
      @michaelhardwick70418

Hiya everyone please forgive me if my question appears to be a little basic.

I've built model boats before but never a sailing boat. Today I picked up the latest Model Boat mag with a view to build the Eventide from the featured plans.

Looking over the plans which are easy to follow along with the artical notes there is very little mention or explanation of the construction and rigging of the mast.

Is there anyone who can give me some pointers and advise on materials, dimensions and know.

I note that there is mention on the plan for Forstay, Backstay& Shrouds I assume these are the fixing brackets and rigging. (please excuse my lack of nautical knowledge)

Any help would appreciated

Cheers Michael

Advert
      Michael Hardwick
      Participant
        @michaelhardwick70418

Mast and rigging

Richard Simpson
        Participant
          @richardsimpson88330

Hi Michael, Firstly welcome to the forum, secondly feel free to ask as many questions as you like. You are in the perfect place as the gent who drew the plan is a member of this forum and will I'm sure answer you question the next time he logs in. In the meantime he recently put up a build log on here of the Eventide so you can read through that for further information as well. Have a look here:

Eventide Thread

Ray Wood 3
          Participant
            @raywood3

Hi Michael,

Thanks Richard for posting the link to the build thread

Yes I imagine if you are not familiar with sailing boats this would be a challenge, this design is really aimed at the experienced sailor who will make his own choices on the rig, there are many designs available which show the detail of the fittings to purchase or to make yourself.

Our Editor wanted a more complex subject as a free plan this month that required a variety of skills and where some further research would be required. we have mentioned on the drawing and in the article that this is not a beginners project really. I have been sailing fullsize and making models for 60 years and try to bring a new feature with each design, on this one being the split level decks which make her so attractive.

I hope this doesn't put you off having a go and please feel free to ask specific questions, there is quite a lot of building to do before you need to worry about the rig

Regards Ray

Michael Hardwick
            Participant
              @michaelhardwick70418

Hiya Ray thank you for your reply.

I've been joiner/furniture builder thoughout my working life and a model builder for much of that time when my boys were growing up, 3 aircraft and a wooden 1/32 KD PERKASA to name some.

I am at present restoring the and converting the Perkasa to electric power for my grandchildren hence the purchase of this months Model Boats for parts etc.

The EVENTIDE plans immediately roused my interest, it looks likely to be an interesting build.

Like all tasks I like to see where the likely problems will be. I have limited knowledge of sailing boats having only ever been aboard 2 and in both the cases the mast was from keel through to deck level and it was that I was looking for when I looked at the plan and if that is case with this craft then my thoughts were that provision will have to made at the outset..

I am not put off, the challenge makes it worthwhile and it will be good to learn to sail with my grandchildren at their local park which has regular model boat activities.

I will post more specific questions when I'm ready to start building in the new year.

Kind regards Michael

Chris Fellows
              Participant
                @chrisfellows72943

As per the others welcome from me also.

Given your occupation you will have no problem with this build and as you say good to plan ahead and anticipate things.

Let us know when you want to begin sourcing parts and materials etc. and we will point you in the right direction.

Chris

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)